Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I’m a big fan of the AK platform. While a tool is only ‘perfect’ in its optimum usage conditions, the sheer robustness and functionality of an AK make it one of the leading ‘go to’ rifles for sure…

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

I think your reasoning is sound. Just keep stacking it high and deep, brother. As an added note, many people tend to want to push their weapon far beyond it’s capability. I believe that if you stay within the design limits and the purpose for it’s development in the first place, you will never go wrong. I know many people are always looking for that all-around special rifle that will “do it all.”

And I understand that in many cases there will be some over lap in their abilities, but generally speaking, it’s not going to happen. Trying to make a “sniper” rifle out of a weapon obviously not meant to be used in that way is foolish. I have my 50-150yd AK’s, my close in shotguns, and my long range Remington 700 in .308. Throw in a couple of Ruger 10-22’s and I’m set. Oh, and my wife is equally equipped.

This doesn’t include the handguns. Anyway, don’t let the naysayers distract you. Stock up, practice, and be confident it will do the job. Oh, one last thought. If you take care of your weapon, it will take care of you.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thank you , your right , I need to pile more on , I have a strobe coming for the AK , have a buddy that was in the military and ex Deputy , before he said the hell with both, and now is an air-conditioning repair man with no worries . Anyway , he took his tiny strobe off his gun and hit me with it in broad daylight , I was seeing bouncing white and yellow spots for the next 2 min. ….no way I could fight . So thats when I decided I needed one . More ammo now also that the Tailless monkey in the white house is trying to look like a human to the Russians .

Also right about the perfect weapon ….it does not exist . I have a Mosin , but more for fun than anything serious ( although , you could very well hunt with it ) , I think that the Russians using it as a sniper rifle was more because they didn’t have anything better on hand at the time WW2 started , than its actual ability in that role . But they were very affective with it .

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I use 7.62×39 (Mini-30 and AK) and 7.62x54R (Mosin.) Why? Because I can.

Robin

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I like both those rifles , fond of both the mini and AK . Makes for a good backpacker carbine , the mini’s 6lbs , vs my AK’s 10 . Ak stay home lol . BTW , if you ever are curious about your Mosins origins , I found a site that tells you how to identify .
    http://www.7.62x54r.net

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Roadracer, so far there has not been a cessation of the importation of 7.62×39. I don’t know if it will be a concern in the future, but there is plenty right now. The important thing to remember is that Russia is not the only one producing and exporting this ammo. Much of what we import also comes from the Ukraine, Germany, Taiwan, Serbia, and Romania, to mention a few.

As you mentioned, just about every manufacturer in the US now produces FMJ, HP, and SP 7.62×39. The guns and caliber are very popular so just the economic value of producing it will guarantee a good supply for quite some time. Of course, I can’t guarantee the price won’t change, but for the near future at least its ‘s still some of the cheapest ammo around.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

There’s a saying, stack it high and stack it deep. There are some things that are more important than money ;)

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

From a gunsmith’s perspective, the AK has certain advantages.

Stupid simple, extremely resistant to abuse and decently reliable.
    And they used to be cheap. Still are some places, just not here.

Negatives?
    Accuracy varies from gun to gun heavily, ammunition quality in many cases is horrific. I have samples that the bullets are out of round, powder quantity varies from round to round.
    Ergonomic? The AK is about as ergonomic as a brick. An awkward safety, poor stock sizing, and requiring various parts to mount optics properly.
    Worst of all, much like the G-3 platform, outside of minor parts swapping, serious ‘work’ requires tools and stuff that you don’t normally have in the field. (Rivet press, arbor press, etc)
    I’ve seen a couple AK’s taken out of action by a dented receiver before, and have one receiver in my shop that had to be replaced because the hammer/sear pin holes were wallowed out so far as to be unsafe. Rugged, yes. Indestructable? No.

The AK round can be accurate, given a consistent powder charge, good bullets and an accurate launching platform. As a hunting round, it doesn’t quite make .30-30 power levels, so it is somewhat limited in ability.
    But for urban use, it works well.

Me, I prefer more power and range, even when I lived in the city.
    More recoil, more expense, more weight, true but I don’t live in the city anymore and hunting is a requirement around here, not just defense.

But as a carbine for untrained combatants, that needs little maintenance, the AK is definitely a good choice.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

As far as the stocks go , the also vary greatly , they can be short and stubby ( which I hate ) or they can be full sized , A lot of the Yugo versions are full stock , I personally like the brick like ergonomics , I hate the AR’s that way , they just dont feel substantial , more like a toy , you can get erginomics too good lol . But as far as that goes , nothing will beat the non pistol grip , traditional rifles for that , Mini 14/30 , M14 /M1A . If you stick with the more expensive US made ammo , at least you can depend on certain standards .

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

If you have a good AK and good ammo, they will perform out to 500. But to get the good rifle and ammo your going to drop enough coin to by 2 rifles and 2x the ammo. It’s all in what you feel is required.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

That is true , sometimes
    good enough ” is all you need or can afford , especially when you feel you need a lot of other things at the same time . Prepping sucks that way .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Bullet weight alone says you never want to shoot up an automobile with a bullet that frags all over the place like a 223. The AK bullet however …. nice little round holes thru and thru.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Speaking of that …………..I dont have a 308 , BUT I once saw 40 rounds of Israeli tear gas ammo !!!!!!! made for going into vehicles and gassing them out . I still kick myself for not getting them .

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

UPDATE : I have a Ruger Mini 30 , I love it , BUT , I was out shooting the other day , and was using some of the cheap Russian ammo , and I had a few FTF issues , I had read about this complain with this gun , when it comes to cheap ammo , the ratio seems to be about 30% , when it comes to that kind of issue ……too high for me , so I sold it along with the 10 mags I had for it , and got another AK …………I’m too paranoid about how soon things might happen right now , to keep any weapon that is even remotely finicky .

Российское оружие только сейчас

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Smart move as far as I’m concerned.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.