Jay
Jay
Survivalist
member3

Right now there is a very interesting Question & Answer thread about climate change going on over here.

Hi, I am Stephan Lewandowsky. I am a Professor of Cognitive Psychology at the University of Bristol, and I was a Winthrop Professor at the University of Western Australia for nearly 20 years before I moved to the UK a year ago in search of adventure and worse weather. I am also affiliated with the Cabot Institute at the University of Bristol. I have been fascinated by three big issues for the last 30 years as a researcher and scholar: How the human mind works, how people organize themselves into societies, and how the way we live fits within the constraints of our planet.

I received my undergraduate degree from Washington College (Chestertown, MD), and a Masters and PhD from the University of Toronto. I served on the Faculty at the University of Oklahoma from 1990 to 1995 before moving to Australia in search of adventures and great weather.

I’ve published around 150 peer-reviewed journal articles, chapters, and books. Most of them deal with basic memory processes and mathematical models of the mind, but for the last few years I’ve become increasingly interested in climate change and how people deal with the risks posed from climate change.

I discovered that climate change research, sadly, is confronted with the dissemination of a substantial amount of disinformation. I have applied my research to this issue, and a small handbook that summarizes the literature on how to debunk misinformation can be found here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/Debunking-Handbook-now-freely-available-download.html . The Debunking Handbook was written by John Cook and myself and has now been translated into virtually all languages short of Swahili.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")