Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tsar Alexander
    Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

Yeah, I know I have been creating a lot of topics lately, rest assured I will stop making so many soon.

All that being said, I think I have wanted to ask for a long time, not just for myself, but for all young (17-22) people in America:

What should I (we?) do?

Do any of you have any advice for someone going off to college in some big city? In terms of food preparations, learning skills on the side, and such?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tsar,
    To start with find like minded friends (that could be a tough nut). When your ready, raise your kids to think straight, and have a lot of them.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Don’t let the college turn you into a sheeple. Ingest knowledge but it should be proved by at least two different source’s. Read the college position paper on concealed carry. If it is allowed on parking lots then I suggest you get a concealed carry permit and go to a pawn shop and buy a low cost weapon (some folks like 9mm but I like 45acp.) Find a cheap (but not run down) storage site and get a small locker. Buy a few plastic totes. Fill them with items like cranola bars, rice, corn and beans (uncooked.) Get a “fire starter” or two. Keep one close and the other with your “stuff.” Buy cases of bottled water (some Wal-marts sell it for under $4 per case.) Buy a POS (piece of sh*t) bike and keep it in your locker. Work on it when possible to make it reliable. Buy a lock (outstanding quality only) to put on your locker. Key type only (no combo or digital.)
    Print out the different strings on this web site you find interesting. Research those topics at your library.
    Get a part time job as a waiter, bus boy/gal or any job dealing with the public. Outstanding source of intel is what people talk about when they are eating or waiting to eat. Plus this will help pay for your Preps.

Do not ever ever think you know it all. Learn something new every day. Today I learned out “M2″ from the “Velocity of money” string.

Robin

Profile photo of rickwatts
    rickwatts
    Survivalist
    member1

Look for “bump proof” Keyed pad lock. I have personally bumped common Master brand locks and found it too easy. Spend extra for better protection. If you can’t find or afford it, get Vaseline and ram as much into keyhole as possible to make bump opening harder. Then clean outside to original look.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Put back some money, REAL Money, as in Silver (or Gold, if you can afford some).
    Silver will rise in value faster than Gold, but Gold carries lots of value even in a single ounce.
    You can take these with you if you have to bug out!

All good advice, just adding a bit ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Get a credit card. Yes I do recommend having one, but just one.
    Only use it when you have the cash to cover the charge. You get home, write the check to cover the charge immediately. Internet orders, same thing. That way the payment hits about the same time the product arrives. You are establishing your credit history without incurring interest. Do not slack on the payments, do not put them off, make them immediately.

$5 preps. Focus on the little things you can do with only the pocket change you have. Canned goods, 1#bags of rice, beans, items that are not only easy to fix, but that can be eaten without cooking.

Forget your car if you can. Convenient, yes but saving on insurance, gas and maintenance will add up. Most campuses have a decent public transportation system. Put it in storage, get it out to go home if you keep it.

Figure your escape plans ahead of time. Not just shtf, but weather, traffic (football game snarls) and the like.

For the entire time I lived in a college town, 12 years,, I could load everything I wasn’t abandoning in an Aries K car. You don’t have to own junk, but be prepared to leave much behind.

Get involved with or form a medieval group. Learn the lifestyle, methods and tools of the middle ages. Yes this includes swords, bows/arrows, axes, cast iron pots, tents one actually live in and the like.

Don’t be afraid to take unusual classes/activities. I took several years of capoeira with a bunch of granola chewing hippie wanna-be’s. It was non contact, and advertised as a dance method/style. What it is, is a highly effective combat method disguised as a dance.
    The hippies and I both learned something from each other. And not to underestimate the other.

Don’t put anything in a storage unit you are not prepared to lose. Accidents happen, theft occurs regularly, I used to investigate these thefts on a regular basis.

School loans? Make payments on the principal as often as possible, even when its not due. You make a couple hundred extra in side work, apply it to the principal of the loan. And mark the payments as such.

Camp and fish as much as you can, they’re cheap entertainment and keeps you out of the places that will cost you massive amounts of money. Volunteer with your local Boy Scout troop, you will learn stuff and get a lot of knowledge quickly.

I’m not going into weapons, at least at school, too many campuses have varied rules. I won’t advocate doing anything illegal or that may cost anyone jail time or get them kicked out. I will say that while in college I was armed, legal or not, but I made that decision and was willing to live with the consequenses.

Were I to have firearms for emergencies, hunting and such, my choices would be cheap, rugged and simple.
    Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9mm compact
    .22 rifle for small game and fun (keep it simple, no tacticool)
    SKS or AK for defense and hunting.
    None are ideal, but reasonably priced, fairly inexpensive but not cheap and serve more than one duty or purpose. They’ll get you by.
    Some places a shotgun makes more sense than the rifle, but experience has shown that more meat can be gained with the rifle.

