Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Would like to hear your opinion:
    Talked to a couple of people today after the latest active shooter event. Seems the two are worried that a new man-made shortage is around the corner.
    I really do not think so but what do you think?
    Robin

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Based on the record breaking background checks over the weekend, I suspected that there would be a jump in ammo purchases. Not sure if the latest shooter event will be the cause or not. Probably the latest pronouncement from El Presidente will drive those prone to panic to run our and get more ammo.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I agree , ” shortages ” are all behavioral , the lack of self control . Ammo producers dont really like it either , they prefer steady to panic buying . The problem they have is they need more factories when one hits , but after its over , they are stuck with factories they dont need …………..so they dont build them . I feel I have enough ammo except for 308 , after I correct that , It will be only now and again with the others . Here is a link to a site that lists the best prices , updated daily .

http://www.wikiarms.com/

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Personally, like food storage for example, I believe it’s prudent to have an appropriate supply of ANY commodity to reasonably suffice through an extended period of non-availability, without running out. Like anything, shooting is a use-it-or-lose-it skill, to a point at least, and regular trips to the range are a requirement if someone chooses to own a gun in my opinion. Because I can’t afford to keep up my proficiency as a pilot with a frequency that I consider more than minimum-safe, I have not flown in years. Having been an instructor pilot, I am very appreciative of the need to regularly train in ALL maneuvers and conditions, on a frequent basis, no matter how good a pilot one becomes. Occasional flights once or twice a month for an hour or two, with maybe one or two decent extended trips a year, are – in my opinion – sheer stupidity (meaning unsafe). I view shooting the same way (as with virtually ALL skills) – it must be practiced regularly and frequently. Thus going through a hundred rounds or less in a year is a virtual guarantee that accuracy and even familiarity with one’s weapon(s) will result in degraded proficiency (and even safety) over time. And therefore, having enough ammunition to adequately supply the practice rounds for each individual weapon, along with enough for intended and reasonably possible needed use, over an extended period of time in case supplies become what they were a year or two ago, is highly prudent.

As I posted in another area a few minutes ago, what would seem highly reasonable to someone owning one or more weapons with the intent of remaining proficient with each of them, would be reported in the news as a frightening arsenal of weapons and ammunition. Who cares? Who’s going to see it? So stocking up and KEEPING those levels up, rather than depleting the supply down in HOPES that it’ll be available, and at a reasonable price, a year from now, seems highly intelligent to me. If one has multiple weapons, particularly of different calibers, I can EASILY envision having thousands of rounds, and replacing them fairly regularly as they’re used in regular practice in order to stay proficient. That way, if the supply suddenly dries up as it did just before the end of the year a few years back, one is not down to just a couple of months of practice rounds. If it was food, we’d always want, ideally, to have a year’s supply according to most “experts” (whoever and whatever that means). We should never have to engage in panic buying – because it’s then that we pay the highest prices even if it’s available.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Also depends on HOW you buy ammo . If you go to the local store , then yes , you will be more prone to being a victim of a ” shortage ” . On the other hand , if you buy in bulk from online warehouses as a standard practice , both your need for it and its availability most likely wont effect you at all . Your choice in firearms can be a factor , is your weapon of choice a prom queen , that needs fussy attention and good ammo only ? or is it a biker bit@& , that doesnt care what you feed it , or fussy about the conditions it finds itself in ? I wont own a prom queen .

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

if you buy in bulk from online warehouses as a standard practice , both your need for it and its availability most likely wont effect you at all .

I would not agree. A couple of years ago roughly, as I recall, there were long periods when about the only thing you could find in many calibers was not anything of any quality most people would regularly use in their guns – and that was from on line “bulk” suppliers. And even when it was available, it could be months before quantities measuring in multiple 100s (300, 500 rounds) were available, let alone 1000 rounds at a time, and there were limits on boxes of 50 or 100, for example. Plus, prices were massively higher than they had been before the relatively sudden (but predicted) shortage hit.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Never had that problem , I do order 1000’s at a time , BEFORE I think I need it , as any good prepper should . If you get caught with your ammo pants down , simple fact is , your not doing a very good job as a prepper , you should have the 1000’s you needed long ago . As to quality , I have AKs , they will eat anything , like I said , no prom queens in my inventory , the FAL is almost as rugged as the AK , it has no problem with anything so far . Shotguns are shotguns , nuff said there , the pistols and the bolt action are not fussy either , although pistol ammo is of very good quality , as its rifle ammo that seems to get the shaft in a panic . 22 or 223 ? I dont own one , or plan to . The 22 I did have I gave to my nephew , he will get far more enjoyment out of it than I will . Panics go away , if you cant get what you need during a panic , dont worry , pick up more ammo for your shotgun , never a shortage of shotgun ammo .

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

You did it right, thus no problem. But anybody that isn’t up to speed simply cannot count on the mail order bulk outlets to still always have it. I watched it (NOT in a panic – just with interest) and noted quantities, and the 1000 round options simply disappeared for a time at multiple places. I pity anybody that was just starting out, and still pity (but a bit less) the person that had allowed him/herself to get to a point where they were running low during that time. You don’t wait to order more food until there’s only a month’s supply left in your previous 1-year supply…. I think we’re on the same page, overall.

GS

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I realize that not everybody has the money to go out and buy a 2000 round case , and have to get lesser amounts , spread out over time , been there , done that also . The thing I think about the most in prepping , and why I made a firearm and ammo , #1 priority , is because in my mind , all your money should go there first . If you dont provide yourself with the means to protect your person , family , and last of all , your preps , then all the money you spend on other things could be taken from you with little difficulty . I could be wrong , but thats a theory that has made the most sense to me .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I bought another 22LR brick yesterday. Stock up!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I would expect more of an up tic in body armor purchases. I saw one manufacturer offering a minimalist level III plate set up for $200. It didn’t give as much coverage as a standard set up but was lighter and looked to be easy to transport. I am contemplating picking one of these up just to keep in the truck.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Kind of a hard call for me , the idea of one is appealing , but I’m not sure I would want the encumbrance . I think I will pass for now .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.