Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dutch_viking
    dutch_viking
    Survivalist
    rreallife

2 years ago demolision company started too break down 8 flats in my neighboorhood so i wanted too get a feeling how it would be like too live in war zone this was as real as i could find too test my self ,it was ocktober and chilled tempratures nothing else than the clothes on my back and an firesteel and small items i found a place with a big hole in the roof ,the rain and wind made it hard too sleep, i made a smalll fire in the corner with some old furniture and even made some tea no sugar so that sucked but kept me warm ..with some old boxes i made a wind breaker ….in the morning i was cold semi wet and hungry my back hurted from the hard surface ,and tired of not sleeping because i heard all kind of noise maybe i got little paranoid .the surounding looked sureal. Happy too go back home butt happy i took the step and tried it out.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good test Viking, I “slept” like that many times, and it is not something that gives you rest.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

That was a great idea. No one really knows what things will be like when it really happens unless they have been through it already. That is why it is important to use your survival equipment. Many things look great on a website or in a magazine but when put to use they just aren’t practical. better to find out in an experiment or test than when your life depends on it. Find your limits, test your limits and know your limits.

dutch_viking
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks matt76
    I learned a good lesson fire is great for keeping a sane mind ,it keeps you warm and keeps the spirrits up even a small fire gives enough too boil a small cup of tea thar warms youre body core and best lesson use multiple layers of clothing being cold and wet is not funny :)

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Had a flashback….lol

Neil young and Crazy Horse Band – After the Gold Rush
    I was sleeping /lying in a burned out basement …..

Not much fun but at least I remembered the song.

dutch_viking
    Survivalist
    rreallife

@ Brulen :) cool :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The best test I found for myself is winter camping in the snow. Everything is a little more challenging dealing with the cold and no real escape.

dutch_viking
    Survivalist
    rreallife

true 74 cold hands, wood is wet so making a fire is a challenge on it self ,burning tons of energy just too stay warm i did a winter hike and camp last year it was a good learning experience ….. i prefer spring summer and fall ……:)

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I think I will try something like this. I will be testing my BOB (bug out bag).

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Everything gets cold and freezes including your water. Your food cools fast and freezes in the pot. Cleaning becomes a chore. Your hands get wet then cold. Then your spouse get pissy and it’s time to go.

dutch_viking
    Survivalist
    rreallife

the thing i loved most about that camp trip , in the morning i woke up it was a bit foggy all the brushes where coated in white and while i was siting by the fire a beautiful red fox sitting between the brush watching me without fear ….about 10 meters away ….i remember holding my breath really awesome .
    i forgot my camera i can still punch myself for that today …..
    my time in the woods this year will be little i just became a dad 10 months ago and after 2 years i finally found work again …..
    good thing is my finances going up again so i can upgrade my gear and tools …..

Profile photo of dillon44
    dillon44
    Survivalist
    member1

Some years back I was deer hunting, a small storm moved in and the sun disappeared, not much rain
    but it remained cloudy. It was in early Dec. and the temp began falling as dark approached, I was about 2 miles from my truck in heavy timber and decided I better start back, somehow I got off track and lost my trail and had
    no sun to check my direction. I continued to retrace my footsteps in hope of finding my trail but to no avail, I
    was turned around and lost.
    It had now turned completely dark and I had no idea which way to go, no compass either not for a area I hunted for years. Any way I began to panic and started moving very quick through brush, briers ect. only to end up falling down a small outcrop of rocks, lucky for me this stopped me in my tracks without injury and made me think that if I didn’t
    slow down and figure out a plan I was going to and up hurt or dead. so then and there I started to think, what can
    I do to get out of these woods. I knew no one would find me for a day or so because i didn’t tell anyone what location I was hunting. I knew I couldn’t go on in the dark and figured the best thing was to wait until morning, so that’s what I did. The temp. was now about 20 degrees F. and getting colder so I sat there on those rocks and figured my next move. I was dressed in winter clothes and had a lighter w/ me, I made a small fire and man did that help in ways you wouldn’t believe, I began to think better and remembered my father telling me as a boy, if
    you need to stay warm in the woods cover yourself in a big bed of leaves, I gathered more wood and buried myself in leaves next to the fire. As night progressed the sky had cleared and it became much colder but I was
    warm enough not to freeze to death, I kept that fire going all night and even nodded off for awhile.
    Come morning the sun was shinning and I was able to get my bearings, turns out I was not to far from my trail
    everything looks better in the daylight. I soon found my way back to my truck and drove home for a hot bath and warm food. I will never forget that night in the woods and I’m thankful I stumbled over those rocks, because that gave me the time to start thinking and stop panicking. I now let someone know where I will be and carry a compass even on my own property. Lesson learned.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

GREAT post Dillon. This is exactly the mindset that Selco and I have been working with in planning the upcoming Urban Survival Course and one of the reasons having the right venue was SO important!

http://community.shtfschool.com/urban-survival-essentials-course-in-zadar-croatia/

Anyone that wants to truly test themselves and ‘confidence check’ their plans should come along!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.