Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

First I would like to tie together several strings:
    The Five Stages of Collapse: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/the-five-stages-of-collapse/
    Enough is Enough: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/enough-is-enough/
    South African News: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/south-african-news/
    Survival Psychology: http://community.shtfschool.com/category/survival-psychology/
    Decision Making in Survival Situations: http://community.shtfschool.com/survival-psychology/decision-making-in-survival-situations/

To the first referenced subject I would also add another stage: Sixth Stage, After the Collapse.
    To the second referenced subject I would add: Is this all a build-up for after SHTF?
    To the third referenced subject: Is this a look to how things will be after SHTF?
    The fourth and fifth referenced subjects are background for this string.

So, the Shi* has hit the fan and we are now in times that require that we stop thinking of restoring our lives. Now we must learn to live with less, deal with more violence, deal with hunger, deal with death on a personal and everyday level and stay alive at the same time.
    As Selco has pointed out so many times you will not survive by yourself. You must have someone you trust to cover your back and to stand watch over you while you sleep. So maybe you have a group started and thriving before SHTF, good. Understand now that it will not be the same after SHTF as it was before SHTF. Groups are dynamic and fluid.
    One way or the other one person will be telling others what to do. He may answer to someone else or be one member of a ruling party. Go back and read Selco’s blogs (reference four and five.)

What prep are you doing now that will help you handle the world after the SHTF?
    Robin

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If I had to point to just one thing as being the most important, I would say it was relocating to where I did. That or having already mentally accepted that the future world won’t be as pleasant as the present. Too many will be like deer caught in the headlights, useless to themselves or anyone else.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Restoring our lives.
    Depending on your viewpoint and meaning, that’s what we all want and work towards.
    Those who survive wars/tragedy only want to restore their lives, as much as they can. To rebuild, to repair.
    That does not have to mean repeating mistakes.

Change happens, like it or not.
    The halcyon days post WWII are naught but a fantasy to many. ‘Leave it to Beaver’ has been replaced by Kardashians.

The “can we” question once asked should have been coupled with “should we”.

Survival post-SHTF is multi layered, between the minute to minute, the daily and the long term.
    Without some vision of a future, of something better, of some sort of restoration of normalcy, what is the point of survival? It’s only ‘not dying’ without some future, something better.

What am I doing now?
    Loading ammo, rebuilding the gun collection, building the food storage, trying to redesign the water storage system, minor and major improvements to the house and vehicles. Planning this years hunts, trying to find time to get some firewood cut, and more.

Planning on a future. Regardless of what happens.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Interesting thing about extreme hardship , it brings back conservative values and religion .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“To the first referenced subject I would also add another stage: Sixth Stage, After the Collapse” Robin

I think we are init. We haven’t experienced the civilization ending EMP or war event, but we are deep into the the stages of collapse.

Stage 1: Financial collapse. Faith in “business as usual” is lost.
    Stage 2: Commercial collapse. Faith that “the market shall provide” is lost.
    Stage 3: Political collapse. Faith that “the government will take care of you” is lost.
    Stage 4: Social collapse. Faith that “your people will take care of you” is lost.
    Stage 5: Cultural collapse. Faith in the goodness of humanity is lost

Overlaying these stages on the present it is easy to see we are far down the road of a collapse. The financial collapse has been an on going event for 50 years. To me this one statistic; that in the US 49% of adults are not employed, is proof of our collapsed state. The wamb-bamb event some expect may or may not occur. We could just continue to slide down into the stink of abysmal swamp. Stage 2-5 are on us now.

I’m reminded of the changes in Europe and the Middle East as the Roman Empire collapsed. Civilization didn’t disappear it changed forms. The collapse of the Roman sphere of influence took 500 years to occur. We are in a transition period, things look like they will get worse, and if a major war erupts heaven help us.

What I’m doing now is teaching my children to think, analyze and act accordingly to the situation and advance their life styles in preparation for changes that they may experience without my guidance. I’m about 98% complete.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The Western empire collapsed , but the Eastern empire kept going strong until the 1400’s . They were already separate nations when the Western empire collapsed . The Eastern people didnt call themselves Romans anymore , they were Byzantines , as the capital of the Eastern empire was Byzantium , later capital Constantinople . In our country , some regions will remain stronger than others . I dont see Maine , going into a free for all panic , like I would in the transient Southwest , where its full of conflicting cultures and drifters from somewhere else . That is one thing I have always envied about the Japanese , they are by in large a homogeneous culture , they tolerate other cultures , but they are not really welcome .

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

In another thread this morning I wrote:

\

Precious_Roy, I doubt anyplace in the world can be considered safe come WWIII or a global collapse. Some places will be safer than others however. The key variables in my opinion are the extent to which an area can feed itself, has ample water supplies, the ability to stay warm in cold climates, distance from major population centers, and the underlying culture of the region.

In my “underlying culture comment” I was thinking in terms of whether the area’s culture was relatively homogenous vs what we see in so many places with significant culture clashes, be it racial, ethnic, or even urban vs rural. As noted in the past Northern New England is relatively homogenous and won’t be quickly at war with itself. Hopefully you’ve got yourself back to Maine at this point. The Southwest is a disaster of epic proportions waiting to happen as soon as the grid goes down.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, MB,
    I’m pretty sure you’re both correct on all your comments. The US like the Roman Empire consists of multiple disparate entities that will separate or congeal at different rates. We shouldn’t expext uniformity.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Like real estate agents say…location, location, location. The vastness of the country with its many climate zones, differing topographies and levels of natural resource, huge swings in population densities, and a plethora of cultures that vary from region to region will make for uneven impacts if it all comes crashing down. In South Africa it seems our members down there have described differing levels of deterioration and overall conditions dependent upon where you are in SA.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

One minute to midnight on the Doomsday clock. It sounds to me like they changed the meaning of the clock from nuck war to world systemic crisis.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.