Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

So the 24 hour news cycle and current issues of the day have overtaken the forum lately. That’s fine by me. But, I personally have to watch myself because it can become an endless time suck and, in the end, not prove very productive other than to vent – and of course, to gain reassurance of associating with like minds. Have current events impacted or changed your plans/goals? (Only thing for me was to have the gas and diesel tanks topped off before prices go up more)

For all the progress I feel I have made in my self-sufficiency journey, there is always so much more to do! (and integrate into my daily life/routine).

I personally would love to hear how my fellow forum members would assess their current state of preparedness in light of their own goals – and which areas, if any, you are focusing on in particular right now – and any stumbling blocks.

Mother Nature is doing a fine job right now producing in the gardens and fields and I am hard pressed to stay on top of things and not be overwhelmed by the work required to harvest/process the bounty. An unfortunate by-product of this is that my focus is so narrowed I feel frustrated I don’t seem to be making much progress in other areas I feel need lots more attention!

Water/food – I think I have this area under control and addressed to a certain comfort level

Shelter – this is under control to my satisfaction at the moment – but plans for a BOL close to the main homestead should we need to leave it for a while are just that – plans. Grrr.

Security – still need lots of work with this. I struggle because I do not have experience in military/defense/how you plan stuff like that and others will be involved that are not currently residing here so it keeps on the back burner unfortunately way more than I would like. Ammo prices don’t help either. Grr

Skills – I have been practicing my tool sharpening skills however! The grinding wheel has been an interesting piece of equipment to play with. Thankfully I have a reason to learn to use it – because I need sharp tools right now more than ever! Still doing the stealth walking/ninja classes but that is a small skill to learn and not something that I feel will, generally, help me in SHTF albeit in specific situations. Learning/training the draft cross horse to pull carts and logs continues and is coming along nicely. Soon we will practice with the finally reconditioned sickle bar mower on a neighbors field. Should be insightful. My shooting skills definitely need some range time soon – been busy with other things and ammo prices are a good excuse I’ve used to not take the time. Only practicing once a week right now. Used to every day!

Medical/Health – started/have more than normal supplies but lots more to do and more instruction/learning required

that’s my start at assessing my current position vs my goal – what about you?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Always like your mindset. I’ve been applying myself to organization and plan review. Made layout plans for sand bagging the interior of the house and garage. Shooting & firearms familiarization with my son, using his new AR & optics.

A few hours each week reloading. Since I setup a progressive press, I have reloaded several thousands of rounds in 5.56 and 9mm. Just haven’t got around to 40S&W, 357 or 38’s yet. I did take my wife out for her first time shooting. (I don’t have the time to explain that, my hands would cramp up before I could finish typing). Transferred some tools I was using rarely from my studio back to my home. Bought more gear, big rain ponchos. I like the surplus Swiss Aspenflage ponchos for their durability and size.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks for centering me, twee…

I can get caught up in the Minutiae of Doom and Suck on the idiot box…

On the prep front, I bought a 25lb block of beeswax and a 3,000 yard spool of 15-ply flat braided wick to go with the wax melter I created (pro-grade double boilers begin at $800 apiece… like I’m going to pay that for a double boiler…), plus some other odds and ends. When SHTF, I can at least light my house and/or trade these beeswax candles for stuff… I won’t give up an oil lantern or kerosene, but I can sell beeswax candles for one silver pre-64 dime apiece (12 for a silver dollar). Going to pick up a used 2 quart double boiler off of Feebay as a backup so I can still make candles even if the power fails…

Holding steady on food preps, ammo preps. Did buy a couple grocery bags full of med stuff – bandages, burn cream, etc..

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Malgus, King of the Candles…”

Ok I’l take 12 while the price is low…1 silver…..last time the price was kinda out of line… :)

“That’ll be 6 gold eagles, 5lbs of salt, 2lbs of sugar, a dozen canning jars with lids and seals and a written promise for 10% of next year’s harvest…” – See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/search/%5C%22Malgus%2C+King+of+the+Candles/#sthash.lWyvZJjq.dpuf

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I am fine until:
    A friend in government tells me time to go to “Auntie’s.”
    A law enforcement friend tells me he will meet me at “Sams.”
    The local store does not get regular resupply deliveries.
    I will then go to Wal-Mart and fill my diesel car tank, buy some fresh batteries, maybe buy some additional rounds (but doubt it as that would just be panic buying), buy some gold earrings and rings and max out each and every plastic card I own!
    Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

You be trollin’… smartass.. :)

Seriously though, making stuff here at the house beats having to scrounge for it later… or worse, having to go without. Example: I’ve a set of blueprints from the Smithsonian that detail how to make a 6 heddle loom. They blueprinted a loom they have that dates to very early in the 19th century… somewhere around 1810 or thereabouts. Currently, we have beef cattle on our land, but next year we are going to raise Cotswold sheep. Sheep mean wool. Wool means thread/yarn and that means cloth. My boy wants to apprentice with the blacksmith down at the old fort, and I’m all for it. If he shows promise, I told him I would build him his own blacksmith shop, complete with a wee foundry.

