Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

All good points made here.
    I believe i count as one of the ‘younger generation’ – born in the mid 80’s.

Re ‘true’ friends, I agree. I have no-one my age that i think would seek me out to save me. This said I know of 5-6 other friends I would trust with my life if they happened to be around me when TSHTF.
    I have one true friend about twice my age (one of my ex-psychology professors from when I was at uni) who I would judge I have a “true-friend” relationship with.
    I have my wife and father-in-law and my family I trust in the same way.

I am also clear about my ‘social-acquaintances'; those who’s company I enjoy from time to time, of these there are possibly 3 that i would put myself in danger for without even thinking about reciprocation (they might, I don’t know).

I utilize Social media for intel, and for appropriation. I have, (and indeed collect) people (in particular locals in the know, those with skills, and the grey/black market doorways) as social network ‘friends’. This means that I can put a message, request for info or items, question, or warning [if appropriate] out to a large group of individuals that i have some social capital with.

This approach has saved me time, money and needless irritation on many occasions and has also helped to position me within the web of the local social hierarchy [i even run a local community page to assist with this]. I try to be known for knowing things and helping people trouble-shoot any issues they have.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Great topic, one we all need to keep in mind. If one is Blessed to have two true friends, perhaps those two have two others who have two others. In time, your two friends becomes a tribe/family.  Those key members can motivate and serve as examples to others as to what it means to be real friends. Thus they can be catalysts for the development of greater cohesion within one’s group.

Jay, you are so right about loneliness of a crowd. Just being in the presence of people does not prevent loneliness. On the contrary, it can often exacerbate the feeling. It all goes back to human interaction as you rightly said. People, at least most of us, cannot live and thrive without genuine relationships as it is in our nature. I pray that nature will allow those of us who love God, Family, Liberty, and Country to survive and prevail in this war that is being forced upon us.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost Prime, I believe God has a plan that can’t be stopped.  God will prevail and his people will prevail too!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I utilize Social media for intel, and for appropriation. I have, (and indeed collect) people (in particular locals in the know, those with skills, and the grey/black market doorways) as social network ‘friends’. This means that I can put a message, request for info or items, question, or warning [if appropriate] out to a large group of individuals that i have some social capital with.

This approach has saved me time, money and needless irritation on many occasions and has also helped to position me within the web of the local social hierarchy [i even run a local community page to assist with this]. I try to be known for knowing things and helping people trouble-shoot any issues they have.

Great approach! I was in the camp of not maintaining friendships, because I believed that friends simply stay. True friends really do but in more casual relationships it helps a lot to do some easy “maintenance” via Facebook, Twitter or Email. For example you find something that could interest them and send it over. Strike a short conversation and thats it. That way you build this sort of social capital that can help you to make things happen.

This is not only just for profit but you also stay in the loop of whats going on in their world and can elevate a casual relationship to something more meaningful.

A couple who are friends of mine have made a business out of this. They are event organizers and help promoting new products. They are both natural born socializers and do this by simply networking and being at the heart of several important communities (so they have their own local Facebook community for the city and they launch themed events, for example she is doing a series of “power woman parties” for successful business woman and so on).

Its funny to see how they harness their network and ability to connect with people and created a whole business around it.

The same matters for us preppers to get the best possible information and be a person of authority. This is a huge job and I’m not sure if I would really want to become such a major socializer like my event organizer friends, but I did realize how important it is to build and maintain meaningful relationships for mutual benefits.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is good way to finish the job, and solve the problems. Network of “friends”. Not friends that you can count on in some life threatening situations, but people that you can count on when you have some problem to solve.

It is very hard to live alone, without connections with people around you. You simply need to be connected with those people from different areas of life. I know, and have those connections with many people, some from criminal “side” other from police force, it make sense to have good connections and information from different areas.

Real friends are maybe one or two, but there s other folks who can help you a lot.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Selco, that is funny that you should say that, as so many people in the prepping world have or are cutting off anyone who isn’t prepping or “useful” post SHTF.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirli why do you think that is? I think some of it is ego like if you don’t have interests like me I don’t have time for you and some of it may be that they are nieve. To me it really shows they have not had much experience in survival situations or don’t have a good survival mind set. Survival is about using what you have available and making the best you can with it. I guess it could also be kind of like the Pharisees in the bible not wanting to be associated with criminals.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is quite useful to use any resource, being alone maybe look romantic, but in real world it is hard to function like that, and you can find yourself without proper information in right moment.

My English is not good enough to put it on correct way maybe, but there are friends, and friends. There are huge difference between them, but everyone can be useful in right moment.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlybird,

Cutting people off for those reasons sounds very norrow/short sighted. That type of thinking is a red flag to me that they could present problems in the future due to their own self imposed imitations.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I understand what you are saying Selco. One friend is someone you just know and the other is more like someone you see as family or a brother.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I have noted that many state that they tried to “convert” or teach others, be it friends, family and the like. When they didn’t immediately fall into lock-step, or buy into their favorite scenario, those that just wouldn’t listen were abandoned effectively.

These same people are often the ones who are the most vocal about those friends/family who make comments like, “When SHTF, I’m coming to your house”, and follow that up with something like “No you won’t, I’ll meet you at the door with a gun.”

Profile photo of SeTe
    SeTe
    Survivalist
    member1

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Jay wrote:</div>That’s why we have so many people suffering from depression because they are lonely (while still surrounded by people). Meaningful relationships grow through shared experiences. Real experiences. Once you take that away, you end up with hollow constructs that are not holding up well once some **** happens.

You nailed with that statement. Many of the “antisocial” “acting outs” are directly related to this issue, think of the killing of more then on person (group) in the USA as example. Social media is anything but social, it is anti-social regarding connecting with people on more then a superficial level. There has to be commonality and interaction one on one face to face.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.