Questions?

Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

Thank you to everyone who has provided advice, I have taken note of all suggestions.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Bless you Tsar…can’t say I would like to be your age as all this is coming to a head. In comparison, growing up in the 60’s and 70’s was a piece of cake compared to what your generation has to deal with.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Let me say that my advice to get some Silver has a couple of modifiers:

1. You cover the basic preps FIRST, and cover them well.
    2. Don’t over do it on the PMs, especially if you have a likely bug out ahead of you,
    meaning you have to get out of the city or certain area, and weight is a concern.

But real money (gold, silver) is more of a bridge to after SHTF.
    Value during chaos is very limited, and can even be a liability!
    Selco just had a post addressing this, and I had to agree 100%!
    I should have sold my silver when it was $50 but I held it. I could
    have sold it all, bought twice as much when the price dropped
    and still had a nice profit for my efforts. It’s good to have, but
    don’t make that your primary focus. You will have time to earn
    money after the “Big Reset”

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>tweva wrote:</div>Bless you Tsar…can’t say I would like to be your age as all this is coming to a head. In comparison, growing up in the 60′s and 70′s was a piece of cake compared to what your generation has to deal with.

I have to admit, I feel my prospects for surviving aren’t that great honestly. And even if I do survive, I doubt I will want to see the new world.

Considering the cultural shifts (or rather, degradation) of this country, it makes me wonder if this place is even for me anymore.

Still, thanks for the advice everyone.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Don’t go there, Tsar…

We need people like YOU that know it is all fugged up, to stick around and help US make it BETTER!
    I have plans after SHTF BIG PLANS. You should too! I’m older, but youth is needed to make it work!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>undeRGRound wrote:</div>Don’t go there, Tsar…

We need people like YOU that know it is all fugged up, to stick around and help US make it BETTER!<br>
    I have plans after SHTF BIG PLANS. You should too! I’m older, but youth is needed to make it work!

Too many youth in my opinion are too blindly left leaning in values. That is not to say tolerance is unimportant, or that I hate leftists (at least if they rationally articulate a position). But it seems a lot of our culture now (the youth) gladly celebrate the collapse of standards, and pray to the cult of diversity, and that this whole PC thing in universities and workplaces is getting out of hand.

Maybe even a bit sadder, is that I somehow feel that some of those diversity cult worshipers will turn into the worst SS style racists if/when bullets start flying.

I can’t see exactly right now how you/me/we can nudge society in the right direction. Then again I could be wrong.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

“Too many youth in my opinion are too blindly left leaning in values. That is not to say tolerance is unimportant, or that I hate leftists (at least if they rationally articulate a position). But it seems a lot of our culture now (the youth) gladly celebrate the collapse of standards, and pray to the cult of diversity, and that this whole PC thing in universities and workplaces is getting out of hand.

Maybe even a bit sadder, is that I somehow feel that some of those diversity cult worshipers will turn into the worst SS style racists if/when bullets start flying.

I can’t see exactly right now how you/me/we can nudge society in the right direction. Then again I could be wrong.”

I know how you feel. But think about this, huge numbers of people will NOT make it, and even the “lefties” that do are not going to want to go down THAT Road again. There will be a huge backlash that will cause survivors to return to the tried and true principles that made this country great. Plus, technology suppression will be OVER and we can start with a clean slate on many things. Those with the leadership to bring a group through the fires of the reset will be looked up to as “founding fathers” if they continue to lead benevolently. Anyone that makes it will be worthy of a clean slate, a second chance if you will, to make a new, better life and world for all their offspring. It’s kind of like a huge natural selection process, and you have already passed the first couple of questions in the test ;)

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

PS: It will not be a NUDGE, it will be dragging society by the nostrils down the path it should be going. I have not seen Zeitgeist or anything like that,but I am speaking of a “New Awakening” that will occur after SHTF.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

I have thought for some while now that the west has hit “peak liberalism,” meaning we are approaching the farthest limit to how left wing a society can get (in the same way Germany in the 40s was peak racism/right wing). I imagine the new western world which may emerge after a good many of us have died, or at least lived through hardship would be……. new. Likely something a lot less idealistic in terms of abstract ideas and goals. In some ways, our present troubles have been building up ever since the real start of western civilization, with it’s ever slowly expanding scope of freedom.

Sure, (social) freedom is a good thing, but I feel we should have stopped somewhere around 1999. There are limits as well.

Looking back on my short life, I actually have some fond memories of the good ole’ 90s, mainly that not everyone was completely covered in pointless tattoos, and airport security was not legalized molestation (then again, I was only 4 or so….)

Take us back to the 50’s? At this rate, I would settle for the 1990s! :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.