Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

For those of you who run hard armor plates, there’s a recall, check your plates.

http://www.ar500armor.com/level-3-recall.html

AR500 Armor® Level III Body Armor Recall (Plates Shipped between February 23rd 2016 and March 23rd 2016)

AR500 Armor® is voluntarily recalling and replacing, at no cost to our customers, Level III body armor that was shipped between February 23rd 2016 and March 23rd 2016 with a manufacture date of February 2016 or March 2016. Only this armor is being recalled. The body armor can fail to meet Level III standards, increasing the risk of a bullet penetrating the armor causing injury or death. Customers with potentially affected level III products should immediately stop use of the product until you hear more from us. AR500 Armor® has identified almost all of the customers who were shipped the recalled plates and will be shipping replacement plates to all of those customers today. Upon receipt of your replacement plates, it is very important that you return the old plates to AR500 Armor® following the instructions on the box. It is illegal to sell recalled products.

This recall and replacement is necessary because a supplier of some certified ballistic grade steel failed to disclose to AR500 Armor that some of its steel failed certain ballistic tests until after the body armor had been distributed.AR500 Armor® has been working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission since March 26th, 2016 to approve and initiate this recall.

Upon the return of the recalled plates, a $40 web store credit will be issued to you.

If you have Level III plates with the February or March 2016 manufacture date and do not receive replacements or want to verify whether you will receive replacement plates contact us at the toll free number listed below.

Date of manufacture can be found in the back of the body armor plate:

http://ar500armor.com/images/948975623.jpg

Plate

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    • This topic was modified 8 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Made in America, cannot be sold outside the United States. Cannot be exported or shipped overseas.

So where did “this” counterfeit come from?

Let’s see … The business owners in China would be shot for said screwup – what should the us penalty be… Felony, owner in stripes. 10 years labor camp in Arizona building the wall. Life among the Mexican volunteers, interesting. To say the least.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Glad I got my plates a while ago…. Quite a while before this bad batch.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I have a few plates surplused from Britain after the Falklands made in a galaxy far away. I think they’re ceramic. I keep them because they’re antiques c. 1981. I’m not about to open one since it’s covered in a green ballistic material. Labeled Protective plate armour body mk2. Everything back then cost more than today. Whether it’s as good or better. I have no idea. Good bookend though lol.

Still in use. Apparently.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

if returning move up to ar 680 plate much tougher

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’ll try to get one before they’re all sold out. Any seller you would recommend.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

go to a steel supplier with a plasma cutter buy a 4’x8′ sheet around a 1/4 inch thick get them to slightly contour in power roller get them cut into 10 x12 inch rectangles with corners cut 45 at bottom in inch in 60 degree cut both top corners one inch in gives better contour for arm movement.

some steel wholesalers have cuts that can be bought for cheaper as the previous person paid for the bulk of cost rest is scrap. only thing is the thickness can vary would not go under 1/4 as 5mm is min thickness to stop a green tip 5.54 i go with 5/16 plate myself that stops a 30 cal cold multi hits though the kinetic impact will leave you feeling like mule kicked you.

you can get it coated with rubberized bed liner(truck stuff double coat) to help with spalling from impacts. way cheaper than store bought and you get.

the store bought ones last as long but are about 2 times more expensive…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.