Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I am now looking for batteries for long term usage as a primary source for power for an off grid situation.
    the amp hours are of some concern but as they can be added by more batteries the main concern is the duty cycle of 80% depth of discharge and at least 11,000 cycles i would prefer more.

anyone have any suggestions?

so far i have found http://www.ecamion.com/ great batteries but expensive
    http://ironedison.com/ i dont kow anyone running these but the principle is solid, any first hand info?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I worked for Interstate Batteries for a couple of years when I was younger. Technology has changed a lot since I worked there but the principles are the same. More lead more reserve capacity. Discharging a battery frequently below a certain level can shorten the battery life. You will be better of with more batteries than you need. Of course that will increase the cost up front but will help extend the life of all of the batteries in the string. For power systems there are generally 2 types of batteries used, lead acid and sealed gell cell. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Lead acid batteries are going to out gas, that is realease hydrogen gas during the chemical process between the acid and lead. You need good ventilation or you could have an explosion. The lead acid batteries require maintenance to keep them operating at peak performance. You will need to monitor acid levels and specific gravity. Specific gravity is how concentrated the acid is. It takes some work but a good lead acid battery can last a long time if properly taken care of. Sealed gell cell batteries are pretty much zero maintenance and have little or no out gassing. However once they start declining there is nothing you can do but replace it. Having a bad battery in your string will start dragging your other batteries down so monitoring any type of battery system is critical. All that being said in the world of batteries you pretty much get what you pay for. For a home system don’t skimp you will spend less money in the long run.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

A Tesla house battery sounds good if it ever comes to market. Until then gel cells. They weigh around 200 pounds each and thats about the limit of what a person can move easily. By the time you get 6-10-12 gel cells hooked up its a lot of weight. You need a concrete or earth floor. I keep gel cells in my cellar hooked up to an inverter which is high and dry running 24/7. The power goes off it switches right away. The nice thing about gels is when my cellar is water logged from snow melt the gels are totally sealed.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen is right the Tesla battery is the new way to store energy. I read an article on there work. Hope it happens.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

What looks like a pretty useful site is the following:

http://www.freesunpower.com/

There’s a lot of discussion about kinds of batteries, types of solar panels, what type of inverter to get get, wire sizes for various lengths and amperages, etc.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.