Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

’74,

What you say is absolutely true – steam is a pain.

However, I look around here and what do I see? Water. Wood. Coal. Even though Kentucky has small amounts of oil off to the southwest, what I don’t see is the price of diesel coming down anytime soon. The nearest refinery to us is Ashland, clear over on the eastern edge of the commonwealth, right up against West Virginia…

And how much diesel would I have to stash? 1000 gallons? 5000? If you think solar and wind power can produce enough electricity to run a turret mill and an engine lathe, well… It might be just dandy for around the house, running a mixer so you can make Margaritas or a toaster, maybe even something larger if you have enough deep-cycle marine batteries in series with an inverter…

I’ve found a place that sells ex-military equipment. They have several big 5K and 10K diesel generators that can be mounted to a handy concrete slab… but diesel fuel is outrageously expensive. Those big gennies will make the power, sure enough, but I would have to have quite a bit of diesel stashed. Not like you can hide a 2000 gallon tank of diesel like a set of car keys… 1000 gallons of diesel X 3.75 a gallon = $3750 dollars. 5000 gallons is almost 19 grand… I just don’t have that kind of scratch…

I dunno.. ****, 74.. now you’ve gone and harshed my mellow… created doubt where there was certainty…

Meh…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1