Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/23/texas-town-without-running-water-sandbranch

Conspiracy or just plain laziness and entitlement?

What kind of person will live in a place with no sewer, no running water and survive on donated bottled water for 30 years?

As an off the grid experiment this is one thing.
    As a way of life?

I could write a couple of grants and get enough cash to do it all in a weekend.
    They’ve had 30 years to do anything but haven’t.

I’ll be honest, I’m flabbergasted.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

The article goes on to list a whole host of “reasons” why the town can’t get water, such as contaminated water in the area, being in a flood area, not economically viable for Dallas to help them out, yada, yada, yada. Personally, I think it all boils down to one sentence:

“We got six cases of water from a donor but two have already gone in the last hour,” said Keahey, eyeing the line of people waiting for their weekly handout of food and water from the Mount Zion Baptist church in Sandbranch … .

Translation: “I’m sittin’ on my a$$ a’waitin’ fer somebody else to take care of me. And I’m blamin’ it on my skin color.”

(The latter sentence of that translation comes from the direct quote in the article:

“We don’t have water here and you know why? The pigment of my skin. If I were white like you I bet they’d have water down here.”

Then there are the two seemingly incompatible facts that (1) the average monthly income in Sandbranch is a mere $720, while (2) at least one resident talks about getting her so-called news about the injustices of the world from MSNBC (which does NOT come through inexpensive antennas on over-the-air local broadcast TV). As usual, people typically spend their money and their efforts based on personal priorities….

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I was trying to be polite in my original post, least as much as I could..

Composting toilets, a couple of 275gal water totes, an electric or gas on demand heater, reroute the downspouts to fill the tanks.
    A couple of thousand each and they’re set, but it would require effort.

Even bringing in a water truck weekly, it would be easy enough to buy a used one and just fill up at the neighboring plant.

This ain’t rocket science, there’s always companies looking for good press and a write off.

Regardless of color, a bunch of freeloaders.
    Unwilling to work towards tomorrow and a future.

They won’t last long at this rate.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

“… I bet they’d have water down here.” Who is the “they” who brings, unbidden, a free clean water supply wherever some paleface happens to be without? I’d like to meet the people who do that.

Cry, "Treason!"

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

GS , Well said !

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

but it would require effort

exACTLY! :-)

And like LT, I’d like to meet the people that’ll do that effort for me. My Social “Security” is going up a whopping 2% next year, but will be more than eaten up by Medicare and Medicare supplement premiums. I need them do-gooders to come find ME while I sit here waitin’ on MY handout! Heck- I PAY taxes, and my pigmentation apparently qualifies me for all KINDS of them freebies that them folks in Texas caint git but seem to know about. Fifth house on the left – I’ll be sittin’ on the front porch in my rocker.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.