Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

PSA announced build ready AK’s!!
    Finish them yourself for @$500 total.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-build-kits-barreled-receivers.html

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Main thing about an AK , is getting a good barrel , after that maybe a strobe and a red dot , then stop there . UTC makes a good rail mount for AKs . Its the overhead style , that clamps onto the side of the receiver , which is good because it allows you to still use the iron sights if you needed , and the lower rail makes operating the flashlight/strobe with your thumb , easy . The AK is a very good battle rifle , but just understand what it was designed for . It was designed for house to house , close to medium range fighting . Dont try to make it something its not , play to the AKs strengths when equipping it . They can be very accurate if given a good barrel , that everything to it . For a SHTF gun , the AK is a good all around choice . Just understand what it is , and you will be pleased with it .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The strength of the AK is its enormous home defense capability. What other weapon can you have sit in a corner for years and find it works perfectly when suddenly needed. You don’t have to have any accessories. The flash is enough to make thugs run.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I’d bet Selco would disagree with the flash being enough.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The sound and the flash. You’ll have to ask him. I usually call them a flash enhancer. You can’t outrun light speed.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have one Yugo version Ak , and the cowboy stock it came with sucks , so I replaced it with a triangle side folder kit , much better .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I have a matching parts kit for a polish tantal. It’s very strange though. There seem to be more parts than the average AK. Without a diagram it’s almost useless to me. And then there’s the ammo problem. 5.45 It also would probably require a receiver specific to that model. Maybe if I could get hold of an old tantal that somebody did a rebuild on. Not in this state though. AK history is very interesting however. It seems like a quality AK comparable to a Valmet. Next vacation to Arizona or Wyoming maybe.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Try APEX gun parts , they have things listed by country of manufacture .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

That tutorial was full of helpful advice. Just a footnote though. The Century Arms C39 is made in Vermont of all American parts. According to
    MB Vermont now has a new Republican governor.
    Palmetto state armory has a number of stores in South Carolina.
    6 of one or a half dozen of the other.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Just be aware , as I’m sure you already know , but just because its made in America , doesnt necessarily make it any better . We put out a lot of crap also . Look at the car industry , International Ordinance is an example of a garbage AK. We also tend to overprice , Arsenal is a good example of that . As much as I like AKs , I personally wouldnt pay more than $600 for one . Think of it as an AR , in the respect that you can get a solid bare bones one , then customize it to make it yours . Arsenal is way too proud of their product , I’m all for things being made here , but at the same time , lets get real about it . $1000 + for an AK !!!?????? , sorry man , but for that money I can save up a tad bit more , and get something that is better , FAL comes to mind , many others as well . I’m a big fan of AKs , and own a few of them . At the same time , I like them because of what they were designed to do , which is be reliable under appalling conditions , with the lack of care , the Russians knew a red army conscript soldier would give it . Thats why the tolerances are so loose . They look mean , and are just fun to shoot . All mine are foreign , because I want to keep the traditional ‘ flavor ” of the AK intact . American companies sometimes try to ” improve ” the design , which ends up defeating its original purpose to a degree . Century has gotten a lot better over the years , and at least makes the attempt to keep prices reasonable .

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

For anybody thinking of getting more than one AK , It would be a good idea to have at least one of them be an under folder . This shortens the weapons length considerably , while maintaining the full length barrel . This makes it ideal for a behind the seat gun , it also has the advantage of being easily used in close quarters , as it can be fired with the stock folded up . AK pistols ? I’m not a fan of them , but I can see their value in a room to room situation , where range is too close for comfort , good arguments on both sides for those things . I would stick with an under folder myself .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Personal opinion, the underfolder was an underbuilt nightmare on the MP38/40’s, on the AK they get beat loose in quick order.
    Plus actually cheeking one is only slightly better than the old Remington 870 top folder.

Sidefolder any day.
    But everyone has their own opinion.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have heard the Polish models have problems , I have both a factory built under folder , and a modified side folder , both are Yugo M70s with milled receivers . The under folder is new and only has had 2300 rounds through it , so far , no problems . Because of my light and red dot set up , the side folder , has to fold right , which makes it impossible to shoot in folded position . The problem with side folders is that because the ejection port on an AK is on the right , almost all the rail systems are left side mount . I have the Manticore triangle stock which is the lowest profile of what I have seen . The under folder is better suited for grab and go . Disadvantage is that you have to have the dust cover rail only , for it to fold up , if you want a red dot . If you dont care , and use iron sights , your golden .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually the Romanian and East German wire side folders as well as the AMD65 stocks allow the gun to be run folded.

And if memory serves, the MagPul Zhukov stock also allows firing while folded but unlike the others, you cannot access the safety.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.