Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have been on their website many times, but it appears that Body Armor Outlet now offers a kit that includes 2 plates and 2 side plates of AR500 for about $200 shipped with insurance. This is really a great price.

The plates are the extra large ones and the side plates are the 6x8inch, which are also large.

BAO Tactical D-Stryke – AR500 Level III Steel Armor Plate Kit (2) – 11″ x 14″ (2) – 6″ x 8″ [(2) BAO-THAPAR500III-11x14S (2) BAO-THAPAR500III-6×8]
    Features:

Size: (2) 11” x 14” & (2) 6″ x 8″
    Outlasts Ceramic, Dyneema, and UHMWPE constructed body armor
    Rugged, Reliable, and Stress Fracture Resistant
    Multi-Hit capable and Stand-Alone
    Level III Rifle threat rated for calibers up to 7.62×51 (.308 Winchester) at 2,780fps
    Shooters & Flat Cut
    Base layer of Anti-spall & fragmentation protective coating
    Certification, Independent, and In-House Ballistic Resistant Testing & Quality Control
    Designed to be used as a front or back plate
    .25” Ultra Low Profile
    11″ x 14″ Weight: 10.10 lbs each
    6″ x 8″ Weight: 3.8 lbs each
    100% Made in the USA
    This model complies with NIJ Standard-0101.06 Shot Placement & Deformation Standards

Protection Information (*NIJ Level III Certification Threat)

Military
    7.62 x 51mm – M80 FMJ
    2764 fps

Military
    5.56 x 45mm – Ball
    3049 fps

Russian
    7.62 x 39mm – MSC
    2443 fps

Winchester A2HG15
    12-gauge – Slug
    1669 fps

Remington R13XB5254
    12-gauge – 00 BK
    1267 fps

http://ageofdecadence.com

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Oh…. Just so you know: Yes, I did just order myself a set. I will be passing along my smaller ceramic plates to my wife so we will both have Level III armor. I will just have to get her a carrier in the next paycheck or two.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for the info Sled.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Very good price, book market it. Thank you Sir.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

No problem. Also picked up some Level II soft, concealable armor, trauma pad and undershirt for $260 shipped. I wanted something to wear while bouncing on the weekends after the last few crazy weekends and shootings.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Interesting thing about body armor plates in a war zone , In Ukraine , the soldiers are not wearing them for bullet protection , they are wearing them for protection from shell and grenade fragments . Deaths and injuries from shrapnel have dropped dramatically if they are worn , deaths from bullets remain about the same , with or without . They are using the AK rifle grenades there liberally , known as VOGs , the hit the ground , and like a bouncing betty , jump up a few feet ….then explode , Both sides have an automatic grenade launcher , looks like a belt fed machine gun , and instead of cartridges , they are VOGs .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Crud did it again.

Long post short, I’d rather have a good soft concealable vest with trauma plates than an external carrier and plates. That Molle carrier and plates gives the bad guy the idea or impression that you are wearing armor, and he’s more likely to target some other body parts, such as your head or legs.

Two reasons:
    Getting shot sucks. Getting shot with the vest not against your body fairly tightly sucks more. It allows the vest to accelerate before it hits you. You want to be part of the energy absorption not receiving its energy.
    Think of a fist. Put the fist against you and then have 50 lbs of energy used against you, not so bad.
    Now have the fist 3″ away and the same energy used, it hurts.

Secondly, I’m wearing a concealable vest, the bad guy is more likely to target my chest not my head or crotch, as above.
    Now I’m worrying about taking cover and returning fire not stopping the bleeding.

One thing to look at, the Bank of America robbery with the heavily armored bad guys.
    How’d the second guy get taken out? With all that armor that was stopping the 9mm’s and shotgun buckshot, how’d he get stopped?
    Yup, a cop with a rifle chewed his feet out from under him, shooting under the car.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I agree with Whirlibird the external carrier and plates will be seen. If you buy these make an concealable vest and put on a shirt over it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    I don’t agree with your logic. Your supposition is based on a confrontation in the open with both parties in view of each other. Someone in a defensive position inside their bob for instance would probably not be in veiw where an attacker would see what they were wearing. Moving around on the street in day light I can see where your theory might have merit. But really protecting as much of your vitals as posible makes more ssense than leaving them unprotected because you might take a hit in an unprotected area instead Basicly your saying go without body armor and risk a hit to the heart because it’s better than a shot to the head. ????????.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

No my theory is based upon having worn both concealable and external armor.
    Concealable every working day for 10 years.

Armor sucks to wear, its as simple as that.
    I never said not to wear armor, I was very specific about wearing a concealable vest.

I gave several reasons why external armor may be a bad choice.

Here’s another from the lost post, since ’99, with the rise of armored thugs such as the BOA guys, both cops and the general public has been taught to shoot above and below external armor. In 5 classes I’ve been to it was specifically mentioned.

