Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ok, it’s not often that I have lust at first sight when it comes to knives, at least anymore.
    Fact is, I have too many as it is.

But sometimes something catches your eye and I will admit I am smitten.

Haven’t had the opportunity to play with one of these yet, but I am already considering selling off a couple of unused blades to get one of these.

http://almazanknives.com/

The price is right, the design is good, and the handle is simple and functional.

Anyone want some superfluous blade

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

I’m confused by that site – are they charging $499 for a fine piece of cutlery, or $89 for a cheap Chinese knock-off, or $89 for a high quality knife?? The biggest source of confusion is the video way at the bottom of the site, under the discussion about the Kitchen Channel’s $499 knife and their bad-mouthing of the Almazon knife. The Almazon site SEEMS to show how they make this knife out of a cheap piece of Chinese “junk,” yet other places on the site seem to imply a stand-alone piece of well made steel.

If nothing else though, don’t miss the owl (there are several videos of Mr. Ramsay the Owl). He shows up at 0:55 in this video:

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

It’s the $89 for quality.
    Compared to $500 for the reworked Chinese cleaver.

I’ve seen the latter..
    Thin needle tang easily broken off. Questionable metallurgy…. Pass.

Always liked the cleaver for cooking, but the dubious construction and quality kept me away.
    In this case, I am looking at these with a jaundiced eye, but haven’t found anything bad yet. We shall see.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Takes a lot of oil to cook that way! And who says it’s not really “Epic Fried Whole Free Range Owl?” I didn’t see Mr. Ramsay show up for a beakful, after the frying was done. But a knife/cleaver like that could be useful for some tasks.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

You mean you don’t carry around a big pouch of cooking oil while you’re out in the woods?!? LOL!

But give Mr. Ramsay a break – he shows up in some of the other Almazan videos, and is pretty cute – even does a nearly 180° rotation of his head while looking straight at you in one video. I think he should get a pass. :-)

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

You could lose a finger with that sausage cutter. With the chainmail glove it comes to $500.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

My regular camp/kitchen knives are quite offensive in size, including my normal 10″ chefs knife.
    Think short sword.

This I still want.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

This looks like a variation of a woodman’s cleaver. It is almost like a seax and a cleaver had a love child. Cleavers are very useful in the field and many custom makers forge them.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.