Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of verde
    verde
    Survivalist
    member1

There is some funky archery in this new video: http://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk
    He is shooting an incoming arrow into pieces, for example or shooting while roller skating.
    This has nothing to do with the sport “archery” or with modern high tech arches. He uses some old fashioned arch and with his accuracy and speed would be able hunt or defend easily too, close or long range .
    My country has gun control, so unless I join a hunting club and spend thousands or euros and hundreds hours chasing animals, I cannot get a legal firearm. Perhaps practicing this would be an option. And really quiet one too..

Do not take too seriously the history lessons he is trying to give, that may not be so accurate. But he sure can aim and would beat most with guns, just because they would be so surprised.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Very impressive! An advantage of using bow and arrows is that hunting can be done in silence. Shoot a gun and everyone will hear you for quite a distance.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Mongol archers started when they were …. I don’t know 4. And then learned to ride the war machines of their day. Moto ponies.

He must be using crossbow nocs.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Very interesting display of skill. The American Indian’s skill with bows were similar and started as very young boys as well.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Mongol bows averaged around a 166 pound pull. Their description as scary beasts was probably accurate. And their ability to do quick repeat shots from almost any position on a horse. Amazing.
    That was real terror.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

166lb draw weight? Holy smokes I’d have to hang the bow on something and dangle my body weight off the string just to pull it back lol. Scary beast is not the bow but the fellow pulling the string. :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I read the piece about Mongol bows and how the pull weights were from 100lb to 166lb. I could believe a lot may have been around 100 but not 166. It’s not reasonable to assume super strength to just one group of humans. Every group had warriors and labors developing strength at young ages. So where are these guys now, why aren’t the decendents winning the Olympics every event?

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Mongols had the best bow making tech. Better than the brits. Another factor might be the horse blood steroids. But I like to think their training was the secret. Even girls shot bows and rode horses. I get the impression they were quite used to fighting.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I sure fighting was the main part of life and the goal was to be the biggest badass.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>I read the piece about Mongol bows and how the pull weights were from 100lb to 166lb. I could believe a lot may have been around 100 but not 166. It’s not reasonable to assume super strength to just one group of humans. Every group had warriors and labors developing strength at young ages. So where are these guys now, why aren’t the decendents winning the Olympics every event?

lightweight crossbow pulls start around 150 pounds. Use two hand pull. I’ve seen a lot of guys strong enough to do it with one hand. It takes me two hands. When you get up into the 225 pound range up to 275 pounds most people use cocking devices. Its just generally accepted all our gadgets have made humans in general weaker over time. We don’t build Viking forts and Rhine castles by hand & back these days. Even the Mongols lost their ice age muscles eventually. From Conan to Brady in the 75,000 years since Toba. Must be an improvement. Science thinks so.

Profile photo of carpedebass
    carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

I feel like a wuss now with my little 60 pound draw PSE compound.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Think about the number of reps it would take to finish a fight and the speed of the reps. Plus having accurate aim.

Profile photo of carpedebass
    carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

No joke! My bow will adjust up to 70 but I turned it down to 60 because I was tearing my shoulder up. Can’t even imagine it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.