Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed it but the non-US members rarely post anymore nor do a lot of the US folks that used to be regulars here, and I am wondering if it is because almost all of the threads and posts are us US guys talking US politics and doing so with a very conservative political bent. The focus of the forum used to be discussing SHTF scenarios and preparedness matters. Of late it has been more a political discussion forum.

Profile photo of 74

I believe you are probably correct. However anyone can post a thread on a topic of their own choosing with no limitations. Oddly topics Selco posted received little attention. It makes me think we have a very small audience.

I know that i for one don’t come here for political bs.

I can get that on CNN or Fox news 24/7.

Why discuss and argue something endlessly when nothing is going to come of it? Education and information is one thing, endless bickering is for congress.

Between the infighting that invariably occurs, and the taking of sides, it can quickly kill an excellent forum.
    Been there, watched it happen more than once.

One of the things that brought me here was the foreign viewpoint, that of Selco and the other members, outside the US. Looking for new and different information, new tricks that may assist me and mine through hard times. In some respects, the original “members only” forum was an asset, being a paid ‘service’, one just didn’t jump in and many of the discussions were more purist. But the lack of the varied opinions and experiences was something of a detriment also.

Personally, I enjoy and dive into information posted by our African friends, it’s timely and poignant.
    Same for our Greek correspondent. But when the discussions delve into the depths of economic-socio-politics, and the darker recesses of mens control fantasies, I tend to just hit “Mark all read” and move to the next subject.

Endless discusions about Trump v. Cruz v. Billary v Sanders only drives people away who aren’t looking for political claptrap. Sure it’s great to understand how Zero is like Lincoln, but that doesn’t help the single mother in Schenectady to keep food on the table in an emergency.

There are a number of comments on Selco’s blog entries from people that never register and post here, any wonder why? There are 37 comments on the Post disaster violence blog entry, yet only 4 responses to Toby’s posting the the Blog entry.

How about we simply ask Selco and Jay for a subforum for the US BS so we can urinate in the wind all we can and not disturb the rest of the forum with the rantings of a handful. Leaving the rest of the forum for things like ‘finding water in a destroyed town’, ‘roadkill etouffee’ and ‘building an off-grid hidey-hole’.

Personally I think it’s time to go back to a more purist forum, more survival, less garbage.
    But that’s just me.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of 74

There are only about 10 of us posting so there is no one else to blame for the content on the forum. Personally I think everyone should be bringing ideas and articles to the site for everyone else to read and think about. MB’s post on ice houses was an excellent example, and we have had many others in the past. I don’t have the time to type whole articles on any given topic but I do find articles other people have written that I think will help other’s in some way. Given that every post comes under scrutiny for credibility it’s easier then arguing the points of each post as well.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Profile photo of Brulen

I like selco’s topics but I’m often at a loss to add anything. At the moment though I’m off to vote. Gotta add my 5 cents to CW2. The tension is rising like static electricity. I been opening doors with my elbows lately lest I get bit. My bumper sticker reads “Who is John Galt?” Seeing what’s happening is believing what you see. They can’t offer me $15 an hour to vote for crooked HRC. They sell you dreams, not reality. This is not a conservative comment btw, it’s an antisocial observation.

Profile photo of sledjockey

If it helps at all, I have plans on doing some friction fire posts now that it isn’t as squishy here in the PNW…..

I agree with MB. All the US political stuff is over riding all other topics and not just here. Of course I am just as guilty as everyone else with conservative views, comments and slant on all aspects of my life. It it puts things in perspective I would like to state that even I am getting tired of political stuff….. Of any sort. I am burned the heck out.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint

74 is right on target:

However anyone can post a thread on a topic of their own choosing with no limitations. Oddly topics Selco posted received little attention.

Is that BECAUSE of the overload of U.S. political discussion, or is there just not enough world-wide participation? I note that when our members from non-U.S. countries post, there are always responses, but those threads don’t seem to last long. And the same is true of Selco’s and Toby’s posts in the Blog or over on Facebook (which I don’t generally follow, not having a Facebook account).

If people don’t want to read or participate in the non-U.S. political threads, no one’s objecting. I see 14 available forums listed. Discussions in one or two forums have little or nothing, in most cases, to do with the others, except perhaps very peripherally. So is the problem that some don’t LIKE the direction in the U.S.-focused threads, or merely blaming that as an excuse to be disgruntled with the far lower number of posts in other threads? Who’s inhibiting the posting of material on any of the following?

Personal Survival Experience & Lessons Learned
    Hands On Projects
    Gear Talk
    Urban Survival
    Wilderness Survival

If somebody’s answer is, “Well, I’m just tired of coming here and seeing all these U.S. political discussions and viewpoints I’m not interested in reading,” the answer is, “Just ignore them” and read the others. If no one posts there, then is the problem that there aren’t enough people willing to share their ideas in those threads as well, or are there no more good ideas? (The latter makes about as much sense as the head of the Patent office back around the turn of the 19th to 20th century stating that almost all of the new ideas had already been thought of.) In either case, then this Forum will ultimately die either because there’s no new information on the above list of topics, or else there’s not enough motivation for sharing of good information.

Perhaps just a “thanks for the great info” post would be helpful for those that do post articles in the above-listed topics. Just as one example, 74’s “Handgun Ammunition Stopping Power Update” thread a few months back, had some really solid information in it. Yet there were only six total posts in the thread before it died, and those six posts were from three people (including the originator – 74). It can be a bit demotivating, particularly over time, when someone takes the time to post something potentially useful to others, but then gets zero feedback from all but two of our members. That thread was not unique. And I doubt that U.S. politics had anything to do with it – if that’s the excuse, it’s just that – an excuse.

One thing this thread did do for me was cause me to re-evaluate how much I might have been injecting U.S. issues into other threads in my responses. And to the extent that’s the case, my sincere apology. Hijacking a thread is never appropriate, and I’ll be more aware of it going forward. Beyond that however, those above six threads can be added to at any time, or comments about one of Toby’s or Selco’s Blog posts can be added at any time as well. Nobody’s preventing those, to my knowledge. As someone once said, if we ain’t part of the solution, perhaps we’re part of the problem.

"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Well as far as the non US members go , we have to remember that they have similar web sites in their own country , in their own language , talking about their politics . It’s good to hear from them , as it gives us a different perspective , but its not all that surprising .
    As far as US members dropping off as well , that is natural ebb and flow of the internet . I have to admit the forum is getting a bit boring . I have to agree that politics in the past year or more , seem to dominate the discussions here . Granted , survivalism and politics go hand in hand , because politics effect the other directly , no avoiding it , but it does seem that we have lost our way a little bit . Most of the time , there are only about 5-7 members keeping the forum going , I think it would become more interesting to people browsing if we could start making a conscious effort to get back to survivalism , like gear , ideas , advise , etc . I dont think Selco’s blog is having any problems , as its draw is his real world experiences , the forum on the other hand is getting a bit stale , and kind of seems like it belongs on another web site rather than this one , because the content is so different now . Shifting back , will take effort on everybody’s part . Somebody buts up a gear idea , or post , you hear crickets , somebody puts up a political post , people are all over it like a wet diaper , I get your point completely . Its getting boring .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.