Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

What can you learn from the ambush in Dallas that could help you survive after SHTF.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I will get back to this when my temper is more suitable for public consumption.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    Looking into my crystal ball I’d say things get worse for everybody. Bringing us closer to the edge.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Depends on what side of the ambush your talking about . If your doing the ambush , the guerillas fighting the Japanese had a 7 second rule , dont engage the enemy for more than 7 seconds before your on your way out . This was because after 7 seconds , the surprise is gone , and they start to get their bearings , and come after you . If your on the receiving end , snipers are a pain in the butt , even for trained soldiers , you might have to stay under cover until dark ……..and hope they dont have night vision . Selco talked about having to spend an unplanned stay to avoid snipers .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Ambush and lockdown. The ambush may have only Act 1. It looks like the cops are setting up defensive positions in Dallas. The police station is being prepared for an attack. Benghazi 2. What happens tonight will be interesting. I’m not sure the PD has enough people to hold this area. Not that they have much choice but to hold. They need tanks.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

False alarm. This isn’t Assault On Precinct 13. But it may be a diversion. Spotting one suspicious guy in a parking garage doesn’t mean much.

Seems like a real useful item in a sniper attack would be smoke. Against thermal imaging … Maybe not.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, I’m not suggesting in any way that someone could learn to ambush someone. My question is how will you detect and prevent being the target of a sniper style ambush. After shtf I believe this will be a common method of attacking to steal your stuff.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thats the problem , there is really no way of knowing for sure if somebody is lying in wait . As far as learning how to ambush somebody , no I dont like the idea either , but at the same time , having an understanding of HOW to best do it in any given area , will also help you better understand what to look for . Thats the biggest problem with a sniper , you really dont know until the bugger opens fire .

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

You do what the reg forces do you get as far away from site of ambush as possible, as they have had time to prep the area for your detriment. Staying and fighting is staying in a prepared kill box with funneling and secondary ambush points as well as no cover that cant been turned into a death trap.

in a crowd you surf the crowd just in from edges so you can break away when clear not in center so you get trampled or edges where you can be likely targeted. If more than one person in your group and you are not in same physical condition it can be a death sentence so have a secondary back up meet in case of separation with a time allowance then move again but who preps like that when going out to dinner.

If out side try to get inside with a solid roof know the difference between cover and concealment, know what out going and incoming sound like, count the shots. Use the crowd as a meat shield.

as for how detect if you are a target… unless you have crazy personal security you are up the creek without a paddle, just hope you are lucky or have a shitty sniper targeting you. With new types of targeting and optics software like this http://www.range365.com/american-sniper-wife-takes-on-world-shooting-champ-in-long-range-match you are basically done for, now an unskilled person can do the job of years , decades of training only thing they dont have is the how people react under such situations.

Tolik most of time you dont even realize till second shot if they are any good far enough away that the sound will hit factions before second round does. Seen crowds rush a machine gun emplacement but flee from sniper it is a mentality thing they think they can dodge a machine gun but sniper they fear they are the target.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Good time to have an Uzi periscope. Being on the second floor the sniper probably became the target of concentrated police fire soon after he started shooting. If he was on top of the roof like the Texas tower sniper the cops would have been limited to using rifles and shooting up. Using a bomb to kill him seems like an act of revenge. Reading the info on him he apparently was both Muslim and black but took a stand against white Devils primarily as a black person and a black panther. His weapon of choice was an old sks. Just about a zillion of those around.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“All the stuff happening, I want distance and magnification.” Whirlybird

I copied this quote from another thread because it is a key factor required to provide security for any occupied location.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

What can you learn from the ambush in Dallas that could help you survive after SHTF.

To quote Clint Smith: “Rifles eat body armor like Pac-Man eats dots”.

Officer Thompson used his pistol from a place of concealment to shoot Johnson directly in the back. His pistol bullet bounced off the killers armor plate. Johnson then turned and advanced, sadly moving behind Thompson where he fired the lethal shot from mere feet.

Had Thompson fired his pistol ‘tactically’, he’d be here today. Same for the other 4 Officers.
    Thompson fired like he was trained to do, Center Of Mass. Had he raised his sights, say 12″……

Lesson One: Keep your eyes on the target. Know if they are coming for you.
    Lesson Two: This isn’t a snatch and grab robbery, change your mindset and target. The days of COM (Center Of Mass) shooting are over. Separate post to follow.

