Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bikes have a lot going for them in a survival situation. A mountain bike or other types with wide tires for off road (as MB suggested) provides the most options for travel. All adult size frames will carry 250 lb loads (+). Bicycles are nearly silent and can travel at much higher speeds than on foot.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Toby,
    You’d have to run into a European bike made before the 1980’s to have the shifter and rear brake switched sides from the current universal system, shifter on the left side, rear brake on the right side. Almost universal is first gear one down, then 2,3,4 and 5 up. Shifting down is 5 down and one back up for neutral. The clutch is always on the left side of the handlebar and the front brake one the right side. (This is true even on backward configured Brit bikes from pre 80’s)

Not all bikes have clutch on the left handlebar and many older American bikes were 1 up and 3 down on shifting. Many older American bikes have a pedal on the left side that operates the clutch and then a shifter on the left side of the tank for the gear. This is called a “suicide shift” and there are many V-twins out there are that are being made in that configuration again as a retro style.

As for riding horses, mules, and donkeys: Training each animal is totally different than one another, but they usually ride about the same. You do have to determine if they neck reign or plow reign. That means you either use one hand to put the reigns upon the animal’s neck and it turns from there or if you have to pull the head around using both hands like you were driving a plow/cart/etc.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled, I left suicide shifters out on pupose just to see who are the bikers. Anyway not many of the pre 52 era Harley’s are still on the road compared to what has been made since that time. I’m sorta thinking a hog with straight pipes might not be the best ride after SHTF. That loud pipes save lives slogan is going to get stood on it’s head. But then anything that still runs is a bonus.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

74:

Old HD’s never die… They just require more money……..

Many current rides are built on Vtwin configs and there is a huge push for old FL style suicide shifts with the old ratchet top style shift patterns. I see them all the time under the biker boys riding around on their Swedish wanna-be choppers and retro FL’s. Some on old BSA/Triumph chopper builds as well.

I agree about the old bikes being the only thing running, but not too stealthy. Most guys who have them know what does or doesn’t work to keep them on the road, though. Hell, I had old Buick points in my Shovel for many years before I went to an electronic setup. Been thinking about going back because it ran better with points.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If I was buying a motorcycle for shtf I’d be interested in a dual sport or dirt bike that has a lot of torque. The suspensions can get you through stuff street bikes just can’t handl

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Motorcycles are fine , but come SHTF , make sure the damn thing is QUIET , no need to let the trogs know your coming before they even see you . I picture A LOT of dead Harley riders …………….the Trogs will take the gear , but leave the bike lol .

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for all the comments on this thread. VERY interesting, I’m really enjoying reading it!!

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Thank god for ninja bikes.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    I’m not certain if that was sarcasm or not, but a lot of 4 cylinder bikes, sport bikes or UJM’s are very quiet at low rpms. Street tires are horrible on wet off road surfaces though. Even wet grass will put the rubber pointed up.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This BO vehicle is for sale://images.craigslist.org/01313_2pASE7UjQLk_1200x900

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The thing with any vehicle come SHTF , is keep in mind , you may have to abandon it at some point , by choice or not . Make sure you have some gear ready , and packed in such a way that you can grab and go , in case you have to leave it and beat feet .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Walking is the only way you can move unobserved.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Learn to fly an ultra light, easy to upgrade to other air craft except rotary. Remember all aircraft are left FULLY fueled to avoid condensate in the gas. and they have pitiful locks on them any screwdriver and you are in, not like they get stolen in these times as you cant sell one without all the paperwork and tags. Most private fixed wings are non electrical in nature alot of planes from the 60s still around.

double shifting is a interesting skill as well as being able to judge gear for steep hills, or it may be better walking for some, you cant simply brake your way out of a steep hill with a loaded air brake semi. You will melt the brakes and still not stop.

as for a quiet form of transport, you can get well muffled enduros motor bikes and have a few sets of tires and a side car. Harleys as nice as they are are older ones you spend alot fixing time, Newer ones you can ride all the time but mainly electronic controlled ignition and injection so useless in emp.

problem is that you have 0 protection from elements.

as for blockages on hwy think tow truck/ ambulance for those in snow area plow truck will remove most parked cars if you dont care about insurance issues

you can always go by rail, modern diesel electrics might not work but we have a local steam coal fire one that can use normal tracks locally. and an old two man pump jack if you really need to

sail boats are good in some regions that is one area i can do ok in good weather but no way in heavy storm.

air is first way to leave no traffic jams lots of rural landing strips and you go as the crow flies cutting days of travel. second is by water if you can get to where you want by that form, third is by land as every body will be trying that.

as for being unobserved a plane is damn hard to spot after 2000 feet hell at air port try seeing more than 5 planes, most have 20+ in the tower area.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

PlanBmarine.com

Chris Dowhie has a boats if you need to escape Manhatten. Of course it will cost you. The boats run about 7k a month for 10 people as a group to sign up for a year. No cheating on these boats. They’re not dinkys. Get across the Hudson River have a fast car / Humvee waiting. Boat operates on a code system.

Ny Post
    Jan 1, 2017
    These families have elaborate escape plans if terror hits NYC.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

[I]f you are going to have a bicycle for these purposes I recommend you consider one of those newer old fashioned bikes that have fatter tires and no gears/shifting or disc or hydraulic brakes. At issue is maintenance. Bent derailleurs cannot be fixed. Trust me I know.

I don’t doubt you, though I haven’t suffered a bent derailleur … yet. Still, it doesn’t take too much imagination to see how it could happen. What internal shifting hubs have you used and (do you) recommend? I have no experience with any of them, and they’re fairly spendy to be experimenting. Also, would you run only a single front sprocket, or a gang of 3 for the range they provide? Out here in SF, and at my age, I’ve come upon some hills/roads (25% – >35%) I won’t try to pedal in any gear I have. I just get off and push, or go around.

I’m always trying to improve my bike, especially from the standpoint of ruggedness/repairability. My current bike is a 21 speed thrift shop special, bought years ago at a thrift shop for $17.99. I’ve put about $150 into it, over the years, adding things like lights, fenders, a rack, fold-out panniers, mostly at thrift shop/swap meet prices. It serves me to run errands of ~8 miles or less, and I haven’t tried to ride home with more than about 35 lbs of groceries.

Since I’ll be moving out of SF, into generally flatter territory, I bought a kid carrier trailer to convert into a more generalized load hauler. But for all of that, I figure that for a wheeled, and human-powered GOOD solution for a no fuel/roads blocked situation, something like a Pack Wheel or a Honey Badger Wheel might be the most reliable, albeit slowest, kind of transport, for those of us who lack a stable: I know a wheel can carry ~5x more than I can on my back, and at less “cost” to my knees.

Cry, "Treason!"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.