Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Scientists have warned that the world’s banana crop, worth £26 billion and a crucial part of the diet of more than 400 million people, is facing “disaster” from virulent diseases immune to pesticides or other forms of control.

Black sigatoka, another fungus to have spread from Asia, has decimated production in parts of the Caribbean since it arrived in the 1990s, reducing exports by 90 to 100 per cent in five countries.

Source

I’m a strong advocate for sustainable agriculture. Permaculture and not monocrops are the way forward. Unfortunately big money has different plans and many farmers are easily tricked into switching their crop production to GMO or other “artificially” created species. What you see here now is a “Death of Grass” scenario for Bananas.

A more positive kind of news is that we might have found another planet to live on… (and destroy).

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

A total lunar eclipse set to sweep the skies on April 14-15 and turn the moon blood-red just before midnight

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Thank you for sharing this, Jay.
    Definitely something to watch.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

So much for the Banana Republics.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Since I live in South Florida I am going to start growing Bananas. I have done this before, they are easy to grow.

Jay I read this on the news too! You are right it is all about the money. When I grow Bananas they are small not the watered down big Bananas you get in the market. They are also sweeter.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom – bananas ARE easy to grow in SFlorida. Pretty too. The reason store bananas and fruit taste inferior to home grown is because they are picked well before they are ripe, packed on refrigerated cargo ships and sent to the produce wholesaler. The wholesalers have huge rooms they then stack it in and gas it to make it ripen. Know something about the banana trade….oddly…from a former life/career

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

We all know world habitation numbers are unsustainable and something will come along and ‘cull the field’, history bears this out repeatedly, will this be the next ‘population reducing’ even? Will be interesting too see.

Thanks for sharing Jay.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva , thank you for that information, I didn’t know how they ripen them. WOW! gas.

You are right I have grown them here. Also grown the Plantain. They also selling again the orange, lime and grapefruit trees. I saw them today at a Home Depot. I will be buying some.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freddom try and get dwarf or semidwarf trees…smaller, easier to prune/reach fruit and won’t shade out your yard..case you never grew them before. To save space you can train them on a wire/trellis called espallier..used to do in Fl …was fun

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I just can’t buy into this we destroyed the planet stuff. Most of what we build only lasts a few centuries. If you dig under the surface of the earth you find older evidence of we. Earth did a pretty good job of hiding old we spots. Im fairly certain this big old ball has a way better chance of destroying all of we, then we of it.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

@1974t150v I also think that the planet earth will win in the end.

We also grow a couple of bananas. I’m not too concerned about them, but it is interesting to see what can happen quickly. Now if we get a virus that destroys all corn, wheat or rice… that might be a bit more problematic.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974t150v – I think we humans are but an irritating zit to our blue planet but nature changes, things ebb and flow…I can’t ignore that as I prepare.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva, And by no means do I think you should. I wouldn’t bother being here on the site if didn’t think things will change. Maybe the earth will be destoyed but not by man. Our capability to harm each other is well documented.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Nature in the end will win. 1974t150v, Man has since the beginning been at war with each other. So you are right.

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

I’m too high of an elevation to grow bananas or citrus, but I have citrus trees anyways. I just bring them indoors during the winter months, and they still produce. I’ll have to include a banana tree now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.