Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirl,
    Complete agreement.

Profile photo of Precious_Roy
    Precious_Roy
    Survivalist
    member2

I thought the purpose behind M855 was better barrier penetration over M193 because the military was having problems with it not penetrating cover. I’ve also been told that it goes straight through soft targets leaving a .22 hole and doesn’t tumble. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I would assume M1/M2 ball would perform better? Maybe the point is like others have said, to encroach more and see what they can get by with or to drive sales of M855 or just run the prices up.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’ve also been told that it goes straight through soft targets leaving a .22 hole and doesn’t tumble – P-Roy

A bullet from a rifle doesn’t need to tumble to create damage. Shoot a full soda can with a 22lr and see what happens, the can essentially explodes. The bullet entering the can creates pressurization of the liquid bursting the can. A high velocity bullet passing through wet tissue (human bodies are bags of water) pressurizes the surrounding tissue causing damage. Soft points and hollow points increase the effect transferring more of the bullet’s energy into the tissues.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’ve read the max effective range of a 5.56 for it to fragment is about 200m. Beyond that … a hole. The energy isn’t there.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO

Brulen,
    We beat the effectiveness of the 5.56 to death a while ago. Wikipedia has a good objective analysis from all points of view for anyone that is interested or hasn’t already come to their own conclusions.

For most people terminal performance is not the only criteria to use when picking a firearm and cartridge. If it was we would all have a 50bmg.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is a link to a ballistic-chart for the 5.56×45

http://www.barnaul.co.nz/ballistic-charts-2/5-56-x-45-55gn

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Great 74… Rick Grimes carries an AK. So will I when the shtf. lol

Do you have a reference to the thread you’re referring to?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    I’m guessing it’s in here.

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/shtf-weapons-your-thoughts/

With your AK you still have a 200yrd gun.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

With my eyes , I dont need more than that . AK for me as well .

Profile photo of Precious_Roy
    Precious_Roy
    Survivalist
    member2

I’ve been reading wikipedia and other articles(thanks for the link) and apparently there is much better stuff out there now. I assume the draw for most people with this is because it was the NATO standard for so long they produced tonnes of it there is a huge supply and until recently not too much demand ergo low prices. Is the newer stuff available on the market?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Newer? Most commercially avail 855 is new manufacture. Same for SS109.
    Contract overruns, intentional or sccidental, as well as just making a wanted product.

As to better? What criteria for better?
    Pretty much all HP and SP loads provide better terminal ballistics than any ball round.

And assuming a compatible barrel twist, better accuracy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m don’t know if anyone looked at the balistics chart, but the 5.56 at 750 yards, has about the same energy as a 22lr has at the muzzle.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>I’m don’t know if anyone looked at the balistics chart, but the 5.56 at 750 yards, has about the same energy as a 22lr has at the muzzle.

And you don’t want to get hit with other.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.