Profile photo of osagemarine
osagemarine
Survivalist
member3

His choice of rifles seems odd to me. I can understand telling people to go with a scout, but down playing .308? If a person can carry any semi auto rifle, I’ve used AR/M16/M4 and AK47/74/AKM rifles quite a bit. AKs will work but to really run an AK or HK or AR or (pick a rifle) you have to train and practice with it. Some one goes out with a buddy who was in the National Guard and spends an afternoon shooting a few hundred rounds and think they are trained. It is not that simple. If a person grew up hunting with pump action shotguns, might be better off with a pump action rifle if they have never had any training – especially if they aren’t going to get any training. A old simple rule of thumb, if you spend $1000 on a rifle, you might spend $500 on optics. With ammo prices and the cost of good training? That $1000 rifle just became $3000. I am very practical, if you grew up hunting, and you’re not going to get the training, stay with what you know – practice a little more. If you are going to get the training, by all means go get a nice rifle with optics etc. His rifle and scope, wild guess $2500-3000. I’m not going to leave that type of investment laying under a windbreaker in the back seat of my jeep. So, that is another thought. He also mentions carrying your rifle concealed, not to many long guns out there that a person can carry concealed in Southern California.

Flip side, some very good information. Maybe instead of volunteering with a local cop shop, go talk to the fire department. You might even get some medical training – most firemen are EMTs. Talk to the local emergency response agency, maybe you can volunteer to help with something. Will they ever call you? Doubt it, but you will get to meet a few folks, maybe even get an ID and Jacket. Those just might be worth their weight in gold. Even if you don’t want to volunteer I would recommend the FEMA ICS web site, you can take the courses and get an idea about some of the organization.

His recommendation for a small light pack I agree with. “Move light, freeze at night.” You want to be able to move. Make your pack and then go for a walk, most people in the western world can’t walk 25 miles in a day. Learn how far you can walk, then cut that distance in half – when you are trying to sneak and not be seen you move slower. For example, I live 40 miles from work. I will have to cross 2 streams and 1 small river. I walk on a regular basis and have done so my entire life. I could, in an emergency make the 40 miles in 1 day – but I am not a kid anymore and the next day (or 2) I would be useless. So make it 2 days. Now since I know from experience that I won’t be walking down the side of a road or up on the railroad tracks, that I will be stopping often to “look, listen, and observe” that 2 day trip just became 4 days. So where will I stop? I have several picked out. Where will I make my water crossings? My pack is similar.

The only other thing I would offer is plain edge on the knives – you can sharpen a plain edge easier than a serrated.

I think for him, for his “mission” he has a good plan. For someone else, maybe not. Think everything through, then go back and play devil’s advocate – what can go wrong. I like the old simple questions: Who, What, When, Where, How and Why. If you can answer those, then you can start your planning. Anyway, my thoughts.