wildartist
wildartist
Survivalist
member7

Other countries are risky. Depending on which one, of course. We go to India a lot, and it is terribly corrupt. We had to pay police bribes (twice in one hour) just to get out of the city with “suspicious” luggage on top of the hired SUV–just to avoid getting hauled down to the police station and questioned for hours. (It was obvious we were not locals, therefore had to be rich… and a source of money.) If things go down, your American money will be worthless for bribes. Or for getting out. It’s a risk we take every trip.

We have a friend who grew up in Haiti (missionary daughter.) She nods her head at our stories, and said if she or any other American/foreigner were within sight of a traffic accident, it was somehow their fault and they would have to pay something to somebody, or risk a mob. Similar in some parts of Mexico (not even counting drug cartel areas.) Yes, I am cynical, but you are not going to fare well in some countries if it is known that something major has occurred back home–which I am assuming is what you’re asking about. I’m also making the assumption that you’re going to a risky/somewhat unstable country.

If the problem is local to that country, it’s a different story, if you can get to an American embassy–or find someone willing to take your money and get you out. Also, much lower risk if you are in a “friendly” country as stated above. Or one where you do not stand out as a foreigner until you open your mouth, at least. We cannot blend into the crowd in India…so we are obviously outsiders.

We have had to dodge bandits in the mountains, angry political strikes shutting down entire towns, protesting mobs, and were told it was wise to leave in March 2009 before the April national elections–due to probable bombs and other violence targeting railways and marketplaces. After we left one tribal area just last year, Maoist rebels ambushed and killed 27 state police and politicians travelling in a convoy. So far, God has protected us.

Plus, we have found ordinary people, if not part of a mob or faction, are usually much more helpful and humane than authorities.

Assess the risks, and make the choice. Then enjoy your trip unless/until something actually happens. We do.