Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Drawing on my knowledge and experience as a soldier, I thought I would write down several time-tested methods of denying an area to folks you don’t want in there… not talking about exploding things, but certain things that can dissuade the Bad Guys from raiding your farm, your garden, your barn, your home, you, etc… some are things I have used personally, some I’ve seen used and some I’ve read about…

First up – your standard 5 strand barbed wire fence. Unless your opponents are cows, this will do little to stop anyone motivated. But, it can be a decent start.

Razor wire, also known as concertina wire, is cheap and available. It’s straight up nasty. Three layers of concertina wire will give anyone pause. It CAN be defeated. The Bad Guys can hook it, attach that to the back end of a pickup truck and then drive off, dragging the wire with them. The other method, that I have used personally, is a small roll of carpet. Throw the carpet over the concertina and then lay on it. The concertina gets squashed down and your pals basically run over you. Once they’re over, you follow. Staking the concertina down, tying it off to hard points, attaching it to anything heavy, like cinderblocks, will keep it in place. It’s formidable, but it can, and has, been defeated.

Punji sticks. Our older vets will remember this fresh hell. Dig a hole roughly 18″ square, about a foot deep, then stick sharpened stakes in the bottom, points up. Camouflage the hole. Unwary Bad Guy steps in the hole and spikes himself. For added mean-ness, smear the spikes with excrement before you camouflage the hole. The Bad Guy won’t die from being spiked, but blood poisoning and sepsis will get him eventually.

Spike strip/spike board. Pretty simple. Take a 4×4 piece of plywood (or any shape, really), about a half inch thick, and screw 3″ drywall screws through it, all pointing one way. Spread them out with a few inches between each screw. You can spray-paint it to match the surroundings, or put it on the other side of a window on the floor – anyone hitting that will spike themselves. I’ve seen this used to keep large animals, like bears, out of seasonal-use cabins. It’s proven and effective and cheap.

Variation on the spike board/strip is the time-tested caltrop. Thin steel rods bent into shape, then welded together, then sharpened. Any way it lands, it will have sharp points up. Throwing dozens of them on a road will deny that road to almost anything until they’re cleared away. Good for flattening tires. Added bonus – using hollow tubing will flatten a tire in less than 2 seconds.

Leopard spoke of broken glass set in the top of a wall. Good idea, but also can be defeated by a hunk of old carpet.

Thumbing through one of my old history books, I came across the description of a device that Caesar used against the Gauls – follow me on this one. I will try and post a sketch of the device, but I have forgotten the name. Imagine a steel rod, about 1/4″ thick. At the end of the rod is a razor sharp arrowhead that has been forged to the rod. It looks like a fish hook that has been straightened out. The rod is about 6 to 8 inches long. The other end of the rod is driven into a thick piece of wood, like the end of a log perhaps 4 inches thick. The log part is buried, leaving a few inches of straight fish hook sticking up. Anyone hitting that will not only spike themselves, but they will be immobilized since it is anchored into the ground. I suppose they could run in a circle, but they won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. According to the histories, the Gaul soldiers hit those in high grass and were spiked in place, leaving them easy pickings for the Romans. I plan on making a prototype of this and posting a materials list and instructions here for you all.

Tanglefoot. This is excellent for slowing down Bad Guys. Take a bunch of 2×2 stakes and hammer them into the ground, varying the heights/depths with every one. No particular pattern, but each stake has to be within 2 feet of any other stake. You can then string wire from stake to stake, working in a grid pattern. No set height, no set pattern, anyone walking or running into that area will absolutely face plant. If you also put spikes into the mix, they will fall and spike themselves. And no, you can’t high-step your way through it like a Heisman Trophy winner… I’ve tried, and failed. It won’t STOP bad guys, but it will slow them down.

More labor intensive is the Cheval de Frise, or Frisian Horse. You can look online to see how they look and how they are constructed. They are excellent, being hard to maneuver around or over, and are bullet-transparent. They can, however, be burned. You can make them more effective with the addition of barbed wire or concertina wire, etc..

Last thing on my list is the Acacia bush. This stuff is so nasty, they use it as lion repellent in Africa, since not even lions are stupid enough to mess with it. A variant is also found in the US. It’s just one mass of thick thorns. Planting acacia bushes close together and in depth will keep out almost anyone. But, like the Frisian Horse, they can be burned.

This list is by no means complete – there are many other methods to deny the bad guys entry into your areas. I’m hoping others will join in and add to the list. You are only limited by your imagination, and no matter how Wiley E. Coyote stupid you think something is, if it works, then it ain’t stupid. Often, unusual or imaginative things will catch even professionals off guard, which is why I like unusual and imaginative. Professionals are predictable, amateurs are not.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Wow, this was excellent, and really got me thinking about storing some defensive construction supplies in addition to other SHTF items one generally considers – thanks so much for putting this together, Malgus!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Wow again. Thanks Malgus, am anxious to print and study/apply your info

AncientVoice
    AncientVoice
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Good post Malgus, thank you! You’re absolutely right, nothing will stop the determined individual or group. Make the objective appear less desirable and it becomes more protected.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Great ideas Malgus, we are just now creating a list of poisonous and thorny bushes to plant behind our barb wire fence. We try to find plants that not only act as obstacles but can also be used for medicinal or other applications.

I love the tangle food idea. We have one area that is most likely be used by burglars coming in and this seems like a nice little trap to set.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Ouch ouch and ouch!! But yay for protection, can honestly say anit gonna mess with you!! lol Great read and thank you for sharing!!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Okay, this is what I am calling the Roman Spike. That is not it’s real name, but until I can find out what the real name of this thing actually is, I’ll be using it as a place-holder, okay?

