Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Or, “The Music Thread Redux”

This thread is just me making some uncomfortable observations….

Posted a thread asking Selco what impact music had on morale. Was listening to the radio on my way to get some tools so I could repair a piece of furniture we have (instead of buying new, overpriced, Made In China garbage) and this song came on the radio.

Blue Collar Man by Styx.

When I was younger, and this song was still new, all I thought of it was that it was a good song… now that I’m older, educated and frankly, cynical, the lyrics impacted me hard. Hadn’t heard this song in decades, but I put the “Classic Rock” station on (Classic Rock is a polite way to say “old”)…

Today in America, the parasites – those on “Government Assistance” (more polite code designed to not offend) now outnumber the producers in this country… a recent poll showed that over HALF of Millennials said they were “entitled” to a good paying job and all sorts of freebies… Good lord…

Contrast this with the lyrics of the song…

“Give me a job, give me security
    Give me a chance to survive
    I’m just a poor soul in the unemployment line
    My God, I’m hardly alive
    My mother and father, my wife and my friends
    I see them laugh in my face
    But I’ve got the power, and I’ve got the will
    I’m not a charity case
    I’ll take those long nights, impossible odds
    Keeping my eye to the keyhole
    If it takes all that to be just what I am
    Well, I’m gonna be a blue collar man “

Loads of stuff here for social commentary… Determination and sheer grit – a guy at the end of his rope willing to do anything it takes to make a living, make ends meet. Societal shaming - I see them laugh in my face. Guy refusing to take handouts, a guy that still has pride – I’m not a charity case..

Not some whiny Minnie saying they are ENTITLED to an education or a job or a life… a guy who’s one goal is a fucking JOB so he can support his family…

I’m thinking this song, if made and released today, wouldn’t even crack the Top 100….. self-reflection isn’t a Minnie trait… there’s some who got their head screwed on straight, but in general they’d rather whine and have **** handed to them than do what needs to be done to make it… bunch of butthurt whiny little shits that they are…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Don’t forget “cowards” as related by our distinguished AG – still applies to these types although I’m sure that’s not the way he meant it. Wonder what will happen if the producers decide to quit “providing” for the non-producers? Back during the depression (the real one) days, men picked up their fishing rods and squirrel rifles and fed their family from what they could catch. Wonder how many would do that today or just sit by and wait for “rescue” by papa gubmint? I’m betting it would be damn near a complete reversal – they’ve just been too structured to getting their handouts.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

No first they would come kick down your door and take what you have because it isn’t right that you have all this food and supplies and won’t share. And the news paper will read that you shot someone in cold blood who was just trying to feed their kids. Look at the work ethic of the generation coming up. They don’t like to work and think they should start out as a manager or something. By golly they have a degree that say they are too good to pick up a shovel. I don’t see it quite as much in rural areas but I still see it. Don’t even get me started on common sense. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but good lord some of these kids are dumber than a box rocks.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

LMAO! “Dumber than a box of rocks!” I haven’t heard that one in a while!

CONCUR!

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

You cant be a blue collar man ………….when the nation you live in , no longer has factories to work at inside your own country . I hear what your saying , but at the same time , the conditions that made America the land of opportunity are disappearing quickly . If it was not for our military might , we would have hit rock bottom already , but thats coming soon enough . Three things have destroyed America , Liberalism , Greed , and Government . All the problems we have in this country can be tracked back to one or more of those three things , ALL of them . It would be good for everyone to learn a second language …………………….you may need it later .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

As I recall Tommy Shaw wrote that song after a conversation with a friend, who was doing just what the song portrays.

The song might break the top 100, but there’s no one to sing it.
    Having seen Styx live, I can’t think of a current band who could pull off this or several other Styx rockers.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

Well at least this should give us over the hill folks some job security! I remember members of my family talking 30 years ago about getting pushed out of a job by the younger generation. I’m 43 with a strong work ethic and resume at least I won’t have to worry about getting pushed out since the younger generation doesn’t want to work!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Sorry but you’ll be retired because you make them look bad.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>By golly they have a degree that say they are too good to pick up a shovel. I don’t see it quite as much in rural areas but I still see it. Don’t even get me started on common sense. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but good lord some of these kids are dumber than a box rocks.

Going to college or university IS NOT an “education”. That’s just how you get credentialed….

The word “education” comes from the Latin ex meaning “out” or “beyond”, plus ducare, meaning “to lead”. So, an “education” leads you out beyond your understanding of the world, life, etc… only very rarely does college or university do that. Outside of the hard sciences, I wouldn’t give a plug nickel for the rest…

I’ve spent a good portion of my life tramping around the world – some on my own, some working for Uncle Sugar – seeing how others live, their expectations in life, their day to day problems. Such far flung places as Moldova, Namibia, Panama, the Middle East, Colombia, almost all of Europe. I’ve seen firsthand, on the ground, the results of policies and different political systems other countries inflict on their citizens… it’s not some in-the-classroom mental exercise or theoretical model preached to mush-head Minnies as being “better” than ours.

One of the most touching moments (yeah, I have a heart… don’t spread it around) was in England. I had a friend. Flew helicopters off the HMS Invincible (kept teasing him about tempting fate by naming the boat that.. :) ), even though close friendships between enlisted men and officers were frowned upon (he was a Commander, I was a lowly buck Sergeant). Took leave and went upcountry to the Lake District to visit him and his family. While I was there, I took a walk (in the rain… it always rains in England. It’s miserable, but it makes up for the lousy food). Found a bench in some unnamed park, next to a small lake, and I sat down to watch the ducks…

After a while, this old man came along and sat down next to me. We started talking about this and that and I found out he was a paratrooper, like me. Fought in WWII. Green Devils. So, there we sit, the young para and the old, discussing life and politics and war and everything… I asked him what he thought about the current state of England. The old man was silent for a minute or two, and then he told me that since he was my age, he’d seen his country decline. Not due to the citizenry, but because of the policies of his government in spite of what the citizenry wanted.

He got choked up, then he got mad. Started cursing the politicians in office and what they were doing, had done for decades, literally pissed all over the memory of all the good men who died defending England… spent his whole life a patriot, working, playing by the rules, and for what? The pols, they sold out his country… and they smiled as they did it. I shook the old man’s hand, wished him luck and then trudged back in the endless rain…

The world doesn’t owe anyone a favor, or a life, or anything. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something. All men are NOT created equal – yes, some are better than others. Some are smarter and faster and stronger and possess a greater will than you do. To think otherwise – to not only deny the very reality in front of your face, but to insist it’s not what it is – is a pretty good working definition of insanity.

I was fortunate enough to be twice blessed with a sharp mind and a good school that beat a good foundation into my head (them nuns at Saint Anthony’s were merciless), but my education didn’t begin until I went out looking for it myself. And it’s still not done…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

My college education cost me the job I had and has never helped me to get one since.

FYI – Common sense is so rare it is a super power.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.