Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Been a particularly bad winter, feet not inches of snow, pressure changes and more.

Back was sore Monday evening but not bad.
    Tuesday morning, that’s another story.
    Went to get up, could hardly stand up.
    After getting ready for work, I literally couldn’t reach down to pick up a pistol. Had to leave it.

Got to work, no small feat considering all the bumps and such on the way.
    Opened up, and within an hour, I’m trying hard not to pass out. Had to go lay down and wait for the boss to arrive to leave.

Called the doctor’s office two hours before it opened, was there as soon as the doors were unlocked, again no small feat.

Causation? No clue.
    Been sore all winter but never before have I not been able to simply bend, crouch, reach and eventually get what I needed.

Sitting on the couch, awaiting the effect of the assistance I received from the pharmacist, I could only ponder what might happen if something happened during one of these spells.

Bug out? It takes 5 minutes to get up off the couch. And any twisting motion will cause the immediate change in plans, breathing becomes the priority. That and not falling down.

Someone wants to break in, they better be slow and stupid.

But again, what if something happens right now?
    Nearly 48 hours later, improved but still unable to operate at any respectable level.

Did I mention the inability to sleep?

I have to admit, this is one challenge I never expected.

Profile photo of benjammin
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

Yep, I know how you feel. Sucks to be getting older. But it’s not the years, it’s the mileage. Something you would come to realize is that, even with severe back pain, when the big adrenalin hit comes, you won’t feel it. Unless something is broken and won’t work anymore, the go juice can be a great temporary panacea. But when it runs out, oh dear Lord, you are gonna feel the pain come back in spades.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

WW…Don’t believe that’s an aging issue. But Drs. Aren’t going to have much good imput for you. Best guess it’s a virus. I had something similar and I think it came from a tick. We do wood heat cutting logs and stacking. I met another guy who had virtually the same thing. The Drs. Stung him out on meds and and he stabilized there. Barely able to walk and in pain. Very expensive meds! I never went to the Drs. My cure was hot baths and msm. You can get over it. Work on the immune system and resist. The alternative is becoming an invalid. It’s really painful though. For awhile I couldnt get comfortable in any position. And muscle cramps. Heat packs work.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Damn WB…. I share your pain…..

I actually started paying a personal trainer to get me back in shape to move better, started drinking tart cherry juice on a regular basis and changed my diet to exclude almost all acid items (except the cherry juice). It has helped immensely. The VA had me on Flexeril and Vicodin daily for years. I had to go through almost a full year of acupuncture to get to a point where I didn’t constantly need the medications. As a suggestion that has worked for me and several other people I know, I would look at preventative (natural) and alternative medicine.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

WB, in similar situation, I would try to find a good chiropractor, I.e., someone recommended by someone with similar symptoms, who has been helped by the one recommending. Like any profession, some are good, some not so good.

In my early thirties, while I was making my living as a draftsman, my back kept getting worse, and my right arm didn’t want to work right. I’d been raised to believe that chiropractors were quacks, so resisted my co-worker’s advice to visit his chiropractor. Eventually, my right arm drew up into a claw, so much that I could hardly sign my name, let alone draw plans.

With nothing to lose, I went to the doc my friend had recommended. Treatments 1 and 2 gave some relief, but on the third visit, the doc moved a little bone in my neck, and suddenly, the arm relaxed … completely! You never know … ’til you know.

Best wishes for your recovery!

Cry, "Treason!"

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Bulged disk, old work injury.
    Chiropractor is a good friend, puts the neck back on a regular basis.
    But the disk, he wouldn’t go near.
    Dr’s appointment tomorrow, may be starting the whole process over.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have stenosis, degenerative disk disease and osteophites all through my spine due to a 30 ft fall. Eastern medicine (which has been around for thousands of years) worked where Western medicine (only about 50-60 years old) and chiropractors (only about 30-40 years old) couldn’t touch my pain. If you get a good one, they can also use shiatsu massage, which works like chiropractic therapy albeit better.

Just saying………

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Oops WB. It’s going to be either fusion or replacement. You know playing in the cold is not a good idea for you. Cold deadens the nerves. That’s an advantage for some injuries. Backs and packs, those days are over. Get a wood rocking chair with no stuffing. Your back will thank you. :-)

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Oops WB. It’s going to be either fusion or replacement. You know playing in the cold is not a good idea for you. Cold deadens the nerves. That’s an advantage for some injuries. Backs and packs, those days are over. Get a wood rocking chair with no stuffing. Your back will thank you. :-)

You don’t have to deal with either one…. I am living proof of that. The Navy wanted to fuse 7 of mine together and I started doing some research, thinking outside of the box and parted ways with our military via med board.

WB- I am telling you and pleading with you to NOT just let some Western medicine hacks slice and dice you without checking out other options. Your physical being will never be the same…….

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Looking at all options.
    The hack I got stuck with the first time around was clearly in the pocket of the state and not caring about my future, just his vacations.

The point to this thread was not to be “woe is me”, but to make us all think about those times when we can’t do what we want or need.

Be it aging or injury, what is the problem and is there a solution?

For me, first thing was to move the gun before I get up, to as higher place in can reach. Simple.