Remember, it’s basically a very short arrow, more like a straight fish hook, stuck in a block of wood and then buried in high grass. Someone steps on it, they are going to be there for awhile. If I had to choose between the classic “arrow” shape or the “variant 1″ that does look like a barb from a fish hook, then I choose “Variant 1″. Better penetration through boots and shoes, and they’re still stuck there.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Guys and gals, remember – if you make it too difficult for someone to get in, then it’s just as difficult for you to get out if you have to run.

I’m not saying to have a secret underground tunnel like the gang from Hogans Heroes, but always have a way out. If you don’t have a way out, well… been nice knowing ya.

The point (heh) of all this is to make your digs look and be so uninviting to the bad guys that they pass you by and go looking for easier prey. If they have nothing left to lose, it could be a problem for you. ALL these things can be defeated, mostly by fire, some by stealth and wirecutters, some by brute force and the weight of numbers…

BUT, if you’re hooked up with your neighbors and you use these area denial methods, it would take a lot of determined effort… especially if you get creative. After all, the bad guys burn just as easily as acacia bushes do…

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Denying access through likely avenues of approach in your area of operations is very important, and I’m very glad you made this thread.

To add on, a few things that’ll help are having some cars or whatever type of vehicle to block key streets in your area, so no one can drive up at high speed to catch you with your pants down. You don’t even really need to use cars, large poles and things like that can also work. Use your imagination, find what’ll work best in your area.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Sloth
    Sloth
    Survivalist
    member1

I don’t remember where I heard this one from but another would be to hang fish hooks about head/eye level in areas of approach. Thin fishing line and hooks dangling from bushes and trees would be nearly invisible. You can contaminate them with your choice of materials. Blinding enemies or a facial wound that leads to sepsis is definitely a deterrent. Depending on the location of the wound, they could have a small scratch on their cheek that within hours could become inflamed leading to their face swelling essentially blinding them by inflammation.

The most important thing about trap placement is location. Always plan traps around concealment/ cover. Remove or destroy anything that could be used as cover during an attack. Anything that can’t be moved trap the hell out of it.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

NICE one Sloth!!

I forgot about the fish-hook thing… the moonshiners and pot-growers around here do that to keep trespassers (and cops) off their property and out of their grow site. Can’t believe I forgot that… good catch, bro.

I wasn’t going to get into stuff like the double-blind, where you set up or leave cover on purpose so that the Bad Guys will use it, not realizing that you already pre-placed something like a fougasse or a cratering charge. That’s sort of advanced stuff…

Still, it is sort of a fun exercise to look at a piece of ground and say “Now, if I were a bad guy, where would I seek cover if I had to?” and then figure out where you would put your charges… really mess with them that way. :) Next time, they’re like “Crap… if I take cover behind that tree/log/whatever, will I get blown up or set on fire?” I think a good way of striking fear into the hearts of bad guys is using the old British flame fougasse… bad guys might not be afraid of dying, but everyone is afraid of being burned alive…

Sloth
    Sloth
    Survivalist
    member1

Oh yeah no problem. A method that I thought up for your home is a entrance cage. When someone kicks down your door there is about 6-10 ft narrow hallway leading to another reinforced door. You can have cameras or port holes inside the hallway to see the attackers. AR500 plates for the bottom half of the door so you can sneak a rifle or shotgun (preferred) through a precise hole cut out in the plate, and shoot them from cover.

The cage can be made from welded iron or re-bar then covered in drywall to keep up with appearances, don’t let them suspect a trap. I’ve seen this design in many of the upper tier homes. Only with this method you can choose to line the outside of the “killway” with sandbags so that they are unaware of the danger in all lining up through a confined space and cannot blindly fire back at you or into your home possibly killing a family member. The custom steel would be less than $600 to purchase, you can use a mail slot to hide the hole and allow the tip of the barrel through. I would try to get the hole fabricated at close to the diameter of the barrel as possible near the bottom of the door (knee height) so that you can “De-bone” their legs. If in the confusion they return fire it will most likely be at shoulder height. As you will be kneeling at the base of the door behind steel plating you will be fine. Be sure to stock up on sacrificial doors by replacing internal doors with external doors so that you have a stock of them.

You could go full WROL, IDGAF and place shotgun mines under carpet within the “killway”. When you guys want to use the door way you have a piece of AR500 steel that goes the length of the hallway on sliders, But at the first sign of danger you slide the steel out of the floor and get ready. Even if one of the round where to go off while the hallway was being used by your group, it wouldn’t be able to penetrate the steel. You can concentrate the mines at the far inside of the killway and use it as an early warning in case you are under light and sound discipline at night or they have breached all other security measures without warning. Use the sound of the mine going off to start firing.

Just know your local laws when it comes to man traps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Malgus,
    This information is priceless. Thanks so much for sharing!
    I would definitely implement some of this in a needed scenario.
    I live in Charleston, SC, so should a major hurricane impact us this information could be very useful.
    Hannah

Profile photo of camouflage762
    camouflage762
    Survivalist
    rprepper

+1 on the Acacia Magnus. Trying to move through it quietly is time consuming and nasty.

However in winter or as it dries out it becomes a real fire hazard in our parts, thus presenting the bad guys with an opportunity

shadowfax
    shadowfax
    Survivalist
    member1

improvised booby traps will be rampant when shtf….DO NOT get caught in your own trap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.