Profile photo of L Tecolote
L Tecolote
Survivalist
member8

This isn’t the days of Kennedy’s nationwide physical fitness campaign, or the days of the American Freedom Train touring the country (look that one up – I’ll bet very few even here have any idea what that even was, or what it was about).

While I was in the third grade, in San Bernardino, we learned about it, off and on for a week or so, then one day, went a short distance through town by bus, to see, and walk through, the Freedom Train(!) I remember seeing (under glass) copies of the Constitution, Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, and what was purported to be the “Golden Spike,” driven ceremoniously to celebrate the joining of rail lines from East and West, at Promontory Summit, Utah, together with the silver railroad hammer allegedly used to drive it. We also learned the first stanza of a jazzy tune (written, as it turns out, by Irving Berlin, sung by Bing Crosby and played — often — on network radio stations.) :p

Other than the experience of walking slowly through those display cars, my memory of that brief tour is somewhat vague. I believe it was Spring, 1948, since we were past the midpoint of that school year. I do recall that a lot of the classroom “lesson” concerned the recently created United Nations organization, and the “happy” prospects that through US membership, “we” (the USA) would soon be bringing the wonders of “Freedom” to the rest of the benighted world. I realize now (as I mostly missed, as a seven-year old) it was just one of many school indoctrination campaigns to promote Globalism, and wars that politicians had no intention to win.

Cry, "Treason!"