Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“We know that airborne transmission of Ebola occurs from pigs to monkeys in experimental settings. We also know that healthcare workers like Dr. Kent Brantly are contracting Ebola in West Africa despite CDC-level barrier protection measures against physical contact with the bodies and body fluids of Ebola victims, so it only makes sense to conclude that some — possibly many — of these doctors, nurses, and ancillary healthcare workers are being infected via airborne transmission. It makes perfect sense that sick humans, as they vomit, have diarrhea, cough, and expectorate sputum, and as medical procedures are performed on them, have the ability to shed infectious Ebola particles into the air”

I made this same assessment weeks ago, only now are health officals and the media figuring it out. It is air borne.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/08/airborne_transmission_of_ebola.html

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is what I think will be the killer virus that everyone has been talking about for years, Airborne Ebola will go global so everyone please buy n-95 masks and gloves. Amazon has them. I purchase three boxes six months ago. Each box contains 20 n-95 masks.

You will read in the article that n-95 is what we need to have in storage.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I have lots of N-95’s and gloves, and gowns etc too, but I am reading that some recommend more stringent gear than that. Isolation may well prove to be the only true safeguard available to us.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you were to be in an area that is contaminated only a full face respirator and complete closed biosuit is going to provide 100% protection. The airborne virus is contained in micro droplets much like an aerosol spray. The droplets can get into your eyes. Decontamination will be a must before touching or removing any protective article.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, The CDC says the best is the 3M® HEPA Mask but remember this is the best one so it maybe a good idea to have them but when you are at home you would only use the N-95 and eye wear and gloves. In an area with a lot of people use the 3M® HEPA Mask,

Amazon has them http://www.amazon.com/3M-7182-3M%C2%AE-HEPA-Mask/dp/B0006FMK0W

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you purchase a Reusable Respirator like a 3M 6391 P100: you need new filters for every use. You cannot leave contaminated filters on the mask after you use it. The mask will need disinfection before and after each use. I would drop the used respirator in a bucket of bleach & soap to soak. I can’t say how long the respirator would hold up against a bleach solution though, the elastic straps will not last long.

If your respirator leaks around the edges when you breath in it is worse than useless. If you have facial hair it will leak!
    OSAH fit testing: https://www.osha.gov/video/respiratory_protection/fittesting_transcript.html

A full face respirator would provide better protection and the best is an air supplied respirator. Any of these are uncomfortable particularly in hot weather. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/respiratory/respirator_selection_advisorgenius.html

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Out of curiosity, how would scuba tanks and mask do for this sort of application?

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Eli,
    Can scuba equipment be used safely on dry land? I think it would need to be a full face mask. Fire depts use similar gear but I don’t know the limitations.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Agree with 74, in serious situations like described here only full equipment offers protecion, it is not only about breathing.
    Do not forget that one of the most important thing is to be ready for limiting your movement in (possible) outbreaks like this.
    That means you need to be prepared in all other fields to be fully self sustained for some time.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I guess tomorrow I’m visiting Harbor Freight for tyvek suits, googles and gloves. i ordered masks a minute ago. It’s not going to hurt to have them around. i’ll use them eventually for dust and chemicals if nothing happens.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes that is a great idea, I have some but will get more gloves and suits at Harbor Freight too.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Yep if this would every become the case I head off to our bug out location after a massive shopping spree (still need to get my preps sorted out since we moved) and try to sit it out. No way I would still stay in a city regardless of what kind of protection equipment I would have.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is very problematic. If someone should show up with ebola that has not been in Africa it means they were exposed at least 2 weeks ago. You don’t know how many people were exposed in that time span or where they were.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The 2 week is a problem. If we start seeing many reported here then we will need to stay home.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Every time I wear any n95 or n100 and try to do work the mask is saturated with moisture in short order. In the actual presence of ebola their only use to me would be as escape masks – minutes of use. I certainly would never think I could take care of sick people. Sorry CDC. I want one of those 160,000 special military suits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.