Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hi Everyone,

A seemingly strange title, but with good reason. Here you can see Selco’s Latest Article

http://shtfschool.com/general/2016-a-year-in-review/

Enjoy and please do join in on the comments!

Yours in health,

Toby

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

To be honest, I don’t know that I could add one bit to Selco’s insights. Excellent article! I’m just thankful to have been pointed to this site and have the opportunity to consider my own positions and perspectives, and change some accordingly. Thank you Selco, Toby, and those that work with you to help others better understand what only those that have “been there, done that” can really truly understand. The rest of us can only intelligently plan for it as best we can, and carefully try to understand the perspectives of those who really do know.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Excellent article. Being aware of local threats at all times is critical but you can’t lose sight of knowing what is going on regionally and globally that might affect you too. Few make the effort though.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Few make the effort though.

It really is amazing how few people really seem to even want to know about the things discussed in such places as this. Their denunciation of people like us as kooks is largely because of a natural human phenomenon. I think it’s because of the combination of cognitive dissonance and denial – particularly in relatively wealthy, relatively violence-free countries like the US, Canada, Australia, some parts of Europe (but that seems to be rapidly changing), for example. Cognitive dissonance for those that don’t know is the internal tension and anxiety that results from holding two beliefs that can’t both be true. That often causes the person to do something to reduce or eliminate the bad feeling they get – and often it’s not the best choice. For example, if one lives in a relatively crime free area, has adequate income, has a job, and has people all around that are in relatively similar circumstances, the appearance is one of safety. But turn on the nightly news, watch it daily for a period of time, and a different perception begins to creep in. Both views can’t be true, it would seem, so the person goes into denial (a VERY powerful thing, not entirely or even primarily conscious). It’s what addicts do so very well. When they tell you they can quit any time, they truly believe that. And if they do so just to prove it, and fail, it’ll be somebody else’s fault that they were DRIVEN to resume the addictive behavior – no personal responsibility.

So it is with prepping. If I prep, I have to admit that I believe my relatively comfortable life is not all that secure. And if I don’t have some other preps underway (spiritual, social, emotional), I could easily give up in despair, or go the other direction and become militant in retaliation against who/whatever is causing the threats. Either of those ways does not bring peace. So denial works pretty well, and cognitive dissonance goes away – all’s well, after all. That works with government and politics, SHTF preparation, disaster preps, etc. Most people avoid confronting the obvious, preferring to maintain their denial so as to avoid the cognitive dissonance because it’s so deeply disturbing.

And we remain “fringe.”

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks for the insights. Food for thought indeed!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.