Cranking out candles is a far sight easier than fractional distillation of kerosene from coal… being as the nearest coal mine is at least an hour to the east. And how else will you light your home with the power off?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Been buying more propane tanks, my range uses it.I use about one tank a month so I am storing 14 right now maybe add more next month. Also working on the sand bags. I always have about 100 60lbs concrete mix bags in storage.I use some and replace them. They are as good as the sand bags and is you wet them they will last for ever.

I always need more on the security area. I do not own a AR 15 so that is my next big purchase. More ammo is another area that I need to invest in.

I am good on the food, always adding more, same goes with the water and water filters.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Tweva!

I am in the middle of making several more stashes with barrels and pipes, together with trying to figure more alternative ways to my BOL, and placing some of those on way.

Still trying to figure solar power setup at place, but probably it will be left for “better times” if there s gonna be any), and still hoping to do something about reloading, but here it is simply impossible for now.

Yes, it is good to know and follow info that could develop in something bigger, but sometimes we need reminder to go back to our own “small circles” where we still can make the change.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

I need to work on all area’s.
    Need to clean one big water tank and refill.
    Had to move my stockpile recently. Need to organize just about everything. My vehicle got used > took everything out. Need to put it back (Tool kit, small bob, first aid)
    My little one keeps on growing – need to replace his clothes for bob
    Need to work on current income. The economy are spiraling down. Been spending more to buy good quality ‘everything’.
    Need to work harder on winter veggie garden. Need to build tunnel.
    Would like to do my next level in paramedic.
    Going to make a very big effort to eat healthy and exercise/train daily – get enough sleep

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

How about making your energy from wood?
    This is just an example. Go to the “biomass” and click on “running on wood.”

http://northernselfreliance.com/

Robin

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Leopard , when you said build a tunnel….did you mean to cover your veggies or a tunnel out of your house?

Malgus, you and candles! Kerosene lassts long time, you dont want to store any? And…yes I store can make candles…just ribbing u! I have long hair Kaytidyn sheep right now so I don’t have to sheer them…and of course my pet baby doll sheeo. Do you have a spinning wheel? Have you used a loom before? Just curious as when might get around to that I know whom to ask ? of.

Selco just curious are yr possible routes based on different transport methods, I.e. car, bike or on foot? How do you get them buried hidden without someone noticing?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

twee,

I have kerosene. I bought a big blue 55 gallon drum of kerosene for around $300, delivered. Got a nice hand pump from Tractor Supply to go on top. Thing is, I don’t want to trade any… I will let small amounts go to select neighbors – in trade for things I need. But the regular schmoes don’t get access to that. No way no how.

But, people will still need to light their homes.

No, I don’t have a spinning wheel and no, I haven’t used a loom before… well, technically, that’s not true. I can card loom. I built a nice elaborate card loom and even design my own patterns, spell out words and phrases, make pictures, etc… Card looming is ancient – it predates all other sorts of weaving except fingerweaving – and I got into it during physical rehab. A strap made from wool that’s been card loomed will last centuries if it is taken care of properly. Even if you use a card loomed strap hard, it will still hold up quite well for a long time.

The trick to keeping the threads from tangling and binding is… wait for it… fishing swivels. A fishing swivel will keep the lines from twisting and binding on a card loom. Came up with that one myself. First of its kind, so far as I know.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus, would you post a picture of that? Interesting.
    Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Robin,

It’s been a few years since I’ve seen that old loom. I think it’s packed away in the garage somewhere. I’ll try and dig it out over the next few days.. However, I have the original sketches I made of the idea right in the next room. I’ll scan the notebook tomorrow morning and post the concept sketches to tide you over…

edit: I’ll also post my concept patterns, if you want… did them up nice with colored pencils and everything…

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus, that would be great! Thanks
    Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.