Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

OK. Someone walks up to you and hands you $100, with the only qualifier being you have to spend it on preps.

How do you use it?

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

You would axe that.

Profile photo of benjammin
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

Put it towards getting my pickup fixed. It is going the shop next week for repair work. A good running pickup is one of my main preps.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

You would axe that.

Okay?

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I don’t understand. Why is no so difficult to say. Nobody gives you anything without wanting something in return. A smile a nod a wink. Quid pro quo?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay, first because the word “axe” was used instead of “ask” one might assume that you were referring to the purchase or choice of an actual axe without any other details.

Secondly, you didn’t say no.

Thirdly, this was posted as a mental exercise to see what various people might come up with that is different, each of us could come away with a few new ideas that are reasonably inexpensive.

To the rest of the forum, still looking for ideas.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I would by an additional CDI (ignition controller) for my motorcycle. Store in a F-cage of course.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Okay… A mental exercise, got it now.

5 – 1 oz. Silver Eagles. You don’t know what they will be worth in the future but odds are they would hold some value. Even as a momento of a certain year their authentic quality would be valuable. Something that would be hard to counterfeit.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

You can get a vacuum sealer for less than $100 . A vacuum sealer makes you more versatile . It gives you the ability to solve certain problems . It can not only take the bulk out of food items , and make them last longer by sucking all the air out , but can also be used to pack small items together . I have used it on clothing , its a one time deal , but again , takes the bulk out of it . You can also put together fire and medical kits with that thing , keeping everything dry until you need it . They now make bags for use in stashing firearms for vacuum sealers . Light coat of oil , suck the air out , sealed and protected .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

All excellent choices.

Little thing about vacuum packing firearms and ammo, unless you pad them somehow, they will poke holes in the bag.
    Even the heavy duty “storage bags”.
    Learned that one the hard way.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

On the vacuum sealed no food items. There are reusable vacuum bags on the market for compressed storage. Any vacuum cleaner with a hose will work with them. They also can be used to vacuum form molded fiberglass parts.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

With vacuum sealers (we wouldn’t be without one), remember you can also get canning jar attachments to seal regular canning jars. That could be VERY useful for some items where breakage of the jars isn’t too likely. We store a good bit of food in vacuum-packed 1-qt and ½-gallon jars (don’t even THINK about the small mouth jars, though – get the wide mouth jars). If you use a FoodSaver device, you can get the wide mouth adapter at Amazon for about $10:

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/

Once sealed, you don’t even need the screw-on cap – if you’re using decent canning lids, they won’t be knocked off the jar, they’re really sealed solidly by the outside air pressure on the lid. CAREFULLY use a bottle-opener, with minimum pressure to pry up an edge until air starts seeping in (you’ll hear it distinctly), and you can re-use the lids many, many times if you don’t distort them by trying to just quickly pop open the tops with a lot of force.

If I just had a spare $100 right now to spend on prepping, I’d get 6-7 more “LifeStaws.” They’ll filter 1000 gallons of water each to nearly perfect safety. You can be prepped to the hilt, but without safe drinking water, you’re done.

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4/

Finally – though bulky, consider spending some of that money on toilet paper. I suspect that will be a HIGHLY appreciated barter item in a widespread SHTF situation – either that or paper towels, or both. Of course that assumes you expect (or hope) to be relatively stationary, given the bulk.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Okay… A mental exercise, got it now.

5 – 1 oz. Silver Eagles. You don’t know what they will be worth in the future but odds are they would hold some value. Even as a momento of a certain year their authentic quality would be valuable. Something that would be hard to counterfeit.

Good Answer! :D

Prolly what I’d do but then again, I like batteries I scored $1.100 worth of batts for $64.20 at a Radio Shack closeout sale :D It was a grab bag, $60 huge bag that you can stuff anything into that they have. It was 90% off as well, but I just took the greater discount. Nearly 95% off that way! ALL Lithium Ions except I got 6 “D” Cell size Lithium Thyonyl whatsit’s still need to determine if those can use the same charger… o.O

How’s everybody been doing? :D

I think SHTF is this summer, looking like a financial Sh*t-Storm but the lefty bastards are trying to get the snowflakes into full meltdown mode. Too bad for them they have trained them as video gamerZ and momma’s boys and girls LMAO!!!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Oh, I forgot to mention that those Lithium-Thyonyl cells pack a TON of power,
    a regular 18650 is normally rated up around 3,000 mAH, the bigger 26650’s I have seen up close to 5,000 mAH but these D-Cell things are 19,000 mAH which is phenomenal! Wish they’d had mostly those, I want to build up some 12v UPS packs and those would really pack a punch…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Just got a pair of regular 18650’s to go with a flashlight I am reviewing.

Maybe I’m late to the party, but I’m really liking them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.