bushrat
bushrat
Survivalist
member4

I would also suggest the need to sometimes track a wounded animal. I know, we’re all great shots and our firearms have tons of “knockdown” power. Wrong. I know we don’t want to, but you might as well get use to the idea that occasionally, you will only wound an animal. For whatever the reason, and the reasons may be numerous, they moved, you moved, your scope is out of alignment, the bullet pinged on a small branch and veered off target, etc.

Whatever the reason, now begins the “joy” of tracking a wounded animal through the brush. As Gypsy Wanderer Husky mentioned, there are ways to determine type of animal and direction. It’s also good to understand the difference in type of blood being spilled by it’s color and consistency. For example, if the blood is bright red, and maybe a bit foamy, then you probably have a lung shot. If after the shot the animal runs away be sure to take note of it’s direction of travel and then sit down and wait around 20-30 minutes. If it doesn’t feel pushed, it will eventually lay down and die. So, now you just need to locate it.

Of course, ideally you will have practiced with your firearm until you are comfortable with it, and are able to shoot it accurately over a wide range of distances you will find in your hunting area. But sadly, there will be those times when things just don’t go as planned. So, be prepared. :)