Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Great info Malgus, I have seen (and go over) some of the things mention here (pieces of carpet on walls with glass, and wire) also used some of the variations of things mentioned here ( broken bottles partially dig, and hidden with grass combined with wire for falling).
    Thanks for sharing.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Sloth,

Outstanding ideas! I think I remember reading about the killway maybe 10 years ago, was it? Some guy was wanted by the FBI. So he rigs his stairwell with wire cage doors at each end – one slid straight down, the other, at the top, was hinged and slammed shut flush with the floor. Two FBI goons show up at his house looking for him and make it halfway up the stairs – bam! Trapped like bugs. Dude had reinforced the stairwell so you couldn’t kick your way out, and the FBI goons had forgotten their radios. :) Oops.

To make matters worse, dude had set up a speaker system so he could talk to the Fibbies and taunt them… It ended when the dude let the Fibbies go and then gave up, but still… he was some sort of Macguyver savant. Made everything himself.

Your shotgun shell mine reminds me of the old German WWII toe-poppers. Just a small wooden box with a small amount of plastique in it. You step on it and “pop!”, it blows the end of your foot off. Since it was made with wood and only the bare minimum of wiring, mine-sweepers didn’t pick them up. Really nasty.

The thing about setting up things like improvised mines, etc, is that if you don’t write down where every mine is on a map, eventually folks forget where they were – either they vacate the area or get killed and then NOBODY knows where they are anymore… to this day, there’s multiples of millions of mines around the world, buried and forgotten. There’s no go areas in Europe, Africa, South America, Asia, the Middle East, etc, because of those things. They’re a scourge, and every year, thousands die from stepping on 30 year old mines… I would be very, very careful about IF I would deploy such things, and then where I deployed them. It’s one thing to have a Bad Guy bumble into your funhouse and get blasted… it’s another thing to have someone’s kid bumble into your funhouse 15 years later, long after you’ve died or left the area…

If anyone wants to read in-depth about nasties you can leave for the Bad Guys, pick up a copy of FM 5-31 and/or FM 12-43, both of which deal with mines and booby traps… also FM 5-15 on Field Fortifications. These can be found either on Ebay, Amazon or even for free online… even if you don’t actually build anything, knowing HOW such things are built is invaluable…

And remember – when things go pear shaped, like Selco went through, you do what you have to do to stay alive and in one piece. Nobody will fault you for that. But when things start to normalize again, you are bound, ethically and morally, to go around and deactivate or clean up all the little toys you left laying around for the Bad Guys… And if you are unable, you are still bound, morally and ethically, to tell whomever is in charge where you put your toys so they can take care of it…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Selco,

I feel I have to apologize. Being a soldier, no matter how bad it got, in the back of your mind you always knew that resupply was coming or that you could call for help on the radio if you got in a bad way – that there was this entire military machine behind you for support. Yeah, it sucked, but you knew you weren’t alone.

That in no way equates with what you went through, and I did not mean to come off as presumptuous.

As far as I’m concerned, you’re the final arbiter on what works and what doesn’t. You’re the genuine article.

Okay, done apologizing now. :)

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Excellent post. I have seen several of these myself (the caltrops are very effective even on large truck tires), but many of them are new ideas. Thanks.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

There are some other options to be had for a non-lethal, early warning system. Tripwire flares, those chem-light trip wire contraptions (best if you have IR devices and use the IR chem-lights, but if your bad guys have IR equipment then they can see it too), and the old group of cans on a string.

If you have an alternate power source, you could have some cameras and stuff positioned in areas, with a live feed coming back to you, just make sure, like all the other stuff, it’s camo’d up real good.

As an aside, this thread is great! Lots of good ideas!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

:) No need for anything like that Malgus, I do not find my self as a some kind of guru here, just like said many times, I am learning here like anybody else.

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

wow, i never thaught about this up in the mountains in my valley, but it makes sence. been doing some funneling and course obstruction but ill be looking more into this and try to find a combat engineer to join us. thanks all…..

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey Selco and everyone else…

In case you all want to try this at some distant point in the future, I know I didn’t invent it, but I’m pretty sure I was the only one using…

The Bag of Cheetos.

Go to any grocery store. In the snack aisle, you’ll find small snack-sized bags of Cheetos. Any snack will work, but I chose Cheetos. Everyone likes Cheetos.

You use the snack-bag of Cheetos to initiate your booby trap. You have to think – your opponents will be just as cold, tired and hungry as you are. Leaving a nice, shiny, irresistible bag of Cheetos laying there? I have yet to see the bag of Cheetos fail. One guy will reach down, ignoring that little voice in his head because, hey… they’re CHEETOS! He picks up the bag of Cheetos and BLAM! That’s pretty much the end for him…

The point is to use something that your opponents haven’t had for some time… something delicious and ‘normal’… and to be the first guy to see it! Oh man, my buddies will be sooooo jealous when they see I got a shiny bag of Cheeto- BAM!!!!

You can use snacks, booze, bottles of water, anything you think your opponents will have a craving for… use that as your initiator. Just leave it laying there like someone accidentally dropped it… or you could partially conceal it, making it look like it’s been there for awhile and SOMEHOW everyone else “magically” missed seeing it… you’re playing on ‘normalcy bias’ again… after all, who would go out of their way to booby trap a bag of Cheeto- BAM!!!
    :) Or even Doritos…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Sloth
    Sloth
    Survivalist
    member1

Day 8: All of the Stoners have died from explosive concussions, inhalation of toxic Cheeto dust and Doritos shrapnel.

I will have to use this, thank you kind sir.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The standard Roman javelin was called the Pilum , it was a heavy wood haft with a weight at the top ( usually a wood ball ) , then a long , thin soft steel spear head , very much like an ice pick . When thrown , it would easily penetrate all armor , sheild or flesh ….then bend over onto itself from the weight of all the lumber . This made a shield useless and enemy vulnerable . Interesting design , every culture on earth developed their own version of the spear ……………..the Romans were the ONLY ones , that did not want it coming back at them once thrown away . This was no big issue for them , because every legion had its own blacksmithing …even on the march . Another thing to look at , is late Medieval castle design , they were designed so that the farther an attacker got ….the worse off they were . Simple things came from this , like trip steps , every 3rd step was slightly higher than the other two , if you were calmly walking up or down you would not notice , running you would stumble . Also why spiral staircases almost always spiraled counter clockwise ( because an attackers sword arm would be towards the wall )

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.