Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

What’s your experience where you are? Am still frustrated is so hard to find any reasonably priced .22LR ammo. Read supply is getting better but can’t tell around here!

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Yes, it’s frustrating, but not impossible. You just have to commit a large portion of your life to research. Look at the post “Helpful website: Gunbot” under Gear Talk for a list of inventory search websites. That will help, but you have to be quick. Sells out rapidly.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Fortunately I bought 22s in bricks many years back. I haven’t seen anything I would consider as reasonable. I use to buy it for S12.00 for 500 rds. It is a enormous rip off for 22s right now.
    Personally I think buying a high quallity air gun in .177 or .22 is the way to go. Lots of pellets available, and they could be cast or swedged if they dissappear off the shelves. Additionally Gamo and others make guns with a silencer. That is a hugh advantage. Lots of air guns push over 1000 fps now.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

That’s a great point I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned here yet. I also have a Gamo Air Rifle in .177 that will easily take small game. They’re reasonably quiet and cheap to shoot (so far). But I wouldn’t put it past the powers that be to some day try to regulate them also. They did it in the UK. And we seem to be trying real hard to follow in their footsteps. I have been fortunate in the last two months to pick up a couple thousand .22LR using the invenrtory search websites, and only paying between 6-8 cents a round. May have been better at one time, but now that’s not too bad. Anyway, thanks for bringing up air rifles.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

If getting an air gun get one that is more than a plinker

http://quackenbushairguns.com/

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Career_Dragon_Slayer_50/771

if you want something reusable get a sling shot for small game can get a rock almost anywhere

in canada

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/byCategory/ammunition/

sales vary but try the gun shows you can get some deals for rim fire you should learn to reload the rest of the ammo

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

It has been 4 weeks since I seen any 22lr. I purchase 600 at a Walmart in the morning, they had them for $7.49 for 100 box. so I got 3 and the sales man told me to just go to the car and come back for three more, so I did. It is still higher then the 550 boxes I used to buy for 21.98 at Walmart before. I have a lot stored away and buy every time I find them.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

We’re pretty well stocked up on .22lR. I do think it’s slowly starting to catch up in some areas. I’ve heard some Walmarts have done away with their limits. My biggest problem right now is getting some powders for reloading. Otherwise, my supply is looking pretty good. I really don’t think prices will ever go as far down as they use to be, but I hope I’m wrong.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bushrat,
    Things have eased up here with powder, the old standard stuff anyway. Never have found any Hodgdon CFE 223 in stock though. Maybe it will start to come your way.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am seeing in BassPro and Walmart .223 but not any .308. I have been looking for .308 for over a year now, there is some online but the prices are high. The .223 prices has gone down some.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    You should think about reloading, there are a lot of components. On gunbroker there is 308 brass for $5.95 a LB.(not sure of the number count) I’m guessing about 50.
    Each round costs about:
    .20 cents a head, .03 cents primer, around .25 cents powder

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v I have never done the reloading, what is the easier reload gear or the best. I need to learn all about the reloading.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/step_by_step_reloading.aspx#

Freedom,
    Best is subjective but most manufactures are very good. I don’t care for Lee products, others do. Rcbs, Hornady, Lyman all make good presses. There are starter kits and it probably is best to get one.

For a large rifle cartridge like 308 a single stage is best and for beginning as well.

Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading is available for Kindel. You need to have a manual. There are others Speer, Seirra, Lyman and more. You must follow the manual. Fortunately online help is available as well.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Thanks 1974t150v. Would love to find some W231 and Hodgdon HS-6 powders. Freedom, I love my RCBS Rockchucker single stage press for rifle calibers. Agree with 1974t150v, Hornady and Lyman are also good. Depending on the caliber some components can be a bit tough to locate, but things are slowly improving.

Try to get your primers and powder at the LGS to avoid shipping and Hazmat fees. Everything else can be gotten online. Highly recommend getting a reloading manual or two before you purchase anything else. I like my Speer and Hornady manuals. Read them thoroughly and they will guide you in the hows and wherefores of the process. Then you can begin thinking about the calibers, equipment, and the loads you might want to start loading.

I don’t necessarily reload to save money (although once the equipment costs are covered there are savings), but to be able to shoot more. And I love just spending a quiet evening relaxing and putting a few of my favorite loads together, knowing they will, generally speaking, be more reliable and accurate than store bought for my gun. I haven’t hunted with a factory load in 30 years.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here. There are some other reloaders on here who would be happy to help out. Hope this helps.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bushrat,
    I will keep my I out for the 231 maybe figure out a way to get it to you.

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

Personally I am fond of the Lee Loaders , Reloading without a press, helped me learn a lot about the process without being distracted by having to learn much about setting up the press at the same time. It is a bit disconcerting to use a rubber mallet as a reloading tool at first, but you end up going slow enough and handling the cartridge at every single step so you can see what is happening and figure out why.

I picked up a used Lee Classic press cheap that I have been using for 6-7 years now, and I am about ready to switch to a Lee Turret press, I like the idea of being able to set the dies exactly how I want them for a given load, and then be able to switch back and forth between calibers with most of the change over time being spent putting the previous loads components away and getting the new loads out instead of having to do multiple tests to get things dialed in.

Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.