Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I though it might be fun for people to post pictures of projects, animals or whatever it is they have in the yard to show off for fun.

Today I had these young bucks practicing their skills in the yard.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Nice!

About the best backyard wildlife I could post would be the woodchuck that lives under my shed :(

LOL

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Great photo! We never have a camera ready when we need one.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well this is a ‘project’ in my backyard so to speak – I just don’t know what the project should be. This mini-grandstand came with the place (used for horse shows/clinics). It does provide great view of the back of the property (longer than wide acreage)…but other than that it is just another outbuilding to maintain.

Tear it down, sell it for tear-down, any other not horrendously expensive solutions? (It is all pressure treated lumber) Need a plan by spring! It’s on the list to finally do something with it. Any suggestions? (There is a small door in the rear where I currently store extra fence boards and shingles)

Attachments:
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Use it for it’s original purpose. Recycling is always best when you don’t waste additional energy converting to some other purpose. Looks perfect for outdoor environmental classes, a stage for the local choir or brass band. Rent it to a theater group for outdoor performances or summer religious services. After SHTF chariot races. Be a shame to tear it down.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

If the county didn’t have zoning ordinances (no longer can do horse shows with out a special permit dontcha know) you’re right 74 I could do lots of things with it, given what it is. As it is, for my gardening classes I have on site, I am only ‘legally’ allowed 4 students at a time and had to get ‘special permission’ for them to be ‘outside’. How crazy is that? I live, like, out in the middle of almost nowhere.

Attachments:
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I wouldn’t tear it down just to get rid of it as that would be a waste, but I imagine some non-profit or sports league could put it to good use if they’re willing to come take it apart and relocate it to their site. Maybe they’d even name it after you. We could get a contest going here to come up with the name.

In my experience folks will take just about anything if it’s free. I tore down an old shed/small barn structure that was on its way to falling down and then burnt it where it fell but my work was made easier by a family first coming and taking the metal roof off of it and some sections of wall to reuse on their property, old shelving that was inside it, and other odd pieces of scrap. They also took a bunch of old plastic pipe that had lain behind the shed for many years, a couple small pieces of culvert pipe, an ancient rusted bicycle from the same junk pile, and a few other things that I’d of just had to haul to the dump when I cleaned up the site.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Tweva, how about a huge root cellar underneath.
    Robin

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

By the way tweva…….your property is beautiful! I love looking at the farms in PA and VA as I head down 81 to NC. Lots of good country in both States. Will be heading down that way again for Christmas with the grandbabies.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Sounds like the local folks controlling things are using the “u an’t from here” mode of thinking, or you have to many elite from somewhere else. Guess I would just do a lot of entertaining. They can’t have a law against picnics.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hmmm Robin, another but bigger root cellar would come in handy, if I take off the back and use a backhoe to
    dig one out. There is no spring right around that spot which is elevated. The building on top would help insulate it…..I have been wondering how hard it would be to redo it so there was a first floor, keep the ‘staircase’ and create a second floor – that I know I could rent out on the weekends to city folk for a ‘roughing it’ weekend (incinolet toilet but it could have running water easily and electric)

I tried to donate the thing MB to the local pony club/horse showgrounds (theirs are all falling apart), even had a guy that was willing to move the entire thing in one piece for them (they wud have to pay)on a flatbed (for what I thought would be a very reasonable cost) – no go. Hadn’t thought of the ball fields.

If I took it apart I’d keep the lumber – mostly decking board size. It’s just such a big ‘folly’ sitting there that I have to keep up, tree branches cut away from, power-washed, boards screwed in properly etc. Sigh.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tweva, put something on Craigslist and you’ll find a taker.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    You cut away the grandstand, leave the roof and convert it into a tall shed, hay barn, or add floors and walls.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Tweva,
    Why not close it in and put shelving on the benches. You would have several rows of organized storage space with isles in between the rows. the shelves wouldn’t be very deep but it would give you a place to store all those little knick knacks that generally get pilled together in a barn. You know those things you never use because you can’t see everything in the box of junk and you forget you have it. Things like extra plumbing fittings come mind.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Great picture! Very few people actually get to see bucks fight in person. It is an awesome experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.