Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tsar Alexander
    Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

Just got back from the store(s). I started off by buying a 5 pack of Ramen noodles, along with anti diarrhea meds, Gatorade, and two cliff bars. Realize I bought all this at the dollar store, so I would rather not use that except in an emergency…..

Next I went to a sporting goods store, and picked up 50 water purification tablets for $10, and a compass-whistle-flint multi tool thing for around $4.

Finally, I stopped by a chain grocery store and picked up a can of peaches and a bag of beans.

So far, did I sound like I was shopping for the right stuff?

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, I have found that if the extremities are kept warm, you are already halfway there with the middle parts. What you describe for the torso and legs makes abundant sense. I have a pair of extremely light weight thinsulate leggings that I can wear beneath a pair of bluejeans and my legs will be OK. If I am subject to getting wet however, I will wear a light weight windbreaker type pants over my jeans. My winter weight Carhartt coat is all I need for the torso itself. Yesterday I posted the VT Bomber hat I wear, I wear a pair of Cabela’s winter hunting gloves that allow me to poke the trigger finger out if need be. For this coming winter I bought a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter Boots as my old winter boots were getting pretty worn. I’ve never spent this much money on footwear in my life but I know they will serve me well for a very long time. http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/517495/irish-setter-elk-tracker-600-gram-insulated-boots

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Remember, also, that if you are out hiking in the Winter time you don’t want to sweat. Sweat will evaporate which will make you colder. Instead, dress in layers so if you get too warm, you can take a layer off. Some materials will wick the sweat away from your body; I believe UnderArmor makes such a product. I am sure others can avise you better on that. I am with you-all that Carharts are great
    In addition, be careful that you don’t get dehydrated from the sweating. Carry some water with you, don’t make the mistake of thinking that you will just grab a handfull of snow, especially the yellow snow. Eating snow will lower your core temperature, which can lead to death. It takes a lot of snow to even make a mouthful. I am aware that you probably are more familar than I am with these things as it has been 40+ years since I worked outside in the snow and cold without a heat source handy but Carharts have only gotten better. I still have mine and I have been working inside since 1968. Ron S

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“I’ve never spent this much money on footwear in my life but I know they will serve me well for a very long time.”Mtbiker

Best place to spend money, on your feet for great boots.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.