Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

How do you weigh such things in a group shft situation?

does asking the question if everyone would do it would it make things better or worse?

DO you apply a double standard of us vs them group internal morality vs outsiders?

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

For me when in the field it was always “us/them.”
    “Good” was things/events that helped you.
    “Bad” was the other stuff.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Good things for you can be a bad thing

ie stealing you get something other loses

or is your view that it is only about the individual regardless of the situation?

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

It is/was hard for me to separate individuals from situation. You have a task/chore/mission and you do what is required to complete that mission. There may be many components to that task/chore/mission. Stealing is never accepted no matter the reason.
    All the above applies to a group SHTF situation.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t have the universal definition, but I know it when I see it.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I agree here with 1974, I know, and you probably will also know when you see it.
    Also be prepared to all combination of good and evil in SHTF situation, and some rule flexing.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In a SHTF it will not be easy. Good can turn evil real fast and evil maybe turn to good. So I agree with 1974 & Selco.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

This is a very interesting question.

My personal philosophy is Im good as long as I can afford to be good. I plan things ahead and try to think them through. If in doubt I opt for the safer solution unless I can afford going for a calculated risk and the losses I might have can be handled.

I also see my family or my friends and me as one single unit. So I always look at the overall pain and gain. If I suffer a little but someone close to me benefits a lot, then we overall gain something so it makes sense. I expect the same from people around me and Im pretty picky when it comes to people I associate with because of that.

I think being good and doing good is a precious resource that should be wisely used and invested into people that deserve it. Once you do this and pick the people around you carefully you will get the same or even more back and everyone benefits. This is the difference between having positive and productive people around you or toxic people that hold you back and drag you down.

“Good” as in being good or doing good is a construct of our society. Given that almost all humans do what they can and consider best in their situation everyone does good all the time, just not always for others and mostly for themselves (which might have negative consequences for others).

More simple people also often see less options to act or scared people settle for the tried and proven paths because they do not want to be burdened by fear of the unknown along with their general anxiety. So often what appears as someone doing something bad is just a result of their limited worldview or choices that were reasonable for them at that point in time.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

The question(s) are really answered based on the belief system of the individual and or group don’t you think? If a group starts out without a core belief system that is not shared – problems will definitely arise.

The fundamental basis of all sin or evil is self for self’s sake. IMHB

Profile photo of drop bear
    drop bear
    Survivalist
    rreallife

To me, it’s about realising that there are so many different sources of info for ethics/morality (religion, community expectations, life experiences, etc), taking it all in, then being flexible enough to draw from our personal core to fit the situation.

I remember, years ago, sitting in on a discussion about the moral dilemma that since telling a lie is a sin, what would you have done if you were hiding Jews in WW2 Germany and soldiers knocked on your door and asked if you had any Jews hiding in your house. Some said they’d say ‘yes’ and trust God to resolve the situation, because they’d not tell a lie.

Not good IMHO.

I believe every situation, location, population is different and morph my core to fill the vessel as presented without straying beyond the corona of my personal light (except to fetch more firewood).

One sake short of crazed!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.