Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is pretty interesting for from a prepping perspective. most of the weapons have been brought up in discussion on this forum. I wish they had weighed every kit and put it in the write up.

http://www.tickld.com/x/13-complete-soldiers-kits-from-the-armies

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

And regardless of how much they carry, they all want it to be lighter.

As tech has increased, to make our lives simpler and lighter, you’ll notice what has happened.
    Bulk, mass and weight has increased.

But so has effectiveness.

The funny part? The 9mm Browning that’s in the last kit, not normal issue except to certain groups.
    And they’re being replaced with Glock 17’s.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Thanks, for sharing 74. Very interesting comparison.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Very interesting. I wonder where these collections are from. It doesn’t look like a museum display.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Very interesting indeed! Thanks 74!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Very interest read. It still looks like a lot of weight, it is a young mans game for sure.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

That is a LOT of GEAR!!!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

With technology advancing like it has, smaller chips capable of doing 10x as much, you would think that there would be some type of multi function item that could do it all thus reducing the number of items needed to be carried. Instead the more capabilities we have discovered the more gadgets have been required to counter those advancements or at least level the playing field. The last picture is truly amazing. It’s hard to believe how much those guys have to carry now.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,
    Like an anti gravity suit, or an exo-skeleton. Developers actually are working on enhanced exo-skeleton equipment.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Very cool.. good find 74… very, very cool…

It’s interesting that the mace used in the Siege of Jerusalem makes an appearance almost 700 years later in the trenches of WWI… I suppose if you have a genuine need to clout someone in the head, Old School is still the best school… :)

Tobacco makes its appearance as an issue item right around the time of the American Colonies, then disappears..

I know there’s nobody left to ask for most of this stuff, but one wonders which items got dumped first. Most of this stuff is the stuff they make you carry… once you get in the field, some of that stuff gets dumped. Some from necessity – the guy at Arnhem wouldn’t have any use for the parachute in the upper left hand corner the second his feet hit the ground – it would have been abandoned. On the other hand, Arnhem guy is carrying 16 magazines of 9mm (that I counted) – that’s a pretty good bit of weight, and it wouldn’t be abandoned.

Some are funny… check out that huge Gen 1 boat anchor of a night sight for Falklands guy. We had the same thing. Never used it. Most times, we left it in its transit case. It was almost next to useless anyway.

Still, a very cool find, Mr. 74…. some things never change.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus, before we went into the field we would “rat-pack” our MREs and other gear. Double up on stuff you like and trade off the rest. Makes carrying stuff easier.
    Two things that never got traded/loaned: “Tobasco” sauce and nibble for your canteen (used to drink while you have your MOP mask on.)
    Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ Robin,

I hear ya… we ditched plenty of stuff that was just superfluous or downright useless…

Heh… Tobasco sauce… even the most vile gruel tastes better with Tobasco… never could stand Chicken a la Thing… that stuff was nasty…

I was disappointed to recently learn that those little bottles of Tobasco aren’t included in MRE’s anymore… they went to those squeeze packs like you get in a fast food joint…

I usually ditched my sleeping bag and went with the poncho and liner. The supply goobers always gave me a bag that was too small anyways.

Never had a use for the brown “bear suit” we used to get issued, so Adios to that… Never bothered with the mess kit, either. In 13 years of service, I never used it. Not once. In fact, I ended up polishing it out of boredom until it looked chrome plated. (Ended up in a bit of trouble over that… I mean, how do you “un-polish” something?) Just usually packed a spoon and a P38.. a P41 if you could steal one from the mess daddy…

I remember getting in a pile of trouble (Me? In trouble?!? I know, right? What are the odds?). We got this new 1SG who mandated that everyone carry Kiwi boot polish, a brush, cotton rag, etc, for polishing your boots in the field… The face you’re making is probably the same face I made.. :) So, I “forgot” to pack it… oops. No reason to hump that crap around, and I never met anyone who had the extra time to polish boots on deployment…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.