Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Hurricanes
    In South Africa we are fairly lucky regarding the elements like volcanoes, earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes. I’ve experienced two hurricanes as a child while living on the eastern side of Southern Africa. Had crocodiles swimming past our garden then and the lake above our house was also then named Lake Panic, our little town not sure if it’s going to keep all that water in? Our side of town quickly turned into an island. But I cannot remember being scared. Will have to ask my mother how she felt. We only bought food once a month being in the bush.

Seeking Shelter, Bracing for Hurricane Patricia
    In the news it seems like the radio amateurs in Mexico are starting operations on 7.060MHz LSB. People are encouraged to keep this frequency clear as the situation develops.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Update : It has since been downgraded to a Category Two tropical storm.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-34625357

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

The storm touched down in western Mexico on Friday, bringing destructive winds and rain, but heavy damage appears to have been avoided.

The NHC said winds had decreased to 120 km/h (75 mph) as Patricia rapidly weakened over land, making it a Category One storm, and the centre forecasts that it will dissipate by Saturday night.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Hurricanes can be fickle in terms of the path they take and their intensity but of all the major environmental hazards, people at least have fair warning before hurricanes hit. I am always amazed when the day after a hurricane hits so many people whose homes were not damaged are screaming for govt. assistance because they don’t have any food or water. I don’t know which part of a hurricane is coming they didn’t understand.

One of my brothers used to live in Florida about a mile in from the water. I asked him about his evacuation plans given the risk of storm surges. He said he didn’t worry about that on account he was on high ground …..17 feet above sea level. Everything is relative I suppose.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.