Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I know there is a lot of info out there on biofuel for diesels and alternatives. I have a diesle truck and have heard you can run burnt motor oil through them. It seems like a great option that will be readily available in shtf. Just think of all the abandon cars left on the road when they run out of gas. I remember all the abandon cars on the roads in footage from Iraq. I remeber all the cars abandon on the highway when hurricane Ike hit. Pop the drain plug. Drain oil into oil change pan with a pour spout and filter it as you pour it in your tank. Does anyone have experience with this? Will that work?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,

The life of you engine will probably be short.  Used motor oil will no doubt burn but the absorbed impurities and acids in the oil are going to be destructive.  It wouldn’t be posible to remove all the impurities with a small filter.

Home heating oil will work very well as an alternative.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

‘Home heating oil will work very well as an alternative’  Yeah, but if you get caught doing it big fine!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

How old is your truck? If older then 1975 it will work in an EMP attack and they will be many cars and truck in the street died from the EMP so gas and diesel will be every were. You just have to be on the look out for the people wanting to kill you for the truck.
    <div id=”stcpDiv” style=”position: absolute; top: -1999px; left: -1988px;”>truck</div>

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

@1974

When you say short engine life, are we talking 50 miles short or more like 10k miles short. The oil was more of an option just to get me where I need to be if I was low on fuel not really a long term solution.

@freedom

It is a 07  5.9 liter dodge. I have heard you can put a Faraday cage around the ecm and computer to protect against emp. It is hard to tell fact from fiction with all the info out there and I don’t have a spare emp device laying around to test with lol. Any ideas on whether cage will work?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

No I have not! I have heard of many buying an exrta computer parts and ecm parts some batterie cables and even a battery and putting them all in a Faraday Cage. That would word for sure. Some are putting there extra car or truck in a shipping container if you have the land for the container.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I hadn’t thought about that. I already have the container,  just not sure it will fit with the tires that are on it. Going to have to do some measuring.  Thanks.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, it maybe be cheaper to get spare thin tires and get the truck in the container, leave the big tires outside since nothing is going to happen to them.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,

It’s hard to say but with the amount of solids in used oil I’d be surprised if you went 10 miles.  There are a lot of used oil burners around and the tray under them is filled with nasty carbon looking gunk They filter it before burning.  Oil is a lot thicker than diesel as well, the injectors would not function properly.

Look for abandoned trucks with side tanks, they should have plenty of fuel.

Tweva,

He plans to sabotage 10 or twenty cars on the road, illegal home fuel oil is the least of his problems.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, matt76 has a container so he needs to put it in the container. If there is an EMP he is protected just like you will be(did you get the container?) also the container will protect from anything that may happen in a SHTF. matt76 you will find fuel in the streets just study ways to get the fuels out of the trucks and cars( got the tools)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

No room for a container at my place, well not without a separation of some kind.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

What kind of range does an emp have, say worst case scenario a nuke goes off?

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Do not know is it credible, but it worth checking.

http://www.empcover.com/EMP-Attack-Simulation.html

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, That looks like all the ones I have looked at. Some are more centered in the U. S. and would cover all of the U. S. so it all depends were they set the bomb at.

matt76, it may only take out 50% of the U. S. or all the U. S.

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

Do a google search on the old military multi-fuel trucks.  IF you are thinking of trying to run alternatives through your truck you would want to mix the fuel.  For example, the old Kaiser 2.5 ton trucks called for 2 parts gas and 1 part kerosene or 3 parts gas 1 part motor oil (something like that)  I know the older diesels were more forgiving when you did this but I’m not sure what you might get into with the newer trucks.  Another thing to remember (I know of a gent here locally that does this) is any place that uses a deep fry has oil, you could add 5 gallons of vegge oil to a tank to get more miles out of the fuel you have.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.