Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Army wants a harder-hitting pistol

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/07/03/army-wants-harder-hitting-pistol/?intcmp=features

Great article! They talk about hand guns and that the most important thing is to shoot multiple shots even with a .45.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Interesting, they should just adopt the 10mm then and forget the 45acp. Use a semiwad cutter with a big cutter ring and modify the feed ramp to ensure reliable feeding. Magnaport all the barrels to reduce recoil.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I knew you would love this article. I found it interesting that no matter which handgun you need to shoot multiple times to stop anyone. This is what is the most important part in this article.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    For us it sure is. Two parts, if you are shooting don’t stop until your opponent is neutralized. If you are hit don’t stop moving either!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Like the score of the Smith and Wesson M&P 40 cal.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

the Army needs to revolt is what it needs to do , and refuse to go anywhere congress has not declared war .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Yes freedom, rifle primary and pistol secondary. But a pistol is great back up in some CQC scenarios. That was my experience in the military. Marines were thinking about this couple of years ago:

“Sticking to their guns: Marines place $22.5M order for the Colt .45 M1911″

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28/marines-pay-22m-to-go-back-to-their-old-guns-colt-45-caliber-pistols/

In serious SHTF I’d prefer to have both my 1911 & Glock 19 paired with AK handy.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

The Army had the greatest combat handgun ever made, and they ditched it for the M9. (NEVER liked the M9. More like hated it. Not a fan of the 9mm either, unless it’s in a subgun.)

Now after almost 30 years, they finally figured out (again) that bigger bullets are more effective… derp.

At least the Marines got their heads screwed on straight.

Edit: “The FBI and several major police departments recently decided to return to using the 9mm round after finding that .40 caliber ammunition was causing excessive wear on its service pistols. The heavier bullet and greater recoil over time resulted in frame damage to well respected makes such as Glock and Beretta..”

You mean more powerful ammo beats up plastic and aluminum guns? Who’da thunk it? Derp, again…

I had the opportunity to shoot a WWII era 1911A1 when I was active duty (this was before we got our “new, better” M9’s) I shot that pistol until it was black with carbon from muzzle to ejection port and too hot to hold without gloves… had to bang it with the heel of my hand to get it to chamber a round, it was so crudded up, but it still worked. If I’m not carrying a revolver, I’m carrying a plain vanilla M1911A1.

This –> “‘It’s a total system replacement — new gun, new ammo, new holster, everything.’ – Daryl Easlick, project officer with the Army’s Maneuver Center of Excellence”

Sounds like someone got ahold of the Pentagon’s credit card and needed an excuse to blow millions on a “new” handgun when a completely serviceable one is already available… guess blowing millions, if not billions, on a “new” system is easier than admitting you were wrong in dumping the 1911A1 in the first place..

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, I had read that article on Fox. Colt .45 M1911 is one of the best ever made. So what do you think of the Smith & Wesson M&P 40 cal?

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

freedom, never run the S&W M&P 40 cal. Sure it’s another decent polymer. In polymer handguns I gravitated towards to the Glock platform over the years. Train with it, made a commitment to training on the platform as well as the 1911 & recently got back into my revolvers. Woods carry it’s typically a revolver or Glock 10mm.

I find it interesting (and at times frustrating) the interplay of factors that come together in military selection process for new weapon system. Politics not being the least on the list of factors.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Most of my handguns are 9mm. I did recently buy a Rock Island Armory 1911 with a 3.5 inch barrel. Now I am looking to trade my 9’s!
    Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

chester,

I remember when we were looking at getting our “new, better” M9’s… “What the hell for?” was the question most asked…

Answer was that back then, Italy let us deploy medium range missiles in their country. As part of the deal, we had to agree to buy their shitty pistol. But, since anything the US Military uses has to be made in America, they had to give Beretta a sweetheart deal in building a brand-new factory here in the US. At least, that’s what speculation was… Problems with catastrophic failures, galling, etc, were still ongoing when we got our “new, better” M9’s…

Thing is, I noticed that SpecOps were keeping their 1911’s… if the M9’s were so great, why were our best troops refusing to use them? I suppose they did, eventually… but still. Not a confidence builder…

Despite the weight, there is no substitute for milled, forged tool steel.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

So guys what is the best 1911 out there for the price?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

free,

Best for the price?

Look at it this way. You have life insurance, yes? People will pay for insuring their lives for multiples of hundreds of thousands of dollars – the payout after they are dead – but will skimp when it comes to buying a firearm to defend that life…

Not saying you are skimping. Just saying that the way I was brought up, I was taught “A poor man cannot afford to buy cheap crap”. Meaning: You buy the best you can, even if that means you have to save a long time to get it.

If I wanted a 1911A1, I would go either old school – a prewar Commercial Colt – or a postwar Commercial Colt. Very few commercial colts were made during the war. Wartime Colts – military models – are popular right now and command high prices. Higher than they should.

I would use what you currently have and start socking away cash. I came up with “The One Gun Project”. No matter what kind of deals I came across, no matter how good something looked, I kept my eye fixed on the goal. I save my money for one calendar year and then go and pick one damn good gun. I don’t have a great many firearms, but those I do are absolutely top shelf.

My advice is to save your cash and then buy a genuine Colt. But, that’s just me.

Others will no doubt counsel you differently…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.