Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

I had several attempted home invasions when my wife and I first moved into our neighborhood about 6 years ago. It’s a nice place on a heavily traveled city street. Nice neighborhood. I handled all three easily (I have my CCW). What really brought the idea of defending my family full circle was when my wife and I, and two children (one was an infant and the other four at the time) were going to a department store.

A vehicle with 3 young and athletic males drove over the end of the sidewalk we were walking on. They were close enough for me to kick the car. I cussed at them and they sped off. We entered the store but my infant fell asleep. I took her to the car and put her in the car seat. I noticed the car from earlier driving around. The situation was eerie. I sat in the front passenger seat and unholstered my .357. My intuition was spot on. The car sped into the parking spot adjacent to mine and all three young men exited the vehicle. Concerned for the safety of my child, I exited my vehicle and noticed the men fanning out and trying to surround me. I calmly raised my revolver and aimed in on the nearest man. I didn’t need to say anything. They were gone faster than they arrived. I had every intention of shooting if they persisted. This is a stark reminder that bad guys don’t necessarily need or have a reason to be bad guys.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for sharing Hobbit, good reaction.
    Situation can be much scarier when kid is with you, and I am often thinking about that scenarios.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Wow, crazy! You never know what kind of lunatics might be lurking in your immediate vicinity. Glad you were smart enough to be armed!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Whoever coined the expression, “There’s a little bit of Good in everyone”, should have followed it with, “Therefore most of what they are is Bad.”

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

:) Good points Elijah!

My starting point is that most of the people are (at best) ignorant and do not care, right after that there is point of that there are too many bad people around us, way too many.

Some of them are just bad without any reason, it is their nature, and taking time to think why they bad is just wasting the time.

Oh, yes, I have seen lot of actions from good folks, but problem is that I saw much more from bad folks.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Whoever coined the expression, “There’s a little bit of Good in everyone”, should have followed it with, “Therefore most of what they are is Bad.”

I’ll remember that. Sorry to hear what happened Feral Hobbit. It just gets my blood boiling to think about what I would do to protect my family in such a situation. Glad things worked out this way.

Can you talk more about the attempted home invasions?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

feral hobbit, between the attempted home invasions and the 3 punks that you chased off, are you sure you’re living in the right place for your family? I shudder to think what you’ll be dealing with in a SHTF scenario.

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Feral Hobbit, many years ago, I read one of the first modern articles about Albania. The country had been closed to outsiders for decades and non-Albanians knew nothing about the place. It caught my attention that Albanians were described as fairly violent, with plenty of blood feuds, but that they would never attack a man walking with a child.

This consideration for a child is totally gone today in western society. It requires ethical principles, a sense of honor. When I was young, a hoodlum would never think to assault a child, a woman or an elderly man; had he dared, other hoodlums would have beaten him up, treated him with utter contempt. There was honor of sorts even among hoodlums.

Today, there is no such thing. A child, a woman or an old man are simply perceived as easy prey. It does not surprise me that the three creeps would disregard that you had a child with you. You did right to be vigilant and to pull the gun. What need was there for words?

As we age, as we move around with our spouse or child, we all have to be in a perpetual state of Code Orange and scan in every direction. It has been my experience that a moment of maximum danger in the parking lot of a store or shopping mall is that of leaving the store: your hands are often occupied with your purchase. If otherwise unarmed, I make a point to always have one hand free and to have it holding my car key in the grasp specific to its use as a weapon.

Profile photo of benjammin
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member3

One of the issues I had to discuss with my wife and kids was the notion that in the event they were unarmed and a bad guy tried to use them to disarm me by threatening them, I would shoot through them if I had to stop the bad guy’s aggression. Therefore, since they knew what was coming, they needed to resist forcibly in order to try and provide me with a better target.

There are some realities you don’t ever want to face, but must prepare for nonetheless. Surrender/submission is just not a viable option. Once disarmed, you are at the mercy of your enemies. I decided long ago that such conflicts could only end on my terms. Realizing this, our defensive strategy develops along different paths than some.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>benjammin wrote:</div>Surrender/submission is just not a viable option. Once disarmed, you are at the mercy of your enemies.

I feel you are right. There are some situations where there is no clever Hollywood answer to out-think the opposition or escape at the last moment. The only sure recourse is to not surrender one’s power to the enemy and hope for mercy, because in this hostage scenario they have already shown they have no mercy at all.

A hard fact of life is that there are situations where there is no right answer, and whatever you choose to do can come at a terrible cost.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I agree with that policy, NEVER submit! Always fight back with everything you’ve got, because like you said, they are merciless.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

There is a cure for bad ………….a bullet !

Profile photo of ehanzo_1
    ehanzo_1
    Survivalist
    member1

I think you invoked the fight. Cussing at them proved your dominance to begin with. You were showing to them that you were of higher value, this was the emotional part of your brain reacting, but usually gets you into trouble. If you would have just have ignored them and said, “Man some people are ********!” to your wife, then nothing would have happened. Instead you put your family in deadly danger 2 times. If you didn’t have a fire arm or they had firearms it could have been a mess. Survival is avoiding fights, if you have too fight, not for hierarchy.

Occam
    Occam
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>ehanzo_1 wrote:</div>I think you invoked the fight. Cussing at them proved your dominance to begin with. You were showing to them that you were of higher value, this was the emotional part of your brain reacting, but usually gets you into trouble. If you would have just have ignored them and said, “Man some people are ********!” to your wife, then nothing would have happened. Instead you put your family in deadly danger 2 times. If you didn’t have a fire arm or they had firearms it could have been a mess. Survival is avoiding fights, if you have too fight, not for hierarchy.

Really?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>ehanzo_1 wrote:</div>I think you invoked the fight. Cussing at them proved your dominance to begin with. You were showing to them that you were of higher value, this was the emotional part of your brain reacting, but usually gets you into trouble. If you would have just have ignored them and said, “Man some people are ********!” to your wife, then nothing would have happened. Instead you put your family in deadly danger 2 times. If you didn’t have a fire arm or they had firearms it could have been a mess. Survival is avoiding fights, if you have too fight, not for hierarchy.

Don’t look like food.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.