Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

When I shot my first group on this target I thought to myself, finely a load that shoots a tight group. Before shooting my hand loads, I shot 3 fouling rounds at a gong, not wanting to screw things up with a clean barrel on the first shot on paper. I only loaded 3 rounds at each powder charge, so I didn’t want to waste the first group on a difference in the barrel condition. Earlier I was using 5 shot groups and switched to 3 to save powder and bullets. Each group is 1/10 of a grain more than the previous group. Shots start in the center above the bull and then follow clockwise at each corner.

As it turned out this was my only good group. Not that the loads were so terrible but my shooting was. My first group is 4″ high above the bull, the group measures 7/8″. The first 2 shots of the group measure 3/8″. Oh man was I happy. The high shot I knew was from me, not the gun, not the load, but something I did.

All the other groups fell apart. The third shot on each string drops off the chart. I’m not certain if the problem is because I’m don’t have much time using a bipod, or I’m jerking the trigger. The trigger on the gun is not wounderful I might see if I can lighten and smooth out the trigger. But anyway I did find a load the stuff into the rest of my brass. 40 grains of TAC behind 168gr Hornady match hpbt.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Are you letting your breath out when you shoot. How’s your heart beat.

400 yards 1000 yards…what?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    This is a new problem after I put on the bipod.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Not enough information.

Gun, style of bipod, direction the legs fold? Mounting screws hitting the barrel?

In afraid your second post is the most telling, go back to sandbags for groups until you can work on technique.

1/10 increments? Waste of powder and bullets.
    Unless we are talking about a bench gun,
    The gun won’t notice the miniscule variation at .308 levels. The .223 maybe,

On more than one occasion, shooting a mess of ammo with powder charges that spanned 5 grains difference, I got a better group than with one solo charge.

I don’t trust a 3 shot group, even a five is suspect. Ten or twenty, now we are talking.
    Twenty? Yup, putting a new target over the last one, stacking em every 3-5 rounds. Now look at that bottom target and see what the rifle is capable of. Will it be a pretty cloverleaf? No.
    But it will be a true indication of how the gun will do, not luck or a fluke group.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    I don’t load 20 rounds at each charge just to find what the gun likes. I doubt that’s what you ment to say. I already shot the upper limits for this powder in half grain increments, and yes it is important, that half grain is the difference between burst primers or not, rght at 42.5 grains. It’s a bit puzzling because no other high pressure signs are apparent at 42 gr… At 42.5 the primers are not flattened but the primer starts to flow back into the firing pin hole. I could switch to a harder primer but the groups aren’t worth spending the extra money to pursue it. 1/10 grain incriminates works for me and is not a waste of powder. The difference between 40 grains and 41 grains is about half a moa. When I hit 40.5 the group opens up. The gun shoots off bags fine but bags are a pain to move around. Sometimes I want to do easy. I can see this load will shoot sub moa all day if I do my part. I’m going to try prone and see what happens.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

So I ordered a new Timney trigger to help eliminate my vertical stringing. The stock trigger although not horrible is still heavy and not really crisp at let off. The pull is about 8 lbs. The new competition trigger is a single stage set at 3lb.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I was back at the range today with the load I selected, 40 grains of TAC behind a Hornady 168 gr match hpbt. .762 Lake City brass and a CCI primer.

First I shot from prone. I was hoping for better results but I couldn’t get comfortable because my neck is stiff and sore. In fact it was down right uncomfortable. I switched to the bench and shot the second group, 10 shots of rapid fire.

My first 7 shots stayed within 1 MOA then opened up. I believe from the barrel heating up. This gun doesn’t have a free floated barrel and as the barrel expanded the muzzle deflects downward. At least that’s my guess. Over all I’m happy with my load and the gun. I can adjust my aim to correct the point of impact after the barrel is hot.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is a good article explaining load development testing.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/long-range-load

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.