This was a “peaceful” protest, the problem with this is twofold.
    First, when you’re considering that BLM is essentially a hate group, hating ‘whitey’, the group dynamic is already all but a mob, with the same mentality. It is not a safe group to be around, regardless of color.
    Secondly, as part of the group, you have no individuality. You could be a doctor, lawyer or housewife in normal life, but as part of the mob, you’re just another screaming voice. Herded and urged along with the rest of the flock, perhaps to slaughter.
    As part of the mob, you can’t escape. You’re stuck where you are, unless you’re on the fringe, and even then.
    As part of the mob, you may be being led right into the abattoir and not even know it until it’s too late.
    Post-SHTF this will be especially important, as the group is a really ripe juicy target for defender and attacker alike. Look what the Korean shopkeepers did with shotguns during the LA Riots, what various Riot cops did in the 60’s, aimed for the masses and skipped buckshot into shins. I expend 2-4 rounds and hobble a dozen or more? The stampede will commence (and did).

Lesson Three: Stay out of large groups. “There is no escape”.
    Lesson Four: Avoid “Extremists/Hate Groups” like the plague.
    This is an especially tough one for some. And we’re not just talking BLM, but the Bundy Ranch Militia also qualifies. Ya, I just torqued off a bunch of people, but it applies also. Extremists on any side can get you just as dead with stupid antics, tactics and motives.
    Just being in the wrong car with someone can put you at risk, depends on them. But they are leading you to trouble that you can’t avoid.

Lesson Five: Always be armed. Yes, there were supposedly @20 “open carry” protesters in the group, and not a one shot back. But they could have, except that they’d likely have gotten shot by the LEO’s who were there, entirely by mistake. Discretion vs Valor, one of the “open carry” gents, handed his rifle to Police and aided the injured. He did what was more important, and what he could do.
    But if there are no LE present, you can shoot back, retreat (or advance) while returning fire, keeping the bad guys head down. They don’t like active resistance. More on this to follow in COM thread.

It would be good to review Rogers’ Rules of Ranging.

http://www.rogersrangers.org/rules/index.html

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Whirli,

Oddly enough, you and I agree on a few things again. My solution to such a situation as the Dallas thing? Don’t be there. Just like they teach in many martial arts, the easiest way to block a punch is simply by not being where it is thrown.

I am keeping my eyes on the potential protests/demonstrations today and this weekend since I have to drive right through two of the areas where they are scheduled. Tomorrow I may be driving quite uncomfortably for 220 miles in a set of plates and some firepower within arms reach.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

My question is intended to be broader then the attack on police or at a public event.

There is no question in my mind that after shtf, raiders will want to snipe their victims from concealment rather than attempt open assaults.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Whirl you know why they train center of mass because many officers can barely qualify to have their gun, i see it on the range i go to, at 20 feet some are lucky to get all of them on the paper have seen several of them have to redo several times to get a pass usually with pressure of chief firearms officer from their boss because of man power.

Add to this most places a cheap with ammo and some frankly never go to range until time to re qualify and you see why aim for the com is what they teach, even though you are completely right about the need for ability to hit what you aim at.

that is why you use a patrol set up with scouts flankers and rear guard and everyone knowing where to go when it goes wrong. this takes time and practice on rough terrain and in confined ones so everyone goes same speed. You will need coms and such but most folks dont have time or dont think it is important enough to train doing this with full gear. let alone with working on diminished personnel or having “injured”.

For after shft will depend on technological sophistication of you vs your opposition, you have night gear they dont well move at night ect moving at night quietly is a skill that is difficult to learn over many environments with a group and not leaving a trail. there is a reason why recon is small 6 and under in size for most non base deployments. As for snipers well how good a shot are you , if you can spot them, a person who passes a stalk to get the pass will basically be invisible to 99% of people till too late. Stalk training here is over 12 months everyday after passing the shooting qualifications, then you can do additional mountain training. the will hit at about 800-1200 yard is a dead sure kill box with even a hunting rifle. dependent on equipment and guys 2400yards is still in range.

you will never see them at 800 at 2400 not a hope in hell. In Selco area they where shooting through building holes to kill people, as a normal people you have very little chance against such a team. just run and hope they choose someone else as a target.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.