Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Proteus 55
    Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask anyone of you that might know, how could I lessen the IR visibility when I operate the Night Vision monocular. I know there are better ones out there that don’t rely so much on the IR boost switch, but right now my finances do not allow me to upgrade and I want to use what I’ve got. So any advice as to how to conceal (or lessen) the IR signature is welcomed.

Thanks,

Proteus

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Proteus,
    Do you have a switch to turn on the IR emitter? If you do, turn the NV unit on and use it in passive mode. It will pick up someone else’s emitter passively. Use your IR emitter in critical conditions when you feel it is necessary.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

IR is not needed with Gen 2, 3 or 4. In the military we only used it to signal to others when we KNEW there was no one else around with NVG. Other than that, I have never found the need for it.

As for the Gen 1’s out there, you can get the “Ghost Hunter” model that is about the closest to Gen2 as you can get.

IR is for illumination when your NVG’s don’t get enough light to the tubes. Get something wtih a good tube and you don’t need the illumination.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

thanks for the good advice. Yes it has a switch so I can use it in passive mode. Picking up another emitter gave me an idea as to setting up location(s) with IR emissions and remain hidden elsewhere while observing what passes through the corridors. Plan to use it mostly in areas around the house including paths and corridors indoors to spot intruders.

Sledjockey,
    thanks, I’ll keep the Ghost Hunter in mind. At the moment though, I can’t upgrade to another model due to limiting finances, so I got to use what I got. Will upgrade when possible.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Proteus another benefit(depends on which side of this you are on) you may not be aware of with the IR illuminator is that a lot of clothing reflects the IR light back, basically making the clothes glow in the dark when viewed through the NVGs. I found this out from one of my trail cameras when I walked passed it at night. I was in full camo but the material in my jacket reflected the IR making it look like I was wearing a yellow rain coat when viewed through night vision. You should experiment in your closet with the lights off and see if any of your clothes are IR reflective. It would be a good thing to know if you ever had to hide.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Matt 76, excellent, thanks for pointing this out. Will have to try with my clothes and see. I recently noticed that some paracord variants are light reflective, as perhaps the aim is to be seen during emergencies but for the purpose I want, I need stuff that assist with being concealed in order to set up or evade any intruders. NVG will help to monitor the area while remaining hidden. Going to check on the fabrics used on my clothing, including gloves and other accessories.

Profile photo of dg
    dg
    Survivalist
    member1

If you are researching this for the purposes of defending your property (inside and/or outside your house), and definitely in a known and pre-set environment (as opposed to some unknown place where you might have never been before or have had no control of), you can experiment with cheap and very low-light equipment.

For example:
    1. In my garage, the light switch has a tiny red light to show where it is located in complete darkness. When I am not using an NVD (SPARK CORE II – an improved Gen2), I just barely see a red dot: it does NOT create surrounding area illumination at all. But with an NVD, it works like a lantern which helps me see for at least a few meters around it.
    2. For the backyard, you can get those self-powered/solar-powered lights which you just stick into the ground, they get charged up during the day and release some light at night. If you use it to illuminate your driveway for a car, it’s useless garbage: it emits way too few lumens to be of any use. But if, on the other hand, you look at the area through NVD, it’s well-illuminated.

Note how both examples show devices that you do NOT carry/wear on you.
    They illuminate the area (be it a room or an open space), while you use it to your advantage from some other concealed place.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thanks dg, excellent ideas regarding surveillance of known place (the house and its environs). Will implement them in my strategy. I wonder how radiators, oven in kitchen and other heat emitting sources would affect visibility as they also emit IR.

Profile photo of vim6
    vim6
    Survivalist
    member1

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask anyone of you that might know, how could I lessen the IR visibility when I operate the Night Vision monocular. I know there are better ones out there that don’t rely so much on the IR boost switch, but right now my finances do not allow me to upgrade and I want to use what I’ve got. So any advice as to how to conceal (or lessen) the IR signature is welcomed.

Thanks,

Proteus

Proteus,
    By any chance, is this the one you have ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I5IS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00006I5IS&linkCode=as2&tag=geesgu-20&linkId=BVPSY3Z3WC5GHXHX

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Hi Vim6

No, I have the Yukon Patrol 2X24 monocular.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.