Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Earned the nickname Pilgrim many years ago, apparently I was always on my way somewhere to go and do something, or coming from somewhere, having done something.
    I’m a 31 year old male, married to a wonderful wife and have a 10 month old son. Stay in one of the suburbs of Kempton Park in sunny old South Africa.

Hobbies are amongst others, hiking & camping, bird watching, hunting, sport shooting and a bit of off-road/4×4 driving. Future plans include doing a bush-craft course and a snake course (covers the identification & handling of snakes and treating of bites).

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

Grew up as a city slicker that left/lost his heart in the bush, so have always been interested in outdoor things and survival, later on figured out that preparedness and survival go hand in hand. Was fortunate enough to go on many backpack hikes and camps with my father and quickly learned to have sufficient supplies, but to keep it simple whilst preparing for the worst. From there on it became part of who I was becoming as I grew older.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

It is important for me, as I’m no longer flying solo; my wife and son are dependent on me and in return I may very well end up depending on them somewhere down the line. It is also great fun to do something to break the monotonous every-day groove people so easily get caught in and hopefully it will bear fruit when the time comes.

Currently I’m not preparing for one specific scenario, as this is Africa and anything can happen :-) I do however place a lot of emphasis on home and personal security and try to drill it into my wife as much as possible. We stay in a very violent country and contact crimes are going through the roof, this is a reality we have come to accept and will do whatever it takes to come out victorious should the wolves come knocking…

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Have sufficient supplies, but keep it simple? No fancy gadgets, just things that work.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“Yet my pistol is more than just security. Like an Orthodox Jewish yarmulke or a Christian cross, it is a symbol of who I am, what I believe, and the moral standards by which I live.” – Finn Aagard

“Si vis pacem, para bellum.”

“When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.” ~ Chief Tecumseh

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

What do I do…RELOAD!!

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome, and congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your boy!

Malgus

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Welcome to the forum!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

We’ll throw another steak on the braai.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome aboard.

Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks for the welcome.

@Malgus; thank you it is truly a life changing event and blessing becoming a father and I’m loving it.

@Whirlibird; if there is a braai, I’m in. Are you from SA?

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Pilgrim, you are right anything can happen, not only there.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome Pilgrim. We Americans can sometimes be pretty insular and so I like hearing voices from afar who may see the world in a different light. Many of us here bemoan what we see as the slow erosion of our way of life, but you guys in SA seem to be living it big time, with the question for me being is there a future in SA for the Afrikaaners and English at all.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>P1LGR1M wrote:</div>Thanks for the welcome.

@Malgus; thank you it is truly a life changing event and blessing becoming a father and I’m loving it.

@Whirlibird; if there is a braai, I’m in. Are you from SA?

Not from SA, but always had a soft spot in my heart for SA and Rhodesia. Have known a couple of people from both whom I considered friends. Picked up a few of their words and attitudes.

Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

Hi MB, that is a question I’ve asked myself plenty of times and I’m sure others have also. To be honest, I really don’t know, maybe we are doomed if we stay here, but where else shall we go? From my research I’ve been able to confirm that I am already the 8th generation of my family born in SA/Northern Rhodesia and it could very well be more, there are unfortunately no further info available or older generations still alive to dig deeper. I believe we have poured enough of our blood, sweat and tears into this ground to call it home, if however the worst does come to pass I would move to the USA in a heartbeat.

The really sad part is that everybody can see we are on a downhill into the abyss, yet many people prefer to do the ostrich move, rather than face reality and try to fix it before all is lost. This has happened time and again to the countries north of us and it seems as if we are doomed to repeat it. Suppose the main reason is that it is far easier to blame the past, than to take ownership and fix the present. That and this ridiculous self entitlement attitude that has reared its head amongst the younger generation.

Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

Not from SA, but always had a soft spot in my heart for SA and Rhodesia. Have known a couple of people from both whom I considered friends. Picked up a few of their words and attitudes.

Ok, was wondering where the afrikaans came from. My family was between SA and modern day Zambia, still have some very distant family up there.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Pilgrim, I hear you on SA being your home. My roots in New England, Quebec & the Canadian Maritimes go back to the early 1600’s and I can’t imagine having to leave this region. SA having succeeded far beyond anyplace else in Africa is because the Dutch and English settlers built a 1st world economy. Sadly, I am guessing that the ones now in power neither understand or appreciate that.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Pilgrim – welcome aboard! Great to see another voice to go along with Leopard. Look forward to seeing your input and some of the way you guys do things over there.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Goeie dag, P1lgr1m. Love your icon ! Whirlibird, it would be an honour to braai with you !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.