wildartist
wildartist
Survivalist
member7

Thank you, Gypsy, for this valuable information. It will be very necessary in coming days. Nothing keeps the wind from going through you like leather; and nothing keeps you as warm as fur. The Inuit of Alaska used soft young caribou fur-side in for underwear, and heavier furs, fur-side-out, for outerwear in subzero, blowing cold on the tundra. Now, of course, they buy their thermal underwear from Sam’s Club in Fairbanks…

On large hides, tweva, I know Native Americans “work” it by rubbing back and forth (person holding each end I believe to keep pressure on it) over a pole lashed horizontally between two trees.

I have dried/salted raw steer hides but never tanned one. Yes they were stiff and didn’t smell that good either. Used one for a rug in my bedroom as a teenager, in the Ms. Dan’l Boone stage. I think Mom finally had it put outdoors ;)

We used to give our moose hides, especially from young ones, to a Native man in our Alaskan village. He brain-tanned them (I never learned, and regret it) then smoked them. I have a beautiful pair of his beaded moccasins with beaver fur collar, and the smoke is still fragrant.

I really appreciate this post! Maybe I will try it on squirrel pelts–the season opens in 30 days and I am eager to try my new 10/22 takedown. Bushrat ordered it for my birthday. He is a sweet man…