Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ehanzo_1
    ehanzo_1
    Survivalist
    member1

Live with less emotion, you will live longer.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

After any natural disaster there is a window when 1st responders cannot respond. No fire trucks, no cops, no medics, no nothing. You are on your own. The time varies depending on the severity of the disaster. It can be as little as less than an hour up to days.

Hurricanes are something you typically have advance warning for. This means that bad guys have advance notice too. Many years ago we had a hurricane coming and everyone on my street bugged out, except me. A hurricane will typically drop one category in power when it makes landfall, and the further inland it travels the weaker it gets. I knew enough about such storms to know that by the time it hit us it was going to be just a nasty thunderstorm.

As the neighbors were packing to leave, I pointed out to my wife that there were a couple of small cars each with a couple of young guys that had gang tattoos and colors. I also noted that they were pointing at houses and taking notes. My wife thought I was nuts when I told her they would be back the second the storm was over.

They showed up about 30 minutes after the rain stopped. I was ready for them. I had my SKS loaded with a 30 round clip and my combat sling holding it over my chest. My brother was covering me with a 12 ga. shotgun with .50 cal sabot slugs from cover.

They were driving slow and stopping and looking at the note pad. When they passed in front of my house I stepped out from behind a truck right by the passenger side window. My SKS was pointed at the ground below the car door and I was standing facing the same direction as the car. It was obvious all I had to do was tilt the rifle and they were dead. When I asked them if I could help them they froze, turned white as a sheet and about **** right there.

The passenger said, “We are lost.”
    I said, “Go be lost somewhere else.”
    He said, “Yes Sir.”

They then drove away quickly and we never saw them again.

My wife thinks I am slightly less nuts now.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Pheonix wrote:</div>
    My wife thinks I am slightly less nuts now.

Lucky man.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Pheonix, those guys (and others like them) may not go away so easily in a true SHTF scenario. They know that order will be restored quickly enough following a hurricane and so were just looking for some quick low risk pickings during that post-storm/pre-restoration of order window. Come a longer term event they will be a bigger threat, and there will be more of them. Hopefully your neighbors realize that.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

My neighbors are sheep. In a real SHTF scenario these guys would have never heard the gunshots.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yea, in most of the short term SHTF scenarios, most of the bad guys will go up to the certain level of violence and risk.
    Real danger is when some real longer SHTF scenario happen, and guys like those realize that there is no real punishment for them, or going back, at least for some time, then they are becoming really nasty.

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will touch on the home invasions a little more for Jay. I had just moved into a new house with my pregnant wife and my 2 year old daughter. I happened to notice the motion light in the back yard come on and took my 9mm with me to investigate. I waited just inside the door, I didn’t want to get jumped. I spoke to whatever was there and it spooked him enough to make him run. The second time was similar, only on my front porch. I reported this one to the police. The third was a really random instance of a guy stoned out of his mind thinking he was breaking into his “buddy’s” house. That guy got arrested. The crazy thing was that I lived in a really great neighborhood. These things never happened there and haven’t since. I, however, have moved to a small acreage since then.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

ehanzo 1, I may have worsened situation in the parking lot myself, but I also know that I am trained, armed, and aware. I refuse to be a victim. You are absolutely right about controlling your emotions though.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of Glockerman
    Glockerman
    Survivalist
    member2

Regarding ehanzo’s comment, as the title of this post says, “Bad guys are bad guys..even without a reason. Even if he hadn’t said anything, they may still have tried attacking.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

I’ve had two attempted break ins and at odd times of the day. The first was at 5:30 in the morning. My wife was already up getting ready for work and our bulldog went nuts downstairs. By the time I got down there 1911 in hand the back door was open but they were gone scared off by our dog. After that I got alarms for all the doors in the house (simple wedge alarms) and two weeks later my wife called me at work (which is one block away from were I live) telling me that the alarm in the garage was going off. I was home in about a minute and the alarm scared them off. This time I contracted with a security company and the stickers and yard signs I guess have been enough that whoever it was has not been back.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Xocjm, have your neighbors had robberies in that same timeframe? Just curious whether they were working the neighborhood or specifically targeted your place.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.