elijah
elijah
Prepper
member6

I don’t understand why so many of those kids made an issue of using headphones; don’t they use ear buds to listen to music on their phones?

Anyway, while it’s possible for a people who have some form of technology to revert to ignorant barbarism in one generation as knowledge dies out with the older generation, I doubt this will be universal.

One reason for my view is that, for the first time in history, immense amounts of written material exists that tells the reader how to do or use certain things, or how to make them. Past civilisation collapses didn’t have the benefit of the printing press and much word of mouth knowledge died. Of course there would be a problem if books are commonly destroyed or if teaching children to read fails, but there is a better chance than before of much knowledge continuing on to later generations. I can add that for preppers who are planning for a long term or permanent collapse, a plan for educating children and collecting books about everything would be a good idea.

As for the ability to manufacture new things, this can be much more problematic because so much of our ability and machines depend on the intermediate stages that came before. Some of that knowledge and skills and machines have been lost, and when our modern manufacturing machines fail their may not be the means or knowledge to replace them after a general collapse. Can you imagine trying to manufacture new silicon chips without the modern factories that make them, and having to start from scratch? And like technology, science (so called) is built upon the shoulders of what was known before.

This can only be hard in a long term situation, because improvements in technology require some spare time for contemplation, wealth and resources to explore and develop new ideas, and these may all be in short supply in the future. Even today, without the collapse, the reduction in the quality of education has given us a generation that knows less than the generation before, and that one less than the generation before them. Education is of the utmost importance in a civilisational collapse situation.

But I don’t think it will get to that stage. As a person who believes what the Bible says, it appears to me that while the world will in many respects be barbarous on social and ethical fronts, there will still be technology in the future time because there will be a multinational empire (which implies elaborate communications and transport abilities) and massive armies crossing thousands of miles, with all the logistical infrastructure that is implied to do that. What’s more, this will happen even with the Earth in a state of catastrophic tumult. However, this tumult won’t be evenly spread across the Earth and some areas will survive better than others. Therefore I think that technology has a fairly good chance of surviving, though I guess that on a local level it may be necessary to return to a less technological way of life.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!