Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Recently I ran across a daypack or school bag that has me fairly impressed.

It’s an Eddie Bauer pack, FDE with some Molle, I would have preferred OD green and no Molle but for free, I’m not gonna complain.
    Can’t say what model it is, no other markings on it. After looking, it’s a “Cargo Pack”, an appropriate name.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/cargo-pack/82301990/_/A-ebSku_0231990139__82301990_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Backpacks&previousPage=&tab=gear&color=139

The straps are comfortable, a requirement.
    The zippers, good YKK type.
    Just enough accessory pockets to be functional but not enough that you can’t find anything.
    The padding on the back is excellent for a daypack,

A recent decision to rebuild my BOB from a near perfect REI climbing pack into something smaller had me considering several options when the daypack appeared.

Why the change? A slide on the ice recently had my back inflamed and as I went to move the BOB in the truck to get ready for hunting, I came to the immediate conclusion that it as too heavy.

So the BOB is going on a diet, much of the stuff removed will go into the truck kit, too helpful to abandon just too heavy for fast movement.

A while back, my BOB had been restructured, around the family rather than the individual. In the simplest terms, it grew and got heavy. Too heavy.

I dare say that the changes will be major, seeing that I’m not 22, or even 35 anymore.
    A lot of the changes that have happened over the last couple of years have revolved around gear, but not so much getting rid of it because I know more, but because of a change of location and needs, I needed to adapt to the new area and my “abilities”.

More to follow.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Before you get it , here is one . I have one , Its a very flexible pack . Its MOLLE , so I put 4 modern issue canteen pouches on the sides for misc items , keeping the main compartments clear . The compression straps on the side allow you to add even more gear vertically . The first one I got , lasted three years of over packing and abuse . The new one I plan on putting on an ALICE pack frame with modified shelf . All the added pouches and pack is in German Flecktarn …………a very good , all around pattern . The price is better , and a lot better ability to customize it for your needs . It seems that your kind of screwed with the design of that other one , and expanding your options looks difficult . You can find even more patterns of it on ebay .

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Tactical-Rucksack-Backpack-Flecktarn/dp/B004LSBBS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480264018&sr=8-1&keywords=flecktarn+pack

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Can’t complain about the price, free is good.
    And it’s already in my hot little hands.

I don’t want to expand my options, not in the sense you are. I am downsizing the bag for a reason, explained above.

I already have multiple bags, the REI bag for example, is essentially perfect except the color. And because of its capacity, I’m tempted to overload not just it but me. And it’s a smaller bag.

This is a BOB, not a car bag or inch bag. Something that I can carry not just when I’m feeling good. But when the back or knee are acting up.

Again, more to follow.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Yeah , I have yet to find one that fits all . I would like to find a place that sells the Eberlestock packs , several models look promising , but its something a person needs to be able to look at , and handle in person . Pictures can be deceiving .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Camouflage:

Tried the Flecktarn a couple of times.
    Worked in the alpine areas of Colorado in summer and early fall, but not so good elsewhere (where I was) or other seasons.

Around here, the old Rhodesian “Brushstroke” and German 1931 “Splittertarnmuster” work extremely well.

As a GP color, the South African “Nutria” is extremely useful most of the year. In the off season, the old US OD Green works until it fades out.

Our WalMart actually special orders a “sagebrush” pattern of clothing that is perfect nearly six months of the year here. Can’t remember who makes it but will check.

Backpacks are very personal, much like boots. What works for one person, in one place may not “fit” the next person. Learned this the hard way with the kids not just my own mistakes.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

White backpacks are good for snow. But for some strange reason the one I bought, a military type in ballistic nylon, had an orange interior. They must do this to give the eyes a break in the whiteout. Or the color acts as a locator so it’s easier to keep track of it.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

That could be . Does it open up all the way down the sides ? If so , it might be used as a emergency evac marker panel . I get teased about it , but whenever I go out , I always have two Enola Gaye EG18 orange smoke grenades . They are ” cold burn ” , so fires are not an issue , and in an emergency , orange smoke stands out like a sore thumb in the deep woods .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.