Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

All you have to do is do a search in Google or any other search engine, there are so many articles and studies about it. The military did a study on this too, they have almost all there trucks that if an EMP fries there computers they are able to pull them out and there trucks will still work the old way like cars and trucks from the 1970’s.

EMP works just like a large solar flare which would fry everything. I think there is a post on EMP on this forum that has a lot of information on EMP.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Well guys and gals, the “Law of Inverse Squares” does apply to EMP.
    But better to be over-prepared rather than Under!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Okay, I am NOT an expert by any description…

That being said, from what I understand, it isn’t the EMP that we have to worry about. It’s what’s called The Compton Effect, which is more-or-less supercharging the original EMP, which is truly awful… EDIT: This takes place above the atmosphere. When a N00k is biffed at a high enough altitude, the original N00k-generated EMP will slam into the ionosphere, which sets up the Compton Effect – making the EMP much more powerful than it originally was. I’ve read the physics of it and in truth, I don’t understand all of it. What I do know is that an EMP that slams into the ionosphere = bad.

Which is thoroughly Bad News.

The rule of thumb is that the more advanced the electronics are, the more delicate they are and the more susceptible to the EMP pulse they are… older electronics – 60’s and 50’s, 40’s, etc – are more robust.

Any vehicle made after 1980 has some type of rudimentary computer in it… EFI or something. Say goodbye to those if/when an EMP hits. Older vehicles having carburetors and point-type ignition? They should be fine. Lead/acid batteries should also be fine. Because, you know, chemistry? EMP’s don’t suspend the laws of chemistry and physics, soooo..

Older electronics – like, the kinds that still use tubes? – will probably still be vulnerable. So, if you have an old radio that runs on tubes, stash away a bunch of spares. Some vehicles made after 1980 will survive, just by playing the odds… some will be parked deep underground in parking lots dotted around the country and will thus be shielded… surge protectors won’t do ****, since an EMP doesn’t follow along power lines like a lightning strike or power surge will.

Bottom line is that if you have a decent shortwave setup, then have spares squirreled away in a Faraday Cage. Same with two-way radios, any electronics you want to use post-SHTF, including night vision, etc. Even things as simple as a wristwatch will be DRT. Dead Right There. So, if you want to use it and it runs on electricity, then put it in the cage…

One decent sized N00k that’s biffed over Kansas City will still take out most of the US and parts of Canada and Mexico. If we’re gonna be hit, it will be on each coast, plus in the middle somewhere… which is really gonna suck.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, Thank you for a clear explanation Bro!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tweva, you are a wise soul. Know that I am not particularly concerned about my personal survival, though the curious part of me would like to be around to see how things turn out. My prepping is in hopes that I can help save my kids and grandbabies, and maybe a few others. Though I may envy somewhat the oblivious state most people exist in, I am grateful that I was blessed with the ability to connect the dots and see the possible futures that lie before us.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, tweva is not only wise she is very prepared!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

MountinBiker – Thank you, although I don’t know how wise I am! I don’t have children. From a very young age I never felt compelled to reproduce. Could never visualize myself in that role. What I have always been was a very good planner and big picture person; although as an international finance major I also see details easily. Since my late 20’s I have always felt it important I plan for a ‘teaching’ farm and school. And, in my late 40’s for some reason, to talk to wealthy landowners around here and take long-term, first options on their land to rent for growing crops or running cattle and sheep (which I got at silly cheap rates) it – land they just like to look at and have someone currently bushhog or mow. They don’t think I am nuts now. I am running cattle on a bunch of different farms now. (Beef herds are at all time historic low in this country) We are not in a really drought prone area (and land is generally well watered); and, in the mid-atlantic have historically very fertile land here in the foothills. I think I will be helping to teach others how to grow food – and lots of it. Probably others will teach other skills with my place as a base? Haha – might be sooner than later as I am getting older every day! I think Vermont and NH will be fine (as opposed to other areas of the country). Don’t grill me on that – it is just my gut intuition speaking. In my world, believing as I do, I believe we all choose our time, place and people/life we are born into in order to best learn the lessons our souls need to learn; and, serve with our innate abilities best we may. So, don’t worry so much (would be my view) about your kids and grandkids – their souls knew what they were signing up for before they arrived. That you prepared for them will help ensure they can best accomplish their goals and tasks set before them before birth. Kudos to you.

Freedom! Haha. I don’t feel prepared! Do we ever?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, I read every word you post! Haha! You still need to teach me how to grow more food here in Florida.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

That’s an excellent post Malgus.

Did anyone post a thread on DIY Faraday Cages? I really need to get on that, especially since I’m finally getting into amateur radio. Don’t want my gear fried.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Mr. Red, I bought a 1500 count 7.62 ammo can at a Pawn Shop. I then mounted my spare 2 meter radio and TigerTronics Signal Link converter on a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. I took Styrofoam board and cut it so the radio and board was insulated from the inside of the can. Think of a shipping container used for electronics such as TV’s and computers. This provides the protection needed during an EMP. Just slide it in the can and secure the lid. When needed you just pull it out and hook up your power supply and coax. The Signal Link is used as an interface between my computer and the radio. I have packet software I use to connect with other link minded folks!
    Robin

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Robin
    The can should be grounded, unless it is in a Faraday Cage as well.

@Malgus
    One and only one correction for your presentation above, and that is this. EMP will track down a grid line or power line of any type, but in a wide EMP attack the entire grid may be of a similar potential, and have a greater difference between earth and the overhead lines, and not track outward.
    But a localized EMP would send a surge across power lines, radiating outward from the nearest point underneath the blast.
    If we are “beside” the blast, surge protectors may be effective. If we are “under”, then they will not matter, as you have said.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Guys this is my Faraday cage made from a steel trash can. Look how I made a copy of the can of cardboard on the inside, I also taped all around the can with aluminum tape.

Link http://www.gobuydomains.com/steeltrashcan.html

Also here is another link on the forum of EMP,

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/electrical-grid-down-how-many-will-survive/

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.