Thank heavens I drive a large SUV, getting in and out of the wife or daughters cars? I almost have to fold myself to get in normally, now? No.

Just have to remember to lower the seat in the SUV to make it easier to slide in. Simple.

Stairs. Hmm, stairs.
    Those took waiting for the swelling to go down, before I could. Up wasn’t bad, but down was a challenge.

Moved the AR from one place to another, not bad. But then it’s a fairly lightweight gun on purpose. A friends AR10 in for tweaking, no. That’s not counting the recoil either.

I am reminded of an old favorite TV show, “Good Neighbors” aka The Good Life.
    70’s era early preppers, in one episode, one of the main characters back goes out at a crucial point. (Sounds familiar)
    Some of the ways the characters adapt are well worth watching again, throughout the show.

I’ll admit, this is the show that got me into this mess all those years ago. Ideas of self sufficiency, doing your own thing, highly inspiring.

So what are you adapting to and why?
    Perhaps more importantly, how?

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

WB (and others), both my wife and I are with you – not just in theory. WB, I didn’t read yours as “woe is me” – just reality, and knowing others here would understand, and care. It’s certain that many (most?) of the MDs don’t, sadly. Some of it may be burnout, after having to see so many people in distress (that most definitely happens), but that’s when it’s time to get out, because it won’t do the physician any good, and it certainly won’t do the patients any good. Plus, it’s got to be frustrating to them as they come to realize that they (and their teachers) really do not have the answers in all too many cases.

Us? Virtually done with anybody with MD after his/her name, except the outstanding ophthalmologist who has taken care of our eyes for the past several years, and did my first cataract no long ago. He’s an exception, however. Chiropractors? Gotta find the right one, which is hard – but when we have, it’s been entirely worth it. What we really wish is that we could find a highly knowledgeable homeopath. We had one once, and he knew more than the vast majority of U.S. homeopaths. He did some extraordinary things for both of us, but unfortunately we had to terminate that relationship for other reasons that far outweighed even the benefit we’d gotten from his professional work. There are many homeopaths in India that know how to practice at the level he did, but extremely few here. One thing that has become clear to us in the past couple of decades, especially, is that so-called “alternative medicine” has much to offer. Unfortunately, there’s not enough money in it for BigPharma and the rest of the medical research racket. If anything does come along, the government makes it illegal or too expensive to pursue – and medical insurance won’t cover it.

We’ve also increased intake of organic foods where possible, and will make a major garden effort this year (let that go the past couple of years). Additionally, we’ve done a lot of research on various types of food supplements. Many are over-sold and over-hyped, but there’s some amazing stuff out there as well. Some have made a substantial difference, others we’re trying, and still others we’ve found just don’t work (at least for us). Certainly better food intake has made a substantial difference. Regardless, as one old man once said to me, “Gettin’ old is an S.O.B!”

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Been a particularly bad winter, feet not inches of snow, pressure changes and more.

Back was sore Monday evening but not bad.
    Tuesday morning, that’s another story.
    Went to get up, could hardly stand up.
    After getting ready for work, I literally couldn’t reach down to pick up a pistol. Had to leave it.

Got to work, no small feat considering all the bumps and such on the way.
    Opened up, and within an hour, I’m trying hard not to pass out. Had to go lay down and wait for the boss to arrive to leave.

Called the doctor’s office two hours before it opened, was there as soon as the doors were unlocked, again no small feat.

Causation? No clue.
    Been sore all winter but never before have I not been able to simply bend, crouch, reach and eventually get what I needed.

Sitting on the couch, awaiting the effect of the assistance I received from the pharmacist, I could only ponder what might happen if something happened during one of these spells.

Bug out? It takes 5 minutes to get up off the couch. And any twisting motion will cause the immediate change in plans, breathing becomes the priority. That and not falling down.

Someone wants to break in, they better be slow and stupid.

But again, what if something happens right now?
    Nearly 48 hours later, improved but still unable to operate at any respectable level.

Did I mention the inability to sleep?

I have to admit, this is one challenge I never expected.

1. Hope you’re feeling better.
    2. Playing the “what if” game doesn’t do you any good. Know why?

Because I’m pretty stove up for being 49. Back blown, crushed nerves, a gimp on my best day. Takes me 10 minutes to get standing in the morning.

BUT…

But you can’t play the “what if” game and apply what you’re going through now to what you’ll be going through then…

When a life-or-death situation arises, you won’t even feel pain. Trust me. Adrenaline dump. I snapped my tibia a long time ago. Wrecked a ton of tendons in my right ankle. Ended up running almost two miles on that leg. It really didn’t start hurting until much later… the next day, I couldn’t stand.

Someone kicks your front door in? Oh, you’ll be up and moving and after everything is over you’ll be suckin’ something fierce… but while it’s going down, you likely won’t feel anything.

Don’t sell yourself short.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’m still thinking virus. Back not so much. Any type of flu will find out your weak point and cause pain. But it could be food poisoning or even a kidney stone. They hurt like hell to pass. The odd thing is it will go away and you still won’t have a clue. You have to give it time and the body will use its full immune defense against the problem. You could go on antibiotics as a precaution. Not really a good idea though. Take two aspirin and we ‘ll see you in a week is the response I usually get.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.