Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay with all the bad news, political claptrap and more, how about a survival question or two?

So to help each of us evaluate our own kits, wants and needs, as well as to potentially spot holes in our gear a simple two part question.

Q:1
    What is your most used piece of kit in your BOB? (Excluding knives, canteens)

Q:2
    What three items from your BOB are required? (Knives and firearms excluded)

And for brownie points only:
    Q:3
    What’s the most unusual item in your BOB?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ll start.

Strangely enough it wasn’t my metal match once I got to thinking about it.
    Turned out to be the bandanas. 101+ uses, light and cheap, there isn’t a day I don’t pull out and use more than one.

(FYI I’m considering a shemagh nothing but an oversized bandana.)

Again after much thought, the first item ended up being a 1.5qt ‘billy pot’.
    Boiling water for a spot of tea, cooking dinner, protecting breakables, impromptu digging, carrying foraged grub, holding a hot rock to warm the sleeping bag, it gets used a lot.

Second: My old rubberized poncho.
    Keeping the rain and snow off, warmer than the thin cheap new ones, making a lean to, making a flotation pack, camoflage when hunting, a seat when its not raining but the ground is wet, and so on. I’ve tried others but keep coming back to the old one despite it getting very old and needing replacement.

Third: This was actually the hardest one as there’s a number of things that came to mind, such as the shingling hammer, the compass (spare), and such.
    But it came down to what i use the most, what gets replaced constantly, 550 paracord gets the nod.
    Seems like I add another 100′ after every time out.

Now my BOB is also my GHB as well as my light backpacking pack and hunting pack, so it does see more than a little use.

As to the unusual?
    A tea cup.
    My grandfather carried a similar one through WWII and Korea, just for that touch of civilization in the midst of chaos.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Q1 : the Soviet mess kit .
    Q2 : mag bar , tarp , cordage .
    I was going to say flashlight , but believe it or not , contrary to common belief , its actually better to stay put at night , and move around in the day in the AZ desert , your going to get better sleep when the temp drops as well . Ever tried to sleep in the daytime during 100+ temps ? good luck on that .Yeah its hot , but depending where you are in that place , falling into or onto things at night is a bigger danger than the heat . Particularly in Cochise county . Plus , the dust trail from vehicles on a dirt road can be seen for miles in the daytime .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

First I have an EDC not a BOB.
    Q1. Most used item is ibuprofen. Either I need it, my wife or someone else.
    Q2.
    A – Rain gear, I like rubberized ponchos. Mine is a Swiss Military.
    B – LifeStraw
    C – Fire Starter, I have 3 types in my EDC

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

What is your most used piece of kit in your BOB? (Excluding knives, canteens)

What three items from your BOB are required? (Knives and firearms excluded)

And for brownie points only:
    Q:3
    What’s the most unusual item in your BOB?

A1: 100mph tape. You can do anything with it. Make rope. Make a water bladder/water collection. Patch wounds. Repair damaged radiator hoses. Patch bullet holes. Make weapons. I fixed a HUMMV once with a stick and 100mph tape. Given enough tape, you can make a shelter with it. Even a boat.

If you can think of it, you can do it with 100mph tape.

A2: Something to write with. Something to write on. Toilet paper.

A3: A fire piston. Probably one of the most trick pieces of gear I own. Yeah, it’s low-tech, but it’s still trick. Take some fungus off a birch tree, put it in the end of the piston, insert and then smack it. Instant ember to make fire. Works on the same principal as a diesel engine: Compression = combustion. Worth the money.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

1- What I use the most. I think the black fold up scissors Fishing, hunting, camping, first aid (http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=XTSNS202) Fold up like this one
    2 a I use my small flashlight daily, before nightfall I attach it to my belt.
    b Jacket (waterproof)
    c The chocolates in my BOB need to be replaced so often

3 Celox powder – to stop bleeding

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Q1. Toothbrush. I’m not Mick Dodge. lol

Q2. Unscented soap, 10L sink, shaver. Gotta wash socks underwear shirts or smell like a pig. Battery powered shaver

Q3. My good luck charm. Can’t leave home without it.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

1) A multi purpose pouch that goes along for the ride. All my frequently used items go in it, making the pouch itself the most frequently used.

2) a. Compass and map.
    b. Headlamp.
    c. Small hygiene kit.

3) A scapular around my neck. It’s a Catholic thing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.