And I was more considering the home invader at 3am.
    And for those of us who live in our bol, choosing an option that allows us to wear the armor to the grocery or wallyworld without attracting the same attention as a plate carrier is something to be considered.

You want to pull on 20lbs of plate carrier and play tactical tommy, by all means go ahead, me I’ll keep doing my secret squirrel stuff. Much like the whole open carry debacle in Texas, great you won you can carry openly. Now pull your shirt back over it so the bad guy doesn’t know who’s carrying.

Bad guy enters a room, who does he shoot first? The guy with the gun.
    Armor hasn’t been a secret since the 70’s, the bad guys have long known to shoot over it. Bad guy sees you in armor, he ain’t gonna shoot at your carrier.
    And frankly I’d rather take one or two in the K30 insert on my concealed vest and have the opportunity to return fire rather than take one or more elsewhere and be more worried about Celox and tourniquets.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    Personally I don’t intend to meet invaders inside my home to give them a look at my attire. Even so, at 3:00 am as they are breaking in, you’re going to take the time to hide your vest under a shirt?

My thinking is if I’m getting shot at and there is a high probability of 7.62×39 being used, then I would like protection suitable for that purpose. Wearing armor less capable is senseless in the situation.

As far as hiding armor, a person can put a XXXL over a carrier and look like half of the population and no one would think a thing about it. That extra 20lbs will just make you walk closer to the proper half step stride.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I was passing along a great deal on plates. You can get minimal carriers without MOLLE for less than $100 that are very concealable under a jacket or baggy shirt. Not a big deal there. Even my Mayflower is pretty concealable without the kangaroo pouch. Remember that steel plates are much thinner than ceramic or poly. REALLY thin compared to the poly ones actually. Those are in NO way concealable.

The nice thing about these is:
    1) Their price for all 4 pieces.
    2) The fact that steel plates are multi shot where most ceramics are 3-4 hits before they are too spidered to stop additional rounds.
    3) This kit has 6×8 side plates versus 6×6 like most companies offer/push.

My soft armor should arrive today. I picked up Level II concealed armor as well. I went with II instead of IIIA because it stops all rounds I call “banger calibers” such as 9mm, .40, .45, and even 357. Basically all the pistol calibers except for hunting magnums. I am no expert, but I don’t think I have ever seen a gang banger arrested with a 454 Casull shoved into a belt. Also has a trauma pad. The thickness is actually not so bad that I can’t throw my steel over the concealed if I am in a hurry.

The only times I have had to wear armor was in the military. I have worn flak jackets, ceramic plates in the crappy MOLLE carriers that were be transitioned into service in the early 2000’s, and the Second Chance vests used in tracked vehicles. My soft armor is about the same as the Second Chance vests we wore. They aren’t that bad to wear albeit they do get hot. Flak’s were annoying and hot, but they helped keep your other gear from rubbing holes in your body and they worked VERY well to lock your helmet into the collar so that you could sleep in a moving vehicle. The hard plates are very uncomfortable, hot, and are completely unforgiving. They are, however, the best option for protection. Your carrier’s internal padding makes a huge difference IMO at to whether you will never wear it or actually use it.

As to covertness of body armor:
    I figure that plate armor is made for protection. If it comes down to a situation where we have to wear it versus soft armor, being seen is more dangerous than being seen with a combat load out and full body armor. If the thinner steel plates can be hidden by a coat to some degree, WOOT! Either way you are going to be a bullet magnet to some degree no matter what. Better to be a protected bullet magnet than one that is completely squishy.

And yes…. I have helmets for the wife and I as well. They are the old PASGT ones, but I will probably get a MICH helmet with NVG mounts in the next year or two along with PVS-14 for me. Just going to have to save up for that since I am going to be quitting my second job en lieu of other projects and time with my new grandson.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled, I appreciate you posting the link and your comments. I’m posting a link to the National Institute of Justice selection guide to help anyone with questions regarding the proper level to chose.

https://www.officerstore.com/images/nijspec2.htm

“Consider this brief excerpt from the National Institute of Justice’s Publication, Selection and Application Guide to Personal Body Armor

The first step in selecting the appropriate protection level of body armor is to establish the level of protection that users need based on the realistic weapon threat they face. To date, body armor has not been known to fail to prevent the penetration of a bullet constituting a threat equal to or less than the protection rating of the armor. However, officers have died from wounds received from weapons or ammunition exceeding the rated protection of the armor.”

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Were is the cheapest place to purchase soft armor?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

One thing to remember, a level 2 vest from one manufacturer will stop the same as another manufacturers.

So what’s the difference between the two different prices?
    Comfort.
    A $400 vest is not the same as a $1000 vest.
    regardless your chest will smell like your feet, but when you’re spending 10 -12 hours in it, all those little things are magnified.

FYI, waterproof layers suck even more.

Try em on before you buy.

Are the Second Chance products worth twice the price to me?
    They were when I had to buy my own vest.
    Still are.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.